Many of us seem to be getting new cars this year. What are your plans?

Started by Atomic, June 03, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

When will you purchase, lease, acquire your next vehicle?

This summer
Within the next few months
Next year
Already did or about to within days or weeks
Hanging on to what I currently drive for a long while
Not sure
Never
Through an estate, time unknown
When gifted
There is nothing out there that I like so wanting for the right vehicle
Other (Specify)

Vinsanity

Quote from: CJ on June 26, 2012, 10:14:14 PM
The Benz.  It's a real coupe...and I much prefer the interior.

it does have moar pistons...

Raza

It's also a very expensive C class with E class styling. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 26, 2012, 10:19:34 PM
it does have moar pistons...

The A7 has the S4 motor.  Trust me, it's fast. 

Although its real competitor is the CLS550.  Those are the two cars my mom was looking at when she was shopping.  And we know how that story ended.  E class coupe is a money grab, don't fall for it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Almost, but not all of the side glass disappears unfortunately

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27547.msg1740579#msg1740579 date=1340793669
The A7 has the S4 motor.  Trust me, it's fast.  

Although its real competitor is the CLS550.  Those are the two cars my mom was looking at when she was shopping.  And we know how that story ended.  E class coupe is a money grab, don't fall for it.

Interestingly, though they're quite different cars, the A7 and E550 coupe are both about the same price brand new. I agree that the A7 seems to be a better value, but the E550 has that beast of a motor under the hood.

Atomic

Quote from: Atomic on June 03, 2012, 07:21:52 PM
What would you like? Is it in reach?

Me? I ordered my Volvo as most are aware.

It is my dream car. In reach? Well, I will struggle some, but have no regrets.

UPDATED: July 22, 2012

Well, the car is in! I am getting gun shy...

Only the thought of writing out the check and getting that first ding...

It will be ready on Wednesday and I probably won't see it until then (not far, but in the opposite direction...) being that I will leaving to see family today. The Volvo dealer has it locked away inside...

I am really excited, but I will really miss my dad's Accord that I am gifting to my niece... My dad worshipped her and it will be emotional for her... She was with him when he died and their bond was unbelievable close...

That eases the loss and has made it easier not having a trade or money from selling a car to buy the new one... It will be sweet having the Accord EX sedan in the family for many reasons...

One minor change between the 2012 and '13 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design is the change from Soft-Beige to Off-Black headliner... With my color choice of Off-Black premium sports leather with Soft-Beige leather inserts. Something I was hoping for after talking with a buddy citing a problem with the tan headliner in his Audi causing an annoying reflection against the tinted windows... I never thought of this occuring, I just like the darker, richer color with the primarily deep color leather interior of my Volvo R-Design.

I will keep you posted!

dazzleman

My car is 6 years old, but I have no immediate plans to replace it.  I have 49,000 miles it, it's running well, and there's no payment.  Until it starts requiring some major work, I intend to keep it, probably in reality for 2-3 more years.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on July 28, 2012, 05:05:26 PM
My car is 6 years old, but I have no immediate plans to replace it.  I have 49,000 miles it, it's running well, and there's no payment.  Until it starts requiring some major work, I intend to keep it, probably in reality for 2-3 more years.

Change from the NYC auto show, Dave? Thought you were narrowing down choices.

3.0L V6

Quote from: Rupert on July 28, 2012, 05:14:14 PM
Wow, Dave, that's pretty... middle class of you.

There's a reason why he's where he is. Smart man.

Anyway, I recently purchased a new beater for myself in late May - a 2001 Mazda Protege.
97k kilometers (60k miles), automatic (beggars can't be choosers), $3500.

Have put a new thermostat, accessory drive belts and oil pan into it so far (the old oil pan was oozing oil due to corrosion). It needs a new A/C condenser, as the one currently is finished, and probably some exhaust work, but hopefully that can wait until next year.

Morris Minor

Lots of economic uncertainty in the Minor household at the moment. So I'll be holding onto the Pilot through its tenth birthday. It's paid for and maintained.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on July 28, 2012, 05:05:26 PM

That's smart. I'm increasingly amazed at ppl who replace cars every 2-3 yrs.  My 4runner is 2 1/2 yrs old and still feels brand new. My C6 is 6 1/2 yrs old, and is just as much fun as ever and is still very reliable.

MrH

Well, I just bought the BRZ.  I'll probably pay it off by spring of next year.  The plan is to keep it indefinitely until one of the following happens:

-A somehow get a giant promotion that makes me LOL-money.  Pretty unlikely.
-STI version comes out that's substantially better than my current BRZ.  It's probably at least 2 years off.

I don't see myself wanting to sell it for anything else until that happens.  A second car 3 years from now is pretty likely if either of the things above doesn't happen.  Probably a used Honda Element or Tacoma or something.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Quote from: Lebowski on August 03, 2012, 09:03:10 AM
That's smart. I'm increasingly amazed at ppl who replace cars every 2-3 yrs. 

Aren't most new car purchases leases?  I guess that would kind of force them into a new car every few years (unless you buy it after the lease period, but then if you leased you probably aren't interested in buying).

Personally, my Civic has 10 months left on it.  After its paid off I don't have any immediate plans to get something else.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Xer0 on August 03, 2012, 10:48:34 AM
Aren't most new car purchases leases?

Probably not. We have a friend couple who asked how we could afford 2 cars. Lessee, we used to always buy with cash (tax refund) and then we financed $5k of minivan after putting $3k down. $100/month payments.

Meanwhile they were buying new- everytime the warranty ran out. They still usually owed more than tradein value, so they were like $20k upside down with their last purchase a year or two ago. Finally they bought a $2k beater because he was having issues getting to work.   (I can't imagine only having one car!!)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Anyway, bought the Miata, still have paid-off Subie and Minivan. Absolutely blows my mind that I have a "fun" car and 2 other cars..
Will

Vinsanity

I'm constantly going back and forth as to whether I want to hold out to trade in for a boss/baller status car in five years, or get an enthusiast-approved second car in two.

The enthusiast car would be fun, but the boss car would be boss.

Good thing I have a lot of time to decide.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on July 28, 2012, 05:14:14 PM
Wow, Dave, that's pretty... middle class of you.

:lol:
I've always been middle class by background and way of thinking.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Atomic on August 03, 2012, 06:40:43 AM
Change from the NYC auto show, Dave? Thought you were narrowing down choices.

I go back and forth, but I think I'll stick with what I have for a few more years.

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 03, 2012, 03:17:28 PM
I'm constantly going back and forth as to whether I want to hold out to trade in for a boss/baller status car in five years, or get an enthusiast-approved second car in two.

The enthusiast car would be fun, but the boss car would be boss.

Good thing I have a lot of time to decide.

Take your time man.  And make sure you really are a boss/baller before you get a boss/baller car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on August 03, 2012, 05:46:03 PM
Take your time man.  And make sure you really are a boss/baller before you get a boss/baller car.

Thanks for the advice. Being hood rich is pretty unfulfilling. 10-year-old Bangle-butt 7-serieses and McMansion-looking apartment buildings wear off their coolness pretty quickly :mask:

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 03, 2012, 06:00:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. Being hood rich is pretty unfulfilling. 10-year-old Bangle-butt 7-serieses and McMansion-looking apartment buildings wear off their coolness pretty quickly :mask:

Damn right.  Not only that, but pretending is pretty expensive, and can actually prevent you from becoming a boss/baller.

Besides, you're doing pretty well with cars already, man.  You have good taste in sneakers and cars.... :praise:

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on August 03, 2012, 05:45:21 PM
I go back and forth, but I think I'll stick with what I have for a few more years.

I think many of us always look... Part of the fun... I admire your self control, bro. I get the bug often but am really happy with my new car purchase. For me it was necessary to buy when I did.

I always wanted to gift the 2006 Honda Accord EX (7,000 miles when I took ownership in 2010!) that my dad bought before the cancer hit hard. Her big and safe Pontiac "Bonnie" that her dad restored finally gave out with about 150,000 miles on it. This prompted me to order a brand new car for me and post vehicular, I decided on the Volvo.

Speaking of the New York City show and Volvo, I inspected the Passion Red XC60 T6 R-Design there closely knowing that would be the car for me but not the first color of choice. I decided beforehand that my new vehicle would be this model but it was in NYC that I really got psyched.

The crew would gladly HELP YOU spend your money at the 2013 show  :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Atomic on August 04, 2012, 05:32:54 AM
I think many of us always look... Part of the fun... I admire your self control, bro. I get the bug often but am really happy with my new car purchase. For me it was necessary to buy when I did.

I always wanted to gift the 2006 Honda Accord EX (7,000 miles when I took ownership in 2010!) that my dad bought before the cancer hit hard. Her big and safe Pontiac "Bonnie" that her dad restored finally gave out with about 150,000 miles on it. This prompted me to order a brand new car for me and post vehicular, I decided on the Volvo.

Speaking of the New York City show and Volvo, I inspected the Passion Red XC60 T6 R-Design there closely knowing that would be the car for me but not the first color of choice. I decided beforehand that my new vehicle would be this model but it was in NYC that I really got psyched.

The crew would gladly HELP YOU spend your money at the 2013 show  :lol:

Haha, there's no shortage of people who want to "help" me spend my money.  My cousin keeps badgering me to put in a pool.  Stuff like that.  Funny that most of the people who want to help me spend my money have none of their own.  No point in taking financial advice from people who are bankrupt.... :lol:

I'm really not having trouble controlling myself.  I'm past the point in my life where acquisition of material goods is important.  I have what I need.  I'd rather spend the money on travel at this point.  In a couple more years, I'll seriously consider another car, only because I have no patience with taking the car in for a lot of repairs.

I agree about looking, though.  It's fun to look.

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 07:07:57 AM
Haha, there's no shortage of people who want to "help" me spend my money.  My cousin keeps badgering me to put in a pool.  Stuff like that.  Funny that most of the people who want to help me spend my money have none of their own.  No point in taking financial advice from people who are bankrupt.... :lol:

I'm really not having trouble controlling myself.  I'm past the point in my life where acquisition of material goods is important.  I have what I need.  I'd rather spend the money on travel at this point.  In a couple more years, I'll seriously consider another car, only because I have no patience with taking the car in for a lot of repairs.

I agree about looking, though.  It's fun to look.

Great life philosophy and ambition to travel, Dave. I am getting the bug to see more of the U.S. and Canada and if not for looking after my mother (early dementia) I would leave the United States and Canada to explore The Great Barrier Reef, Australia and other "must see" places throughout the world. I like your priorities, good man.

dazzleman

Quote from: Atomic on August 04, 2012, 07:39:35 AM
Great life philosophy and ambition to travel, Dave. I am getting the bug to see more of the U.S. and Canada and if not for looking after my mother (early dementia) I would leave the United States and Canada to explore The Great Barrier Reef, Australia and other "must see" places throughout the world. I like your priorities, good man.

Forgive me for butting in, but you should hire somebody to look after your mother while you're gone, and go.  Caretakers need breaks, and you can be a better caretaker over the longer term if you take care of your own needs too.

Lebowski

Quote from: Xer0 on August 03, 2012, 10:48:34 AM

Aren't most new car purchases leases?  I guess that would kind of force them into a new car every few years (unless you buy it after the lease period, but then if you leased you probably aren't interested in buying).

Sounds like another good reason to avoid leasing :huh:

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on August 04, 2012, 07:43:49 AM
Sounds like another good reason to avoid leasing :huh:

Exactly.  Leasing is not a smart move in most cases, IMO.