Many of us seem to be getting new cars this year. What are your plans?

Started by Atomic, June 03, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

When will you purchase, lease, acquire your next vehicle?

This summer
Within the next few months
Next year
Already did or about to within days or weeks
Hanging on to what I currently drive for a long while
Not sure
Never
Through an estate, time unknown
When gifted
There is nothing out there that I like so wanting for the right vehicle
Other (Specify)

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 08:05:16 AM

Exactly.  Leasing is not a smart move in most cases, IMO.

I think it's kind of funny when I tell people I think leasing is a bad move, and they'll reply something along the lines of "well, it's the cheapest option if you want a new car every ~2 years".  I kind of just roll my eyes, like yeah that's my point why would you replace your car every 2 years?  There is no cheap way to get into a new car every 2 years.

Granted, this thinking seems to be less common now than 5 or 10 years ago.  I think I only have one friend now who thinks he needs a new car every 2 years.

Atomic

A friend of mine learned the hard way. She leased a gorgeous Mazda6, then lost her job. Her new position (the only thing she could find) was out of town. As a result, she went way over the allotted miles and not only did she own a fortune for this, the dealership supplied her with a long list of additional fees for even the most minuscule dents, dings, stone chips and nearly invisible scratches. She owned thousands and was way in the hole when she decided to purchase the next car.

Yikes!

Vinsanity

Thing is, I love buying off-lease cars. Letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit as I drive off in a car with low miles and good condition is a boon to me. If leases became less popular and more people become wise to the game, then I'll have to rethink my strategy :frown:

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 04, 2012, 11:37:45 AM
Thing is, I love buying off-lease cars. Letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit as I drive off in a car with low miles and good condition is a boon to me. If leases became less popular and more people become wise to the game, then I'll have to rethink my strategy :frown:

That's a very good strategy.  Buy off a short-term (2-3 year) lease, and let somebody else take the depreciation.  The leasing suckers' loss is your gain.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 12:09:30 PM
That's a very good strategy.  Buy off a short-term (2-3 year) lease, and let somebody else take the depreciation.  The leasing suckers' loss is your gain.

:hesaid:

And...

Q: Are lease models apart of what many manufacturers call Certified Used Cars?

CALL_911

Leasing is dumb as hell (unless you can get a straight writeoff), and so is taking out a loan for a car IMO.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 04, 2012, 12:55:13 PM
Leasing is dumb as hell (unless you can get a straight writeoff), and so is taking out a loan for a car IMO.

I'd agree about the car note in about 80% of the cases, but if you can manage to not be upside-down on the loan, then it's a great financial tool. I was practically never upside-down on the Caddy, though a big part of that had to do with the market value inflation that took place because of cash for clunkers.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Atomic on August 04, 2012, 12:35:54 PM
:hesaid:

And...

Q: Are lease models apart of what many manufacturers call Certified Used Cars?

Often times, but not necessarily. In my case, my car was a lease return that also came with a certified warranty, but I don't think it's uncommon for a car to be one and not the other.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 08:05:16 AM
Exactly.  Leasing is not a smart move in most cases, IMO.

Agreed. After my last lease, I'm not in any rush to lease again. Although, right now I drive little enough to get by on a 15,000 mile lease.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 12:09:30 PM

It's also quite risky. I can't tell you how many people I know who lease and don't take care of the car because they don't own it and are planning on giving it back.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: Raza  on August 04, 2012, 03:14:51 PM
It's also quite risky. I can't tell you how many people I know who lease and don't take care of the car because they don't own it and are planning on giving it back.

Same here and the luxury car owners seen to be the worse. Not certain why that is the case.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 07:07:57 AM
Haha, there's no shortage of people who want to "help" me spend my money.  My cousin keeps badgering me to put in a pool.  Stuff like that.  Funny that most of the people who want to help me spend my money have none of their own.  No point in taking financial advice from people who are bankrupt.... :lol:

I'm really not having trouble controlling myself.  I'm past the point in my life where acquisition of material goods is important.  I have what I need.  I'd rather spend the money on travel at this point.  In a couple more years, I'll seriously consider another car, only because I have no patience with taking the car in for a lot of repairs.

I agree about looking, though.  It's fun to look.

You really are the "forum Dad," Dave. I could literally see my dad typing this exact same post if he was on here.  :lol:

He bought a nice car (A6) but has had it for 11 years. He's only juuuuuust beginning to seriously consider a new car. He never got his timing belt changed in the current one and it's up to 130K, original everything except brakes pretty much. I guess good for VW/Audi but.... ya know...  :devil:

Morris Minor

There is a good article in this month's Consumer Reports on the pros & cons of keeping a car for 15 years (200,000 miles).
Key is to pick a reliable model

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși