Many of us seem to be getting new cars this year. What are your plans?

Started by Atomic, June 03, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

When will you purchase, lease, acquire your next vehicle?

This summer
Within the next few months
Next year
Already did or about to within days or weeks
Hanging on to what I currently drive for a long while
Not sure
Never
Through an estate, time unknown
When gifted
There is nothing out there that I like so wanting for the right vehicle
Other (Specify)

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on June 08, 2012, 09:36:02 PM
If you really want it that badly, what's the big deal if some part breaks at some point? So you spend a few hundred on a repair every so often - is it not worth it for years of driving a car you really want to drive? The S4 is not a particularly unreliable car anyway, I don't think.

There's rarely spending a "few hundred" on any repair these days. Most subsystems are so complicated; from tranny, to heads, to short block, to HVAC, to even heated/cooled/power seats; usually the only proper repair is to replace the entire subsystem. With a supercharger, AWD, loads of electronics (and all of it German), no one will ever convince me that on average the S4 will be expensive and a hassle to own after ~50k. They only way I'd own one at this point is if I were to be in and out in 3 yrs/40k, and I'm not quite there yet.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Some of the annoying problems I hear often are often associated with a couple of Ford products. All under warrantee and not crippling, but a big P.I.T.A. -- The new Ford Explorer and SHO (pre-2013) with the MYFORD system and other electronics. FMC claims they simplified the system and corrected the "breakdowns" that dealership service department personnel had trouble repairing. I hope Cadillac experiences success with the new Caddy's (XTS) funcky dashboard controls. Not meaning to put down any of these vehicles, just pointing out that non-European companies have their struggles, too.

ChrisV

There's a possibility of replacing my E38 with a newer E38 Sport, but other than that, no plans as I've only had the Mustang for a year, and the MINI since last September.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on June 09, 2012, 09:54:19 AM
There's a possibility of replacing my E38 with a newer E38 Sport, but other than that, no plans as I've only had the Mustang for a year, and the MINI since last September.

Did you get a new engine for the E38 or is it still out of commission?

hotrodalex

My dad has the option to buy an early 60's Beetle from a coworker's family. The engine needs to be rebuilt, but that's not too hard with those cars. It's just built up too much right now and doesn't run well. A little detuning and it would probably make a nice driver.

Dunno if he'll go for it, though. He was going to buy it, but then heard about the engine and decided against it. However, I think he changed his mind again. I think he did some research and found out he could sell most of the current parts that he doesn't want and it would pay for all the things that need to be fixed. Plus, he just got a birthday check from my grandma and said "that'll pay for a Beetle". :lol:

Colin

Quote from: TurboDan on June 08, 2012, 09:36:02 PM
If you really want it that badly, what's the big deal if some part breaks at some point? So you spend a few hundred on a repair every so often - is it not worth it for years of driving a car you really want to drive? The S4 is not a particularly unreliable car anyway, I don't think.
So, I just handed back my S6. It was 4 years old and had done just a few miles short of 90,000 in that time. In 4 years, it needed a service every 19,000 miles (so that was three of them, and a fourth one imminent) a set of tyres lasted 35,000, so 2 sets of those, and the windscreen cracked and had to be replaced. That was it. Nothing else at all.

The S4 that preceded it, in which I did 76,000 miles in 3 years was not quite so problem free, as it had 3 ignition coils go, and a stone punctured the radiator so that had to be replaced. It also suffered a cracked windscreen. I think tyres lasted around 30,000 miles on that car, too.

I agree that if something complex breaks, the cost of fixing it even on a mainstream car is now very non-trivial, but as long as a car is not abused, you would be fairly unlucky to get stung for repair after repair. If you're really that worried, can you not buy an extended warranty? They're not cheap, but a friend of mine who got a second hand Merc E500 (W211) and suffered a gearbox problem within a couple of weeks of getting the car will tell you that it was the best extra he could have bought to go with the car.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2012, 11:44:18 PM
There's rarely spending a "few hundred" on any repair these days. Most subsystems are so complicated; from tranny, to heads, to short block, to HVAC, to even heated/cooled/power seats; usually the only proper repair is to replace the entire subsystem. With a supercharger, AWD, loads of electronics (and all of it German), no one will ever convince me that on average the S4 will be expensive and a hassle to own after ~50k. They only way I'd own one at this point is if I were to be in and out in 3 yrs/40k, and I'm not quite there yet.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But it's kind of silly to whine about the G37 being boring when you refuse to purchase a car that you think would be more fun to drive anyway. What's the point in even looking through AutoTrader?

When you have preconceived notions that certain cars are more reliable than others, then hamstring yourself by only considering those specific cars, what's the point in complaining about them if you refuse to buy anything else at the end of the day? You want an appliance, but you don't want to live with the compromises that come with driving an appliance. (For the record, I don't think the G37 is in the appliance category, personally, but you get the point.)

Also, it's 2012. No car is patently unreliable. The gap between the most reliable car and least reliable car these days is not that much. Sure, some cost more to fix, but who cares? Even the cheapest shitbox you can buy new will cost a fortune to fix these days.

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on June 09, 2012, 12:18:48 PM
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But it's kind of silly to whine about the G37 being boring when you refuse to purchase a car that you think would be more fun to drive anyway. What's the point in even looking through AutoTrader?

When you have preconceived notions that certain cars are more reliable than others, then hamstring yourself by only considering those specific cars, what's the point in complaining about them if you refuse to buy anything else at the end of the day? You want an appliance, but you don't want to live with the compromises that come with driving an appliance. (For the record, I don't think the G37 is in the appliance category, personally, but you get the point.)

Also, it's 2012. No car is patently unreliable. The gap between the most reliable car and least reliable car these days is not that much. Sure, some cost more to fix, but who cares? Even the cheapest shitbox you can buy new will cost a fortune to fix these days.

I didn't say the G was boring I said I got bored with it.

I care that some cars cost more to fix (and need more fixes than average).

shp4man

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 09, 2012, 10:52:38 AM
My dad has the option to buy an early 60's Beetle from a coworker's family. The engine needs to be rebuilt, but that's not too hard with those cars. It's just built up too much right now and doesn't run well. A little detuning and it would probably make a nice driver.

Dunno if he'll go for it, though. He was going to buy it, but then heard about the engine and decided against it. However, I think he changed his mind again. I think he did some research and found out he could sell most of the current parts that he doesn't want and it would pay for all the things that need to be fixed. Plus, he just got a birthday check from my grandma and said "that'll pay for a Beetle". :lol:

I've owned and worked on a bunch of air-cooled cars over the years. The engine is pretty easy to get out- 4 bolts, the hoses and wires and boom, it's on the ground. A decent, and I stress decent, 1600 dual port long block would run about $1200 bucks. Beetles are worth pretty good bucks, too. I sold my '66 for 5 grand in 2 weeks and it was a driver, not some mint garage queen. Rust is your enemy in the floorboards, parts are still easy to get, too.
I say go for it!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: TurboDan on June 09, 2012, 12:18:48 PM
Even the cheapest shitbox you can buy new will cost a fortune to fix these days.
Like someones Yaris that needs a $1000 fan replacement......     ;)
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Marked not sure, definitely not anything imminent.

4runner I plan to keep for a long time.  It's perfect for what I bought it for.

C6 I still love driving and have no objective reason to change, but it'll be 7 years old around year end so at the same time I could justify replacing at that time if an opportunity presented itself.  Hard to see myself parting with it for anything less than a 911.  Based on how my year is going though it probably won't be this year.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lebowski on June 10, 2012, 12:12:13 PM
Marked not sure, definitely not anything imminent.

4runner I plan to keep for a long time.  It's perfect for what I bought it for.

C6 I still love driving and have no objective reason to change, but it'll be 7 years old around year end so at the same time I could justify replacing at that time if an opportunity presented itself.  Hard to see myself parting with it for anything less than a 911.  Based on how my year is going though it probably won't be this year.
You wouldn't consider the C7?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on June 11, 2012, 06:04:37 PM

You wouldn't consider the C7?

If it's out if/when I decide to change, I'd consider it.  I don't think I'd wait for it if I was ready to do something before that.

ChrisV

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 09, 2012, 10:45:08 AM
Did you get a new engine for the E38 or is it still out of commission?

I got a replacemt engine that was supposedly low mileage. After getting it home (I bought it online from Slat Lake City) it appears to have been driven short trips with no oil changes and is sludged to beat hell, and will have to be rebuilt itself, which has kind of depressed me about the project.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 03, 2012, 08:55:40 PM
The Caddy's definitely sticking around until at least the last payment is made ~Jan.2014, and ideally until my student loans are paid off in 2017. By then, it will be 13 years old, and 10 years under my possession. Which should be just in time for me to buy a midlife crisis car :lol:

Dude, no offense, but that's really depressing.

The plan is to work for 2 years, go to grad school for 2 years, and then make shit tons of cash and buy a new car. I figure I'll hardly be driving at all when I'm working (just put in an application for an apartment less than a mile from where I'll be working) and will probably drive even less in grad school so the Subie can hopefully make it another 4 years (at 176000 miles right now). Absolutely no clue what I'll buy though. Really like the practicality of the wagon so one option might be doing the dual car route (though that could be difficult wrt urban apartment parking), buying a wagon/hatch (GTI and WRX come to mind), or just screwing practicality altogether.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2012, 09:57:51 PM
Dude, no offense, but that's really depressing.

None taken. I just feel compelled to do more grown-up things now like move out of my apartment and buy a house, and also avoid throwing away ~$3,000 in taxes every time I buy a car.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 13, 2012, 11:21:52 PM
None taken. I just feel compelled to do more grown-up things now like move out of my apartment and buy a house, and also avoid throwing away ~$3,000 in taxes every time I buy a car.
:praise:

I am fully invested in this bike. Just bought the full Corbin seat. Got a lot of ideas but they are so much $$$. RSV1000 upper fairing, bixenon projector, some kind of hybrid lower fairing/belly pan, riser clip ons, USD forks + rear shock upgrade, Versys tank... I could get it all done over the winter but all those parts would be like $2000

Maybe if the $$$ is right.

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 13, 2012, 11:21:52 PM

Yeah, so I was referring to paying off student loans and having a midlife crisis be near simultaneous events.

I'm all for fiscal responsibility when it comes to cars. Recall that I bought a 1995 Honda with 307k miles in 2006 and drove it for 5 years and 70k miles.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TBR on June 14, 2012, 10:43:04 AM
Yeah, so I was referring to paying off student loans and having a midlife crisis be near simultaneous events.

I'm all for fiscal responsibility when it comes to cars. Recall that I bought a 1995 Honda with 307k miles in 2006 and drove it for 5 years and 70k miles.

Ah, that. I'll "only" be 36 when the aforementioned student loans are paid off, so I guess I won't quite be in MLC mode yet, but it's never too soon to buy a whimsical sports car :mrcool:

AutobahnSHO

Boss finally said Miata goes to me. He drives it another while, so it'll be June 25-26, can't wait.

Then Subie goes into the shop.
Will

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 14, 2012, 07:18:10 PM
Ah, that. I'll "only" be 36 when the aforementioned student loans are paid off, so I guess I won't quite be in MLC mode yet, but it's never too soon to buy a whimsical sports car :mrcool:

Fuck, student loans are the worst thing ever.  I'm so lucky that I don't have any loans to pay off.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27547.msg1734916#msg1734916 date=1339787350
Fuck, student loans are the worst thing ever.  I'm so lucky that I don't have any loans to pay off.
Me too. Wifey got hit bad. There was a loan she never paid on cause of her parents bankruptcy or some shit. She didn't even know she had it + got no notification. She gets a call out of the blue saying "you owe us $27K, what are you gonna do?" Since she had cash they wound up just taking $14K. Not a bad deal but damn I wish we still had that $$$

People can blame kids all they want but theres no reason a kid should be coming out of college with a year's salary worth of student debt and no jobs to pay them off

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 15, 2012, 01:20:50 PM
People can blame kids all they want but theres no reason a kid should be coming out of college with a year's salary worth of student debt and no jobs to pay them off

The kids made the decision to sign for the loans? :huh:   Army paid mine off, was under $10k. I worked, did scholarships, grants, etc...    We're still chiseling away at wifey's. She let them stay delinquent for a while..    :heated:
Will

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 15, 2012, 01:20:50 PM
Me too. Wifey got hit bad. There was a loan she never paid on cause of her parents bankruptcy or some shit. She didn't even know she had it + got no notification. She gets a call out of the blue saying "you owe us $27K, what are you gonna do?" Since she had cash they wound up just taking $14K. Not a bad deal but damn I wish we still had that $$$

:rolleyes: It's the damn kid's fault for taking out a shit ton of loans to get a degree that isn't employable.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I heard from coworkers that the federal stafford college loans went up to above 6.5% this year... Good god that must suck - I think mine were like 2%
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on June 15, 2012, 06:19:27 PM
It's their fault even if it's a worthwhile degree.

It's not like college is cheap.  Not everyone has parents who can afford to pay for their college.  I do, but that's besides the point.

AutobahnSHO

If you can't afford a $100k tractor, don't buy one. Doesn't matter if it's the best tool in the world, not everyone needs one or should have one. Even if Financing is Available.
Will

CJ

You can't really get anywhere without a college education, though. That's the difference. By the end of this year, I'll have around $20,000 in student loans. My parents will have paid nearly $60,000.