Honda Accord spied...

Started by 2o6, June 07, 2012, 11:41:59 PM

2o6

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/07/2013-honda-accord-plug-in-hybrid-snapped-almost-completely-expos/

I predict a Civic-level disaster. The car looks like the old one, but with worse styling. All of its competitors have gone a full model change. Yet Honda really only does a glorified facelift?

Laconian

You do realize that the car won't be sold with that cladding, right? :devil:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

You can't tell from a car's styling what level of mechanical change has gone into it. Honda often keeps a similar-looking roofline even when they do a complete redesign. The Civic had the same shape from 1991 to 2005. And Honda's already announced major powertrain changes.

Also, that "disaster" is the best-selling car in its class.

sportyaccordy

Yea most companies would kill for that kind of disaster

Northlands

I can't really tell what this thing looks like. So, er... no opinion.  ;)

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

GoCougs

Ha, ha, nice "all-new" Accord there Honda...

CJ

From what Jacob said (He was there when these photos were taken), it's substantially smaller than the current Accord. 

2o6

We will have to see when it's released; proportionally it looks exactly the same as the current car.

AltinD

Less front overhang, I think shorter boot too. These were the changes on the already released Thai market model.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

To be fair, GM vehicles sold in strong numbers before their reputation was gradually destroyed by lower quality and uninspiring product.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on June 08, 2012, 01:38:47 PM
To be fair, GM vehicles sold in strong numbers before their reputation was gradually destroyed by lower quality and uninspiring product.
Yea but the current Accord/Civic are hardly representative of the drops in quality/inspiration GM had. As "bad" as the new Civic is, I would prob still recommend one over an Elantra

CALL_911

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 08, 2012, 01:51:35 PM
Yea but the current Accord/Civic are hardly representative of the drops in quality/inspiration GM had. As "bad" as the new Civic is, I would prob still recommend one over an Elantra

Yeah, I wouldn't

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Elantra is just as dull as a Civic, but w/o the good resale or solid reliability track. Not that its unreliable, but the Civic is more reliable for not much more $$$

Atomic

Best pics of the upcoming Accord to date. I like the sloping frontend and what look like a promising shape at the rear. Honda confirmed a sporty SE trim line, unlike the current SE Special Edition Accords and those typically added near the last quarter of some model years to boost summer sales. I bring this up seeing what looks to be a rear spoiler. It could be an add on to confuse prying eyes. If indeed a spoiling on its upcoming plug-in hybrid as the author claims, it is most likely a measure to increase aerodynamics. We shall see this fall.

Good find!

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 08, 2012, 02:52:33 PM
Elantra is just as dull as a Civic, but w/o the good resale or solid reliability track. Not that its unreliable, but the Civic is more reliable for not much more $$$

There is insufficient reliability data on the latest Elantra (nor the supposedly "all new" Civic) to definitively claim that one is more reliable than the other.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 08, 2012, 02:52:33 PM

Meh, the last two Civic generations had spotty quality at launch -- both 2001 and 2006. Reputation is fine when you're talking about a used car with a proven record, but don't confuse the quality of a particular car with the quality of past cars with the same name.

TurboDan

I don't think it looks bad. And it'll sell like crazy. Most Accord drivers just replace their old Accord with a new one. Same goes with Camry. These core buyers aren't particularly adventurous in their vehicle choices. But like I said, I don't know what the complaints are all about. The Accord isn't a car Honda will take chances with, nor should they. And these photos don't look bad at all to me, to be honest.

Are they re-doing the coupe too? I've always really liked the coupe version the last few generations.

Atomic

Yes. The coupe will benefit for all of the Accord sedan's changes, aside perhaps from the addition of the hybrid variant (trunk to be more curvaceous on the two door), thus more difficult to add hybrid technology and keep the relatively roomy truck of Accord coupe, both past and present.

There is expected to be a Venza type spin off model, too, and/or a wagon (a worthier Crosstour) to take on the Subaru Outback. Honda is very secretive, but some Accord info, including some changes to trim levels and smaller exterior specs have been released. Other than that, I have not seen where the rumors of the Accord platform being the basis for those other models (wagon, crossover) have been confirmed by Honda brass. However, it does make perfect sense.

ifcar

The Crosstour isn't changing any time soon. The upcoming 2013 model just has a tweaked grille and bumper.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on June 08, 2012, 04:56:06 PM
There is insufficient reliability data on the latest Elantra (nor the supposedly "all new" Civic) to definitively claim that one is more reliable than the other.
Elantra's got a lot of new tech + major parts

I dont think anything is new on the Civic

Youre right that theres not enough data. But being that the old Civic wasnt problematic, and the new one is pretty much the old one, you can make a decent guess IMO

Atomic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 09, 2012, 02:19:27 PM
Elantra's got a lot of new tech + major parts

I dont think anything is new on the Civic

Youre right that theres not enough data. But being that the old Civic wasnt problematic, and the new one is pretty much the old one, you can make a decent guess IMO

Yes. I agree, too. There is a trade off, I think. A lot of new technology and bells and whistles vs. what is tried and true. The sales figures are impressive for both companies doing their own thing.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2012, 07:12:07 AM
You can't tell from a car's styling what level of mechanical change has gone into it. Honda often keeps a similar-looking roofline even when they do a complete redesign. The Civic had the same shape from 1991 to 2005. And Honda's already announced major powertrain changes.

Also, that "disaster" is the best-selling car in its class.

So true, Iffy! What other companies wouldn't do to achieve such a disaster -- especially with all but <2% of all sales being non-fleet retail purchases. A few more spy pics...

These, I think are non-hybrid Accord models... Shown as apart of the following collection... of C&D pics. Yes. These are heavily camouflaged Accords with a lot left to the imagination, but still telling, I think...

2013 Honda Accord's caught during testing...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-honda-accord-sedan-and-coupe-spy-photos-news

2013 Honda Accord information (some may have seen before), with another look at the '13 Accord Coupe concept...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2013-honda-accord-future-cars

Raza

Quote from: CJ on June 08, 2012, 12:30:54 PM
From what Jacob said (He was there when these photos were taken), it's substantially smaller than the current Accord. 

How could it not be?  The current Accord is ridiculously large.  If it got any bigger, it would be a plane. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27574.msg1749560#msg1749560 date=1342407943
How could it not be?  The current Accord is ridiculously large.  If it got any bigger, it would be a plane.  
One of my cousins has an Avalon. A few of my buddies had the 04-08 Maxima. Hell even the 02-06 Altima was comically large inside. But still not wide enough to legitimately seat 3 adults in the rear.

Avalon could though, easily. One thing I don't get is why FWD cars still have center humps in the floor. Esp w/close coupled cats. Put the cats at the header, 1st muffler under the dash, all the other shit under the trunk. Anyway...

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 16, 2012, 09:14:25 AM
One of my cousins has an Avalon. A few of my buddies had the 04-08 Maxima. Hell even the 02-06 Altima was comically large inside. But still not wide enough to legitimately seat 3 adults in the rear.

Avalon could though, easily. One thing I don't get is why FWD cars still have center humps in the floor. Esp w/close coupled cats. Put the cats at the header, 1st muffler under the dash, all the other shit under the trunk. Anyway...

Structural rigidity.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on July 16, 2012, 09:22:18 PM
wat

IIRC, that has always been the reason. Curving the metal in the middle makes it stiffer than a flexible piece of steel.

hotrodalex

It provides a little bit of rigidity, but can also provide a place to run the exhaust or other lines (electrical wiring, fuel lines, etc.)

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Atomic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 16, 2012, 09:14:25 AM

My mother's 2010 Honda Civic EX sedan (with under 2,000 miles, BTW!) has a totally flat floor in the back. Three in the rear is not comfortable in even the largest of cars, but for a compact, the Civic is certainly not bad at carrying five people in a pinch. We had three in the back to travel to and from a wedding about an hour away. It was far more comfortable the the rear (no pun intended... Lol) than I had thought. Still, I would never subject any three adults to the backseat unless for a very short distance.