Replacing the Accord - suggestions?

Started by Laconian, June 10, 2012, 02:37:35 PM

Laconian

This isn't super well thought-out, so please, feel free to question my premises and come up with alternative solutions.

We have a 2006 Accord 5MT with 50k miles and the TSX Wagon 5AT, which still smells kind of new.

Situation: Boyfriend's commute is pretty long, about 15 miles, and the traffic along his commute is sometimes really really bad. In spite of his Frenchness, he has discovered the joy of autotragics for stop-and-go commuting. Thanks to my back, I also like autotragics as well. My commute is pretty short, only 5mi.

Problem: we both prefer automatics for our commutes, but have only one automatic car. My back's needs trump convenience, so I end up drive the TSX to work, but I definitely perceive that my BF would much rather be driving the TSX instead. I would rather not have stupid cars be a source of strain in our relationship so I think we need to do something about the Accord.

We tried carpooling for a month, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it really doesn't - on days where he has to work long days and the traffic sucks, I end up staying at work from 8AM to 7PM, which really isn't good for my work/life balance.

So... suggestions? Whatever car I end up driving is going to need nice seats with good lumbar support and side bolsters. Adjustible seat height is a big plus. And hopefully my back will get better SOMEtime (knocks on wood) so maybe have a car that isn't a total snooze to drive either. Cargo utility is not important, that's already served by the TSX.  Budget is pretty wide open. If the car is going to be a fun one, like a convertible ______, then I'd be willing to spend more. Maybe ~$30k as an upper limit. If I were to get a cheap comfortable economy car runabout, obviously I would prefer to spend less. Used is OK by me.

Fun car choices ($30k limit)
Mustang V6 convertible

Economical car choices ($15k limit)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

New/used Mercedes W204 C-Class? You mentioned the budget ain't that important. A C300 sounds perfect for your needs. A comfortable and safe car.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 10, 2012, 02:44:27 PM
New/used Mercedes W204 C-Class? You mentioned the budget ain't that important. A C300 sounds perfect for your needs. A comfortable and safe car.

C250 gets better MPG.

Colin

About the very best seats in the business come from CJ's favourite brand, Volvo.

So, how about an S60 T6? that's a nice car. A very nice car. or if you want a convertible, the C70 is not bad, either.
Or go down the Audi route, and look at an S4 or S5 cabrio? they all come with the DSG now.

CJ

For comfortable seats, go with an S60 T5. 

Galaxy

A German medical organisation stated that the optional seat in the Opel Insignia is the best one can buy in terms of back support. Not sure if that translates to the Buick Regal.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on June 10, 2012, 02:47:14 PM
C250 gets better MPG.

Do you get the C250 in the US? I thought the C300 was the smallest engine you could get in America.

I know the C250 CDI might make it over, but the C250? Interesting...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 10, 2012, 03:02:17 PM
Do you get the C250 in the US? I thought the C300 was the smallest engine you could get in America.

C250 is available here, yes.

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 10, 2012, 03:02:17 PM

Yes, we get the C250.  I suspect as a bid to lure A4 2.0T, Infiniti G25 and IS250 buyers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Just throwing this out there: how comfortable are Fiat 500s?

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2012, 03:24:54 PM

How much do you want to fit the stereotype...  :devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Mustang V6 convertible.  31 mpg, great seats, great looks, fast as hell, and convertible.

SVT666

Northlands

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

sportyaccordy

[INTERNET]Mustang GT, CTS-V, used M5, 996 Carrera[/INTERNET]

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on June 10, 2012, 03:32:30 PM
Fiat 500 Abarth

Abarth doesn't come with an automatic, does it? And the regular auto 500 is reportedly painfully slow.

68_427

S60 T5

Wait.  Buick Verano Turbo.  Should be out late summer or so.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: SVT666 on June 10, 2012, 03:31:34 PM
Mustang V6 convertible.  31 mpg, great seats, great looks, fast as hell, and convertible.
Rich (HRP) said the driving position on his GT is pretty awful. But I guess I can add that to my list of cars to try.

Laconian

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 10, 2012, 03:30:49 PM
How much do you want to fit the stereotype...  :devil:
I don't give a shit about stereotypes.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2012, 03:24:54 PM

Very, but the automatic is geared retardedly.

Kia Rio.

Laconian

Oh, re: Buick Verano, TSX sedan - thanks for the suggestions, but they are a little too much like the TSX. It's a fine car, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice to have a better diversity of cars in our stable.

If the next car takes premium gas, then it had better well provide commensurate excitement as well. I'm kind of miffed about the TSX wagon drinking premium but "only" providing 200hp. I would rather have a V6 that takes regular.

2o6

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2012, 04:06:36 PM
Oh, re: Buick Verano, TSX sedan - thanks for the suggestions, but they are a little too much like the TSX. It's a fine car, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice to have a better diversity of cars in our stable.

If the next car takes premium gas, then it had better well provide commensurate excitement as well. I'm kind of miffed about the TSX wagon drinking premium but "only" providing 200hp. I would rather have a V6 that takes regular.

Volvo S80 V8.
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

certified used 128i (god like seats), Dodge Challenger
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2012, 04:00:36 PM
Rich (HRP) said the driving position on his GT is pretty awful. But I guess I can add that to my list of cars to try.
Really?  I thought the driving position was great.  A million times better than the 2004 I drove and 10 million times better than my 1996 GT.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Rich

Quote from: SVT666 on June 10, 2012, 04:28:05 PM
Really?  I thought the driving position was great.  A million times better than the 2004 I drove and 10 million times better than my 1996 GT.

The position is great, but the seats suck after a couple of hours behind the wheel.

I can drive all day in the Miata and the only thing that aches is my right foot if I don't use cruise.

I get a couple hours into the drive in the Mustang and mid-lower back hurts every time.  I've tried 3-4 totally different positions and changed the lumbar adjust, but no dice.  I think it's just the curvature on the seat back and that the lumbar is too high.  I get in the Miata and just feel like, damn, I'm in heaven.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

93JC

:huh:

Most comfortable seats I've ever experienced, for what it's worth.