Mercedes A45 AMG: details revealed

Started by cawimmer430, June 13, 2012, 02:58:53 AM

cawimmer430

Mercedes A45 AMG: details revealed

Mercedes A45 AMG gets 330bhp and all-wheel drive offering 0-62mph in 4.9sec. Mercedes claim it will have the fastest cornering speeds in its class

Mercedes-Benz has confirmed limited details to its most affordable performance model to date ? the Mercedes A45 AMG.

Set to go on sale in early 2013, the Audi RS3 and BMW M135i rivaling hatchback sits at the top of the new third-generation A-class line-up at an unconfirmed price that is expected to start at around ?32,000 in the UK.

The first series production AMG model with a transversely mounted engine runs a heavily tuned version of Mercedes-Benz?s turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol unit, as used in the standard A250 Sport set for UK sale by the end of the year.

With a specially developed free flow cylinder head and unique induction system among a myriad of other power boosting modifications, the M270 Evo designated unit is claimed to deliver 330bhp and what AMG describes as "maximum torque significantly above 295lb ft".

Developed in partnership with the German car maker?s High Performance Engine offshoot based in Brixworth, England, the new engine is the most powerful four-cylinder ever placed in a Mercedes production model.

"Our goal right from the start was to match the output of the larger turbocharged 2.5-litre five-cylinder engine used by the RS3," says Tobias Moers, head of development at AMG.

By way of comparison, the RS3?s EA255 engine delivers 335bhp and 332lb ft torque, while the M135i, which is powered by an uprated version of BMW?s N55 turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder unit, pushes out 316bhp and the same 332lb ft.

As first revealed by Autocar, the A45 AMG channels its drive through a seven-speed dual clutch gearbox and, in a layout that mirrors that of the RS3, a specially tuned Haldex-style multi-plate clutch to all four wheels.

To provide the new car with typical rear-wheel drive AMG handling traits, the engine?s torque is delivered primarily to the rear wheels under load.

No performance claims have been made prior to the A45 AMG?s official unveiling at AMG?s Affalterbach headquarters in Germany this week, but Mercedes-Benz insiders suggest it will match the claimed 0-62mph time of the M135i, which BMW puts at 5.1sec for the six-speed manual equipped version.

The inclusion of fuel saving features such as automatic stop/start and brake energy recuperation also has Mercedes-Benz claiming the A45 AMG will be the most economical car in the hot hatch ranks.

In a bid to provide the price leading AMG model with class leading dynamics ? including what one AMG insider described to Autocar as "the highest corner speeds among its rivals", AMG?s engineering team has provided it with a largely unique chassis set-up ? the likes of which has undergone extensive testing both on the road and at the N?rburgring.

The basic components of the MacPherson strut (front) and multi-link (rear) suspension are carried over from the A250 Sport but the elastokinematic properties, including the bushes used to attach it to the body structure, have been greatly altered. Other changes include wider tracks, firmer springs and dampers, larger diameter anti roll bars and reduced ride height.

The standard electro-mechanical steering system has also been reworked for added on-centre sensitivity and a meatier feel, while the brakes have been upgrade with larger crossdrilled and vented discs as well as more powerful calipers.

As with other recent AMG models, the A45 AMG also receives a three stage electronic stability program (ESP) that includes a "sport handling" mode which allows you to turn the electronic safety net off completely.

The A45 AMG is differentiated from standard third-generation A-class models by an extensive body kit. Included is a deeper front bumper, altered grille, widened front fenders, carbonfibre look exterior mirror housings, wider sills underneath the doors, a prominent spoiler atop the rear hatch and new rear bumper with an integrated diffuser element as well as characteristic chromed tail pipes.

Inside, the new car receives an upgraded interior with unique front sport seats along with more upmarket trims.

Link:  http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-a45-amg-details-revealed
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

This is so wasteful and excessive. Anyone who wants this car is a psychopath.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 03:07:18 AM

Exactly. An A100 CDI is much more economical and can easily do 190 km/h top speed! :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Why is it called the A45?  I don't see anything it having a 4.5L engine.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 03:07:18 AM

memememememeemememe
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2012, 08:05:01 AM
Why is it called the A45?  I don't see anything it having a 4.5L engine.

The 63s dont have 6.3, or even 6.2, the 65s have never had a 6.5L...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

350hp is a lot out of that midget of an engine.  I hope this car isn't a turbo lagging mess.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on June 13, 2012, 11:18:43 AM
The 63s dont have 6.3, or even 6.2, the 65s have never had a 6.5L...

But 2.0 and 4.5 is a huge difference.  

Also, they should put this engine in a RWD C class with a 6 speed stick. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Xer0 on June 13, 2012, 11:20:40 AM
350hp is a lot out of that midget of an engine.  I hope this car isn't a turbo lagging mess.
Def possibility

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2012, 12:07:05 PM
Also, they should put this engine in a RWD C class with a 6 speed stick. 
Why? Benz sucks at 4 bangers. C63 is a better performance car in every way.

AltinD

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 12:38:03 PM
Def possibility.

We're not in the '90s anymore, and the car certanly isn't a Civic or something of that type.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 12:38:03 PM
Def possibility
Why? Benz sucks at 4 bangers. C63 is a better performance car in every way.

I meant as an entry level car, not a top end AMG model.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27597.msg1733946#msg1733946 date=1339614375

I meant as an entry level car, not a top end AMG model.
Even still. N/A V6 is a better choice for the C-Class than this. They haven't had a good 4 banger... N/A, supercharged, turbocharged... since the 190 2.3-16.
Quote from: AltinD on June 13, 2012, 12:59:12 PM
We're not in the '90s anymore, and the car certanly isn't a Civic or something of that type.
All turbo engines lag, whether people want to admit it or not.

This little fucker is definitely gonna lag, especially with that low ass compression ratio (prob even lower to deal w/the inevitably higher boost)

No fucking thanks.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 01:39:26 PM
Even still. N/A V6 is a better choice for the C-Class than this. They haven't had a good 4 banger... N/A, supercharged, turbocharged... since the 190 2.3-16.

The old supercharged 1.8 in the C230 was a better engine than the 6 that it replaced. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27597.msg1733969#msg1733969 date=1339617705
The old supercharged 1.8 in the C230 was a better engine than the 6 that it replaced.  
It replaced a 2.2L 4

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 02:06:05 PM
It replaced a 2.2L 4

Oh.  Well, in any case, it was still a better engine than the the 2.6L 6 in the C240.  EDIT:  It was actually a 2.3 I4, but point taken.

I actually wanted one of those C230K sport sedans, with a stick.  The hatches weren't too bad either.  Cheap as shit interiors though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2012, 02:11:43 PM
Oh.  Well, in any case, it was still a better engine than the the 2.6L 6 in the C240.

I actually wanted one of those C230K sport sedans, with a stick.  The hatches weren't too bad either.  Cheap as shit interiors though.

The updated W203 interiors weren't that bad. 

Xer0

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 02:06:05 PM
It replaced a 2.2L 4

I'm pretty sure there was never a 2.2L 4.  Base engine was a pretty terrible 2.6L 6 that the 1.8L SC replaced.  I looked at Wiki and couldn't see it either.  Was it for another market?

Raza

Quote from: CJ on June 13, 2012, 02:15:14 PM

The updated W203 interiors weren't that bad.  

No, that's true.  I only drove the older ones though.

Although, it's funny.  In 10th grade, I used to drive myself to school everyday and my dad would drive the car back (permit, before I had my license).  I drove in my E class.  Then, one day, I had a C230K hatch as a loaner and drove it, and I had like 10 people ask me if that were my car and say how cool it was.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

LEts get things straight.

W202 had a 2.2L 4 and a 2.8L 6, which were later joined by the AMG 3.6 and a supercharged 2.3 4.

W203 had a mishmash of motors including both a 1.8 & 2.3 4 banger both under the C230K model

But fuck all that. Point is MB's engine desirability tapers off with each cylinder you lop off. They are the last company that should consider jumping on that "replace a 6 with a turbo 4" wave.

CJ

The s/c 1.8 is pretty decent, actually.  Sounds good, pretty refined, and it really has some power.  Not bad.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2012, 01:39:26 PM
They haven't had a good 4 banger... N/A, supercharged, turbocharged... since the 190 2.3-16.

Better in what way? The 190E 2.3-16V and 2.5-16V were agile and powerful but coarse and rough in terms of refinement.

The latest Mercedes 4-cylinder engines are incredibly refined and smooth. I've driven some of them and they feel like 6-cylinders in terms of smoothness. Naturally they're going to be a bit loud at high Autobahn speeds but in the cruising range of 130-140 km/h they're pretty quiet. This applies to both the facelifted W203 and W204 C-Classes and the W169/W245 A/B-Classes. And both of them are not related. The C-Class 4-cylinders are shared across the MB range are of a longitude-RWD design whereas the A/B-Class 4-cylinders are transverse-FWD designs.

The Mercedes 4-cylinders sold in the US in the late '90s and early '2000s were pretty crappy. I experienced them here as well. Drove a W202 C180 and a W203 C180 Kompressor. Sluggish, poor refinement and depending on the model loud. This all changed quickly with a new generation of 4-cylinder engines that featured counter-rotating-balanace-shafts and placed significant emphasis on refinement.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG 2.0 turbo good for crazy 185 HP per liter

We have just joined the journalist hordes in Affalterbach for some early peeks at AMG's imminent future, and the downsizing trend is really catching on, even here with Mercedes-Benz and its traditionally big-engined high-performance arm.

The biggest news was the smallest news: a really hot-looking high-performance A-Class model dubbed A45 AMG that will take it to the soon-to-be tested BMW M135i and future Audi RS3. Specific numbers are not out, but engine bosses tell us to expect around 370 hp and 300 pound-feet of torque. The engine is all-new: a twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0-liter called M133 and based loosely on the Daimler 2.0-liter turbocharged unit. If those figures are accurate, that would mean the M133 has the greatest true series-production power-per-liter rating in the world. This is the first AMG engine not built at Affalterbach, but at Daimler's state-of-the-art four-cylinder assembly plant at K?lleda, but the "one man, one engine" approach remains unscathed.

Word has it that the United States and Canada most likely will not get this wee AMG, but we hear this same powertrain with strengthened seven-speed dual-clutch transmission will come to us in a four-door CLA 45 AMG version, and possibly also in a smaller crossover vehicle based on the modular chassis beneath the A- and B- Class ranges.

Official pics from this early peak-a-boo at HQ come out only after we leave, but we just got hold of these spy photos that show the car with very little left to the imagination. Best example of what we're talking about is the main show car unveiled at this past March's Geneva motor show ? the A 250 Sport with the full AMG treatment pictured here.

Of what little we could divulge from the stone-faced Teutons, these little 45 AMGs will all come with all-wheel drive, and we don't intend a full-on 4Matic treatment. It is aidsed instead by a hang-on rear differential. But you can switch off completely the ESP and have a solid Sport rear bias. The challenge for all this dynamically will be the projected 60-percent of total weight resting over the front axle, 60 percent of around 3,300 pounds.

Redline on the tach is currently shown at 6,300 rpm, so we'll almost certainly be wishing it were left to go higher when we test it. The center transmission lever of all AMG models is there as well, which is a much finer interface for us than the civilian trim steering column lever-ette.

AMG folks say that there is a good chance that there will also be an optional Driver Package that will let the top speed go to 174 miles per hour versus the stock 155 mph. Pricing is said to be competitive with a BMW M135i or where an RS3 could end up. AMG is planning that from creating the three versions of the new compact lineup ? hatch, sedan, and crossover ? by 2017 and the 50th anniversary of AMG that total annual volumes will climb from today's 20,000+ units to 30,000+.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/13/mercedes-benz-a45-amg-2-0-turbo-good-for-crazy-185-hp-per-liter/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CJ

That's ridiculous, but completely awesome.  MB has a competitor to the S3.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 14, 2012, 05:22:13 AM
Better in what way? The 190E 2.3-16V and 2.5-16V were agile and powerful but coarse and rough in terms of refinement.

The latest Mercedes 4-cylinder engines are incredibly refined and smooth. I've driven some of them and they feel like 6-cylinders in terms of smoothness. Naturally they're going to be a bit loud at high Autobahn speeds but in the cruising range of 130-140 km/h they're pretty quiet. This applies to both the facelifted W203 and W204 C-Classes and the W169/W245 A/B-Classes. And both of them are not related. The C-Class 4-cylinders are shared across the MB range are of a longitude-RWD design whereas the A/B-Class 4-cylinders are transverse-FWD designs.

The Mercedes 4-cylinders sold in the US in the late '90s and early '2000s were pretty crappy. I experienced them here as well. Drove a W202 C180 and a W203 C180 Kompressor. Sluggish, poor refinement and depending on the model loud. This all changed quickly with a new generation of 4-cylinder engines that featured counter-rotating-balanace-shafts and placed significant emphasis on refinement.
Like you said, the ones that came to the US were bad. That's my sample of gasoline MB 4 bangers.

MB V6s are good. They definitely shouldn't be replacing them with 4s.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 14, 2012, 08:44:04 AM
Like you said, the ones that came to the US were bad. That's my sample of gasoline MB 4 bangers.

The 1.6 is a pretty good engine

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Green-Cars/Search-Results/Drives/C-180-Kompressor-BlueEFFICIENCY-2008-CAR-review/

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

60% weight over the front axle, and a trick differential out back to try and negate that? No thanks.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 14, 2012, 08:44:04 AM

The supercharged 1.8 from the early 2000s wasn't bad.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on June 14, 2012, 06:26:41 PM
60% weight over the front axle, and a trick differential out back to try and negate that? No thanks.
"Works" for the EVO/WRX