MrH's BRZ Thread

Started by MrH, June 24, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

The issue is that touchless car washes don't take off salt very well.

Automatic car washes are the standard for a reason.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 09:01:55 PM
You're an asshole

Truth hurts :huh:  Not sure what you're butthurt about, but ok.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

You implied that I'm a baby. I think that's supposed to be insulting. I don't think it's unreasonable to feel insulted there.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 09:06:12 PM
You implied that I'm a baby. I think that's supposed to be insulting. I don't think it's unreasonable to feel insulted there.

Well, you want your stuff in perfect condition, but don't want to put in the time to keep it that.  What do you expect us to do?  Offer to come up there and wash your car for you? :huh:

I'm calling you a baby in hopes you get the point that you're just finding more ridiculous reasons to justify your indecisiveness.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I don't know. My family is pretty poor compared to most of you guys. My dad only bought one new car in his entire life and that was a '86 Ranger stripper model. A new car just seems like so much money to me.

I guess I'm afraid of the car losing value so fast.

hotrodalex

Buy a slightly used car, then. That way it's taken the initial hit, isn't completely perfect to make you OCD about it, yet is still in really good condition.

CALL_911

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 09:16:18 PM
I don't know. My family is pretty poor compared to most of you guys. My dad only bought one new car in his entire life and that was a '86 Ranger stripper model. A new car just seems like so much money to me.

I guess I'm afraid of the car losing value so fast.

Look, if you can afford it, I don't know why it would matter whether your family is richer or poorer than ours. You're paying for it, not your family.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2013, 09:18:58 PM
Buy a slightly used car, then. That way it's taken the initial hit, isn't completely perfect to make you OCD about it, yet is still in really good condition.

That too. Buy a 1 year old FR-S or something.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Jesus.

Just prior to winter I take my car in for a full exterior detail - get a good bit of wax on there to blunt the adhesion and effect of the elements. Though we don't have salt here they do use some sort of de-icing agent in the mountain passes and a LOT of gravel - I ski a fair amount so end up driving a lot in that stuff.

I feel I'm lucky as there's the perfect car wash by me. I'll hit the exterior (including underneath) with the manual high pressure soap wand and then run through the touchless car wash (which itself has an underbody and rocker panel wash). Works like a charm. During the non-winter months I typically only run through the touchnless car wash every ~2 weeks.

I did this with the Accord and at 7 years and ~150,000 miles it looked like it had ~40,000 miles, but it was silver and that helps a fair amount. The G37x in its dark blue shows more but at ~42,000 miles it looks like it has ~10,000 miles. Oh, I also have off-the-street parking in the best-for-the-car carport (covered, but not enclosed) parking.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2013, 09:18:58 PM

I wish I could! I haven't seen any BRZs for sale used.

EDIT: Seems like they're selling for more used than new!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 23, 2013, 09:19:17 PM
Look, if you can afford it, I don't know why it would matter whether your family is richer or poorer than ours. You're paying for it, not your family.

I'm just not used to it.

CALL_911

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 09:22:33 PM
I'm just not used to it.

You're making a lot more than your parents (presumably), might as well get used to that fact.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

You're gonna die in 60 years or so. You aren't taking that money to heaven with you.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 23, 2013, 09:27:07 PM
You're gonna die in 60 years or so. You aren't taking that money to heaven with you.

That's the best argument I've heard so far.

The other issue is that I have to park in some lot as the hood rats, hillbillies, and white trash. I guess other people have nice cars too, but it kinda sucks.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 09:03:36 PM
The issue is that touchless car washes don't take off salt very well.

Automatic car washes are the standard for a reason.

Better than nothing, and the ones with the underbody sprayers do it fair enough.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

I've decided my car is a racecar and the rust is only making it faster.   Yay rust
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

From prepping cars for sale - your paint is already fucked. At the Chevy dealer, we run our cars through our nasty ass automatic wash. Some have been through several times. And guess what

No one gives a fuck.

68_427

The Ir conditioning unit I  my trunk improved my weight distribution.   Its awesome.
'racecar is die'
no

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 68_427 on June 23, 2013, 10:58:47 PM
The Ir conditioning unit I  my trunk improved my weight distribution.   Its awesome.

This is not BRZ talk. Ban him

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 07:12:02 PM
People like Chris make me want to avoid new cars. Excessive concern for swirl marks, dings, and nicks just ruins it for me. I just want to drive a car and not worry about that shit. It's depressing.

Sometimes it seriously is depressing. I have anxiety about my car and its appearance. It's quite sad. But at the same time...it's 98% why I'm so good at what I do.

And the feeling I get after spending a few hours on my car sprucing it up...mmmmmmm... :ohyeah:

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2013, 06:58:36 PM
What?

And stop ruining my argument or he'll never get a fun car!

You should at least go through a touchless wash. It's a lot better than just warm water...the soaps are usually strong enough to actually remove a good portion of salty stuff, whereas water mostly just takes off the surface dirt but leaves the salt and stuff behind.

Compromise is to use the "pre-soak" and/or "soap" setting on the DIY wand...sometimes that's acceptable.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on June 23, 2013, 10:23:39 PM
From prepping cars for sale - your paint is already fucked. At the Chevy dealer, we run our cars through our nasty ass automatic wash. Some have been through several times. And guess what

No one gives a fuck.

This is very true. I insisted the dealer didn't wash my car before delivery. I picked it up filthy with plastic still on it. Sooooo much dirt was just caked on it. Had they washed it, it all would have been rubbed into the clear coat. Instead I did it. Took a ton of time, but even a year later, my clear coat is pretty scratch free. I need to strip the wax, light polish and rewax and it'll look better than the new ones they have on the lot.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

I was impressed with how clean and swirl-free my car was from the dealership.

But, I haven't allowed them or anyone else to wash it since.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on June 23, 2013, 10:23:39 PM

No one gives a fuck.

Yeah, basically.

But. I've also heard "it looks better than the day I bought it" plenty of times...people might not always know that they want something better than a basic, shitty, automatic car wash...until I give it to them. They love it.

280Z Turbo

Washing your car is a multi stage process that takes several hours. You must use distilled water with a perfectly neutral pH value heated to precisely 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't buy cheap $100 bottles of soap, you need to use good stuff blessed by Monks and made from unicorn oil...

2o6

Quote from: MrH on June 23, 2013, 11:23:59 PM
This is very true. I insisted the dealer didn't wash my car before delivery. I picked it up filthy with plastic still on it. Sooooo much dirt was just caked on it. Had they washed it, it all would have been rubbed into the clear coat. Instead I did it. Took a ton of time, but even a year later, my clear coat is pretty scratch free. I need to strip the wax, light polish and rewax and it'll look better than the new ones they have on the lot.

Typically, at my dealer, it gets washed whenever someone takes it on a test drive. Most cars have been washed a few times before they're sold, I'd say.