MrH's BRZ Thread

Started by MrH, June 24, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

MrH

Now that I've got something better than the Element to get to work in, the question is:  Do I keep the BRZ?

Crazy ideas I've thought about:

- Sell BRZ and invest the money
- Keep BRZ + do some minor mods (exhaust & taillights mostly)
- Keep BRZ + add turbo
- New Miata
- Used Boxster
- Save for awhile and get used 911 (air cooled or 997+)
- Slingshot (probably a big no)
- Ducati Scrambler :mask:

No idea what I'm going to do.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Give it to me for Christmas and rest assured I will appreciate it forever and drive it every day for the rest of my life
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd either sell it and invest the money or buy a new miata.

Do you have any current investments? If not then I'd really lean towards selling the brz and starting something. Then save up a few bucks and buy a used miata for 4-5K just to have some fun.

AutobahnSHO

honestly though I'd sell it, drop the cash into investment to get new MIATA when they are available next year
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 15, 2014, 09:22:18 AM
Used Boxster

In other words you want him to invest in the german economy by way of the porsche parts department.

Probably not going to get the best return out of that one.

Rich

But Porsche. But topless driving. But steering feel.

and now that he has a lady friend both can have their own trunk for a getaway.

MexicoCityM3

I say used Boxster. Or Ducati Scrambler if you want to die young.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

I vote for the Scrambler, with some other comments/ideas.

M96 Porsches are just not worth buying, unless you have the stomach to buy one with the intent of doing an engine replacement ASAP.
Air cooled Porsches make my pants happy. 997s are OK too. But they seem a little obvious. I think you would like an NSX or Evora S a lot more.
Unless you plan to track the BRZ regularly, I think selling it is the move. I will bet 9,999 times out of 10,000, you will be going for the Rocket Couch over the BRZ. It's on your resume now.... you did it, unless there is a plan for it going forward that doesn't just involve throwing money at it its prob time to move on.

I really do like the Scrambler. Not for me personally, but as an idea in general. If you aren't an idiot you should be OK on it. If you have any 2-lane routes to work, you will get hella legit use out of it, and it will offset the RC's gas costs. Way cooler than any sports car as well. Just make sure you take the MSF class and really take time to hone your skills and become a better rider. I will always have a bike if I can. Even a quick ride to the gym is fun and makes it worth it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 10:09:56 AM
I vote for the Scrambler, with some other comments/ideas.

M96 Porsches are just not worth buying, unless you have the stomach to buy one with the intent of doing an engine replacement ASAP.
Air cooled Porsches make my pants happy. 997s are OK too. But they seem a little obvious. I think you would like an NSX or Evora S a lot more.
Unless you plan to track the BRZ regularly, I think selling it is the move. I will bet 9,999 times out of 10,000, you will be going for the Rocket Couch over the BRZ. It's on your resume now.... you did it, unless there is a plan for it going forward that doesn't just involve throwing money at it its prob time to move on.

I really do like the Scrambler. Not for me personally, but as an idea in general. If you aren't an idiot you should be OK on it. If you have any 2-lane routes to work, you will get hella legit use out of it, and it will offset the RC's gas costs. Way cooler than any sports car as well. Just make sure you take the MSF class and really take time to hone your skills and become a better rider. I will always have a bike if I can. Even a quick ride to the gym is fun and makes it worth it.

Yeah, that's the thing.  90% of my driving is just to work and back.  The Genesis is a lot better for that.

And the BRZ doesn't bring the open top thrills the miata did.  As an only car, it's a much better vehicle.  A motorcycle is probably even more fun, but I don't trust myself on one.

I think the new miata probably represents the most street fun per $ that isn't a motorcycle.  Boxsters and Caymans are too much of a maintenance & insurance money pit.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

So you want two brand new cars?  Kinda pointless but whatever floats your boat

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on December 15, 2014, 10:56:49 AM
Yeah, that's the thing.  90% of my driving is just to work and back.  The Genesis is a lot better for that.

And the BRZ doesn't bring the open top thrills the miata did.  As an only car, it's a much better vehicle.  A motorcycle is probably even more fun, but I don't trust myself on one.

I think the new miata probably represents the most street fun per $ that isn't a motorcycle.  Boxsters and Caymans are too much of a maintenance & insurance money pit.
U also have to figure, for a drop top, how much real open air time u will get. Down here I see a lot of convertibles but none with the top down. Strangely, with the right clothing, a motorcycle is more versatile, at least from what I've seen. Maybe not.

Miata is a good buy if open air thrills are key.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

Man I can't wait for the day I can earn enough to blow money on a sports car

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2014, 12:08:50 PM
Man I can't wait for the day I can earn enough to blow money on a sports car

Well if you didn't have to spend so much money to keep a VW on the road you could probably afford one.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 11:39:42 AM
U also have to figure, for a drop top, how much real open air time u will get. Down here I see a lot of convertibles but none with the top down. Strangely, with the right clothing, a motorcycle is more versatile, at least from what I've seen. Maybe not.

Unless it's super hot or super cold or actually raining my Miata was top-down.

I see waaaaay too many verts of all kinds around here with the top up on good driving days. :huh:
Will

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 11:39:42 AM

It was probably down 60-70% of the time I had the NC.  So if I got another miata, it would pretty much be down anytime I drove it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

Quote from: MrH on December 16, 2014, 08:01:56 PM
It was probably down 60-70% of the time I had the NC.  So if I got another miata, it would pretty much be down anytime I drove it.

Not if girly friend is with you

PUT THIS TOP UP LIKE OMG YOURE GONNA MESS UP MY HAIR IM GOING TO LOOK SO STUPID YOU DONT WANT ME TO LOOK STUPID DO YOU YOU WANT ME TO LOOK HOT WTF

Read that in her voice and tell me you can't see that happening.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on December 16, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

PUT THIS TOP UP LIKE OMG YOURE GONNA MESS UP MY HAIR IM GOING TO LOOK SO STUPID YOU DONT WANT ME TO LOOK STUPID DO YOU YOU WANT ME TO LOOK HOT WTF

Naw.  She's not a big girly girl and puts up with me pretty well.  If anything, she'd just suggest to take the Genesis more often.  :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

I've warned my wife about hair-wind.

She's still cool with saving money for an older Miata. We both lust after the new one though....    :(
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 17, 2014, 07:02:47 AM
I've warned my wife about hair-wind.

She's still cool with saving money for an older Miata. We both lust after the new one though....    :(

Yeah, that's what ponytails are for.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: 68_427 on December 16, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

So the real reason they're called "hairdressers' cars" is that they keep hairdressers in business?

Rich

Something topless and unreliable

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

I used to date a girl with a convertible and she had the top down all the time. :huh:

Char

Keep the BRZ (if it's paid off) and have fun with it in Autocross.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on December 17, 2014, 09:28:34 AM
Sounds like my ex-wife.

If youve ever been married, ill eat my own hat

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

What's the SPIN price?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Saving up for that HHR? I'd rather keep the BRZ, but to each his own.