The Greatest Cars Thread

Started by Payman, July 01, 2012, 10:50:18 AM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 01, 2012, 11:49:38 AM
Every M3, except the next one, the convertibles and the slushies (not SMG the E36 5ATs)

Don't you think it a bit more reasonable to wait until the car actually exists before condemning it? If the 1M is anything to go by, the turbo engine won't be enough to make it suck.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Good choices here. Except that Trans-Am and the Lumina.

I'd add the fist gen Sentra SE-R
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

i feel like I have to:

BRZ/FR-S twins. Probably the most important car to enthusiasts since the mid 90's.

GT-R: flipped the entire market around. Still does things i didn't think were physically possible.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Citroen SM - no explanation needed.

Mercedes 500K Spezial Roadster - the most beautiful car ever made in my opinion. When you see it in person (inside the MB museum) you'll be in complete awe.

Mercedes 710 SSK "Count Trossi" - just look at this bad boy.  :wub: <---- History and Heritage.  :rockon:

Mercedes W123 - best MB ever.

Maserati Biturbo - you better believe it! Beautiful styling. I remember these were quite "common" in the early 1990s when I was in Europe and I've always liked the design.

1980 Ford LTD - America's workhorse! The American car of the '80s Hollywood movies (together with the equally gorgeous Chevrolet Caprice)!  :rockon:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 01, 2012, 11:49:38 AM
Every M3, except the next one, the convertibles and the slushies (not SMG the E36 5ATs)

You've already seen the future and decided that the next M3 that's years away is not great, but the rest of them are? 

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 01, 2012, 06:01:11 PM
i feel like I have to:

BRZ/FR-S twins. Probably the most important car to enthusiasts since the mid 90's.

GT-R: flipped the entire market around. Still does things i didn't think were physically possible.

The GT-R I agree with; not my favorite car, but absolutely a great one. 

BRZFRS is interesting, but I'm not ready to put it down on the list of the greatest cars of all time.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Another great car, another icon of the '80s. And they must have been good if the cops and taxi fleets used them!  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2012, 10:58:35 AM

To steal the words from our very own Raza, this car symbolized the idea that luxury was about quality, not gadgets.

The 560 SEL is definitely on my list. So classy. I loved that the Blueths had one in Arrested Development.

One thing I am definitely looking forward to in Houston is its deep, cheap, and salt-free used car market!

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 02, 2012, 09:34:07 AM
Another great car, another icon of the '80s. And they must have been good if the cops and taxi fleets used them!  :wub:

Get out of my thread.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on July 02, 2012, 09:45:59 AM
Get out of my thread.

Where's the door?  :devil:

Buddy, I am serious. I think this is a good car.  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 02, 2012, 10:12:07 AM

You should seriously drive one and report back. In the meanwhile, we should propose a moratorium on your box Caprice worship. If you can honestly say after witnessing the malaise for yourself that you'd rather have a box Caprice than a Citroen C5 or DS5, then feel free to continue trolling.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 02, 2012, 11:05:30 AM
You should seriously drive one and report back. In the meanwhile, we should propose a moratorium on your box Caprice worship. If you can honestly say after witnessing the malaise for yourself that you'd rather have a box Caprice than a Citroen C5 or DS5, then feel free to continue trolling.

I second the proposition for a moritorium.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

For those of you interested, the Maserati Biturbo did make one quite notorious list:

The 50 Worst Cars of All Time

"Biturbo" is, of course, Italian for "expensive junk." At least, it is now, after Maserati tried to pass off this bitter heartbreak-on-wheels as a proper grand touring sedan. The Biturbo was the product of a desperate, under-funded company circling the drain of bankruptcy, and it shows. Everything that could leak, burn, snap or rupture did so with the regularity of the Anvil Chorus. The collected service advisories would look like the Gutenberg Bible. The only greater ignominy was the early 1990s Maserati TC, a version of the Chrysler Le Baron (a flaccid, front-drive, four-cylinder loser-mobile) with the proud Mazzer Trident on the nose. Finally, sir, have you no shame?

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658531,00.html #ixzz1zUFDuHlL

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2012, 10:58:35 AM

To steal the words from our very own Raza, this car symbolized the idea that luxury was about quality, not gadgets.

:ohyeah:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 01, 2012, 01:03:31 PM
If I had enough money, this is what would be in my garage:

One of the greatest failures, sure.  One of the greatest cars?  It benchmarked a low power two seater convertible and fell short in every single comparable aspect.  

From the Car and Driver comparison where it placed a noble second (of two):
"Truth is, the Solstice is 452 pounds heavier than the MX-5."
"At the racetrack, the Solstice lagged 1.21 seconds per lap behind the MX-5"
"[T]he Pontiac displayed just one handling trait, understeer"
"[T]he Solstice we tested in October achieved 60 mph in 7.2 seconds, putting it a half-second behind this latest MX-5"
"Buyers should accept that, despite some variations, a Solstice will always be a few ticks behind an MX-5 in acceleration."
"ABS should be standard, not a $400 option."
"Raising the roof is a multistep routine that can't be accomplished without getting out, and the rear deck requires an unseemly force to slam."

Okay, so I cherry picked comments to make it seem like they slammed the car instead of having the MX-5 edge it out by something like four points.  But still, when you're second in a class of two, it's hard to say it should be considered on the same footing as the winner.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

I agree. Cars that were not the greatest among their contemporaries shouldn't be in this list.

Rich

And those are just your opinions.  IMO there hasn't been a more beautiful car sold new at such a low price.  

Mazda is a better drive, sure, but man, they really fucked up the design.

Oh, so we get to design a sporty convertible?  Let's draw the stay puft marshmallow man and put it on 4 wheels.

could they make the car look any less manly!??!?!

(All IMO, of course)
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 02, 2012, 11:05:30 AM

Trolling?

Go back to page one and read this:

"Post a car that, in your opinion, was/is a great car. Tell us why you think so."

I would love to drive one by the way and a 1980s Ford LTD. At least I posted two "Malaise Era" American cars which I think had a bit of substance (used by taxi and police forces where durability and reliability are important).

If I had posted a Plymouth Volare, then you could claim I was trolling. I still think the Plymouth Volare is a hot car. Great car? No. But a sexy design. And I equally think the Maserati Biturbo is a great car. Sure, it started out with reliability problems but the design is gorgeous and we should be glad there are people out there today who collect them, fix them and love working on them. IMO the Biturbo has already attained classic status and its problems can be fixed with the use of modern replacements.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 02, 2012, 10:12:07 AM

Come to Detroit. We can buy one and spend the weekend driving around in a shitty ass Caprice. it will change your mind.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 02, 2012, 03:50:00 PM
Come to Detroit. We can buy one and spend the weekend driving around in a shitty ass Caprice. it will change your mind.

I second this proposition.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

+5

Compose a photo essay for one of those German magazines about your experience. "Mein Zeit in der Americanscheissauto"

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 02, 2012, 12:27:27 PM
And those are just your opinions.  IMO there hasn't been a more beautiful car sold new at such a low price.  

Mazda is a better drive, sure, but man, they really fucked up the design.

Oh, so we get to design a sporty convertible?  Let's draw the stay puft marshmallow man and put it on 4 wheels.

could they make the car look any less manly!??!?!

(All IMO, of course)

I don't understand anyone who thinks the Solstice is that good looking.  It's okay looking, but the Saturn Sky was so much better to look at and it was just as much a second place finish as the Solstice. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

I think the Solstice is remarkably unlike typical GM, in a "wow, that's true to the concept" sort of way.

cawimmer430

Be honest here, how "crappy" were these cars? I am under the impression that they were quite good given how they were used en masse by taxi and police fleets.

At least they must have been a tad better than the other Malaise Era stuff...

I can't wait to ride in a Caprice with you in the near future!  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

I think you overestimate the standards of taxi and police fleets...

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on July 02, 2012, 07:45:48 PM
I think you overestimate the standards of taxi and police fleets...

Seriously.  They use Crown Victorias still and they're utter crap.  I'm surprised we haven't seen Dodge Caliber cop cars yet.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i