OH MY G*D!

Started by cawimmer430, October 22, 2005, 10:17:26 AM

ifcar

QuoteFun fact for you guys, before the Parsi invasion and the intermingling with Zoroastrians, Judaism was originally a polytheistic religion, and YHWH was not a universal god, but a tribal god of the Jews.  The Zoroastrians had the idea of a universal god, and that was passed to the Jews during the time of their intermingling.  This partly explains why the earth was populated by Adam and Eve, then Cain and Abel, and after Cain killed Abel, he became the last person on earth, but in Genesis 3, he came to know his wife.  In Genesis 2, which was written before Genesis 1, you can see the evidence of YHWH as a tribal god molding humanity and the earth out of materials, but in Genesis 1, god was all powerful, and therefore "Let there be light" was all that was needed.
God was always universal according to the Jews, but it was only the Jewish tribe that believed in him to be universal.  Everyone else at the time where pagans and worshipped idols.  And Judaism was never, EVER, a polytheistic religion.  Everything in Judaism deals with the "oneness" of God.
It's entirely possible that the earliest form of historical, if not Biblical, Judaism was in the form that Raza was discussing.

Raza, I imagine that historically, the Torah and other religious documents emerged to set this new tone for the one-God form of Judaism? Did your professor discuss that aspect?
Judaism was never a polytheistic religion as Raza is describing....it always dealt with the oneness of God.  But after the generations of Adam and Noach, the world was almost entirely polytheistic until Abraham came along.
I specifically said historically. The Bible is not a historical reference book.  

ifcar

QuoteYou don't need to star out the O in "God," if he gives a shit it's more or less the same sentiment =P
I know it's a Jewish thing, but I didn't think Chistian was Jewish.

In any case, very nice.
Jews typically write it like this "G-d."  Chris is not Jewish, but his father is, so maybe thats why he did it.
Is it because Jews can't say God?
They're not supposed to write the name of god on anything that might be destroyed or thrown out.  And they can't say the true name of god, so they substitute "Adonai" for "Yahweh", if I recall correctly.
Yahweh? Can't say I've ever seen that before.  :blink:

Adonai is one accepted substitute, "hashem" (The Name) is another. There's another that's simply a set of Hebrew characters that is read as Adonai.
Yahweh (pronounced "Yah way" comes from the ineffable "YHWH", the vowel sounds stemming from Hebrew accents found within the actual Hebrew letters themselves.  Other popular forms are "Yahveh", "Yehovah", and "Jehovah".
That may very well be the set of Hebrew characters I was referring to pronounced phonetically.  

Raza

QuoteFun fact for you guys, before the Parsi invasion and the intermingling with Zoroastrians, Judaism was originally a polytheistic religion, and YHWH was not a universal god, but a tribal god of the Jews.  The Zoroastrians had the idea of a universal god, and that was passed to the Jews during the time of their intermingling.  This partly explains why the earth was populated by Adam and Eve, then Cain and Abel, and after Cain killed Abel, he became the last person on earth, but in Genesis 3, he came to know his wife.  In Genesis 2, which was written before Genesis 1, you can see the evidence of YHWH as a tribal god molding humanity and the earth out of materials, but in Genesis 1, god was all powerful, and therefore "Let there be light" was all that was needed.
God was always universal according to the Jews, but it was only the Jewish tribe that believed in him to be universal.  Everyone else at the time where pagans and worshipped idols.  And Judaism was never, EVER, a polytheistic religion.  Everything in Judaism deals with the "oneness" of God.
It's entirely possible that the earliest form of historical, if not Biblical, Judaism was in the form that Raza was discussing.

Raza, I imagine that historically, the Torah and other religious documents emerged to set this new tone for the one-God form of Judaism? Did your professor discuss that aspect?
We didn't discuss fully the texts of the Torah, or if we did, I missed some of it.  I could ask him (I've kept a good relationship with him) and come back and tell you what I found.  It was a summer course, afterall.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

That's all right, I was just curious if you'd covered that. It sounds quite interesting.  

Raza

QuoteThat's all right, I was just curious if you'd covered that. It sounds quite interesting.
I took 16 credits over the summer, and then ran straight into a 15 credit semester.  Everything I learned over the summer is a blur.  I remember a little art history, much of my religion stuff, some Spanish, little sociology (as I call it, Marxism 101), and speech wasn't even worth having a full class.  I still have my textbook here somewhere...I'll flip through it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

In the book Angels and Demons, two character make an experiment  to try and fuse science and religion. The books says that from the experiment they found that God is just pure energy, and that matter can form from it. Its hard to explain without the book on hand, but it almost makes complete sense. And the weird part....is that in the beginning of the book is that the information not relating to the scheming plot is real. I'm not sure if that's in refrence to just the Illuminati and CERN, or if it actually includes the experiment.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteFun fact for you guys, before the Parsi invasion and the intermingling with Zoroastrians, Judaism was originally a polytheistic religion, and YHWH was not a universal god, but a tribal god of the Jews.? The Zoroastrians had the idea of a universal god, and that was passed to the Jews during the time of their intermingling.? This partly explains why the earth was populated by Adam and Eve, then Cain and Abel, and after Cain killed Abel, he became the last person on earth, but in Genesis 3, he came to know his wife.? In Genesis 2, which was written before Genesis 1, you can see the evidence of YHWH as a tribal god molding humanity and the earth out of materials, but in Genesis 1, god was all powerful, and therefore "Let there be light" was all that was needed.

Judaism was never a polytheistic religion as Raza is describing....it always dealt with the oneness of God.  But after the generations of Adam and Noach, the world was almost entirely polytheistic until Abraham came along.
To me it is, if I didnt believe it was history, why would I follow Judaism?  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

Haha, I walk into this thread and had to check the title a couple times.:P

SaltyDog

QuoteHaha, I walk into this thread and had to check the title a couple times.:P
Did it hurt?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

footoflead

QuoteHaha, I walk into this thread and had to check the title a couple times.:P
:D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

QuoteIn the book Angels and Demons, two character make an experiment  to try and fuse science and religion. The books says that from the experiment they found that God is just pure energy, and that matter can form from it. Its hard to explain without the book on hand, but it almost makes complete sense. And the weird part....is that in the beginning of the book is that the information not relating to the scheming plot is real. I'm not sure if that's in refrence to just the Illuminati and CERN, or if it actually includes the experiment.
As entertaining as Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code were, it's still largely fiction.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteIn the book Angels and Demons, two character make an experiment  to try and fuse science and religion. The books says that from the experiment they found that God is just pure energy, and that matter can form from it. Its hard to explain without the book on hand, but it almost makes complete sense. And the weird part....is that in the beginning of the book is that the information not relating to the scheming plot is real. I'm not sure if that's in refrence to just the Illuminati and CERN, or if it actually includes the experiment.
As entertaining as Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code were, it's still largely fiction.
Agreed. Anyone can find something if they're convinced it's there, it's just a matter of time and effort. Don't put too much stock in people who "discover" hidden things in historical texts. They wouldn't have found them if they weren't looking to find something.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

There's nothing that I can say to you then. Whatever I say, you'll just point out where the Bible differs. Treating an ancient document as an accurate or even adequate account of thousands of years of history is ludicrous, not religious.  

BMWDave

QuoteFun fact for you guys, before the Parsi invasion and the intermingling with Zoroastrians, Judaism was originally a polytheistic religion, and YHWH was not a universal god, but a tribal god of the Jews.? The Zoroastrians had the idea of a universal god, and that was passed to the Jews during the time of their intermingling.? This partly explains why the earth was populated by Adam and Eve, then Cain and Abel, and after Cain killed Abel, he became the last person on earth, but in Genesis 3, he came to know his wife.? In Genesis 2, which was written before Genesis 1, you can see the evidence of YHWH as a tribal god molding humanity and the earth out of materials, but in Genesis 1, god was all powerful, and therefore "Let there be light" was all that was needed.

There's nothing that I can say to you then. Whatever I say, you'll just point out where the Bible differs. Treating an ancient document as an accurate or even adequate account of thousands of years of history is ludicrous, not religious.
I'm not saying its an adequate document for historical purposes, but I certainly dont believe its not true, as you seem to have suggested.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

cawimmer430

QuoteChris, you're ok with it having more than 100 horsepower and a petrol engine? <_<  :lol:  :lol:
If it had 99-hp, it would have been acceptable. But 100-hp makes it such a gas guzzler. Think of the environment man!  :P  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

QuoteYou don't need to star out the O in "God," if he gives a shit it's more or less the same sentiment =P
I know it's a Jewish thing, but I didn't think Chistian was Jewish.

In any case, very nice.
I just left out the "o" in God so I wouldn't offend anyone.  ;)

BTW, my mom's 1/2 Jewish, my father is 100% Roman Catholic.  ;)  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteWow, this has gone so off topic. Interesting that Christian started this thread, eh?  :P
Don't worry, I just learned something about Judaism. Must forward this to my mom, she'd be very interested.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

I'm not saying its an adequate document for historical purposes, but I certainly dont believe its not true, as you seem to have suggested.
I consider it similar to a set of proverbs with which some pieces of history can be tracked, and that is useful for studying the historical period in which it was put on paper. Not any sort of worthy historical record.

Raza is talking about Judaic history in relation to other known historical activity, not what the Bible says. Which do you think is a more accurate way of analyzing history, looking at research into the last few thousand years or reading the Bible?

93JC

The bible! Historians are godless heathens, destined for eternal damnation in the fiery inferno of hell!

Attend weekly religious sermons and tithe a signifcant portion of your income to the church and you shall be saved!

J86

QuoteLUCKY
Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm fucked if there is a God.  :lol:
You an me both!

Raza

According to historians, very little, if any of the Bible is historic.  The only accounts of many Biblical happenings (such as Jews in Egypt) only occur in the Bible itself, and therefore cannot be considered fact.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

autom?vel

QuoteSo if i prayed to God for a zillion dollars, i'd get it?
QuoteNo. Its not easy, and I cant explain to you how G-d works, no one knows that. Sometimes god answers, and sometimes not.

Judaism is a very complicated thing, I've spent all my life studying it and I still have loads to learn...I surely cannot tell everything about it on a web forum.

From a Catholic perspective, I've always assumed you were supposed to meet G-d halfway or at least to some proportion. Even then, who knows.

Basically do it yourself, and pray for the best.   ^_^  
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt