Jeep Grand Cherokee fails "Moose Test," Chrysler insults testers

Started by Secret Chimp, July 12, 2012, 10:03:04 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: Rupert on July 22, 2012, 12:36:58 AM
The JGC is a very capable off-roader, so there shouldn't be an expectation for it to perform the same as a 911.

Obviously. However rOtors line of argumentation seems to be that it is unfair that the 911 gets higher marks for handling then the GC, since the 911 can carry much less cargo. Therefore the GC should win by default.

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on July 20, 2012, 04:07:55 PM
Oh come on, any vehicle that has the real world advatage of being able to haul a load of crap is automatically put in a gigantic disadvantage in the test... its crap

The Touareg V6 diesel, can haul  more then the GC V6 diesel (762kg vs. 602kg) and it has no problems in the test.  :huh:

ifcar

On the other hand, it did fail that test pretty spectacularly, repeatedly. I think that's worth noting that fact, and if you're a soccer mom, maybe it's worth paying attention to it.

I think this is a fairly important point. It's not just about what the car was designed for (off-road capability) but what most buyers will actually use it for (driving it like a car.) Especially because it's now more of a smooth luxury vehicle than ever -- it can pass for a crossover, at least until you need to swerve.

Raza

A lot of you guys are looking at this thing like it's a typical car. That's why the Volvo did so much better-- it's a car, not a truck. The JGC is a very capable off-roader, so there shouldn't be an expectation for it to perform the same as a 911. I've driven the previous generation GC (WK, I guess) 4000+ miles this summer already, and probably 10,000 miles before that. Compared to a car, it handles like ass, of course, but it's a lot better than the full-size trucks we often drive. The JGC is also at least as capable in most real-world (i.e. not a mud pit or literal boulder field) off-road type situations as, for example, the old Dodge 2500s with huge tires.

On the other hand, it did fail that test pretty spectacularly, repeatedly. I think that's worth noting that fact, and if you're a soccer mom, maybe it's worth paying attention to it.

If any OMG ITZ A TERRIBLE CAR conclusions are to be drawn, we should do it after comparing these results to those from, say, an XTerra, or some other off-road ready SUV.

In a recent long term study by the Sweisskagg Institute of Automotive Excellence, the Volvo XC90 was shown to be the third most capable four door SUV when it came to offroad endeavors, falling behind only the Mercedes G class and the Land Rover Range Rover.  The Jeep Grand Cherokee finished a strong fifth.  However, it should be noted that during their accident avoidance tests, the Jeep Grand Cherokee performed marginally better than it did here, but still failed the three-tier-cake test (the test scenario is built around transporting a wedding cake quickly to a "bridezilla" type). 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2012, 07:28:31 AM
In a recent long term study by the Sweisskagg Institute of Automotive Excellence, the Volvo XC90 was shown to be the third most capable four door SUV when it came to offroad endeavors, falling behind only the Mercedes G class and the Land Rover Range Rover.  The Jeep Grand Cherokee finished a strong fifth.  However, it should be noted that during their accident avoidance tests, the Jeep Grand Cherokee performed marginally better than it did here, but still failed the three-tier-cake test (the test scenario is built around transporting a wedding cake quickly to a "bridezilla" type). 
What kind of offroad endeavors? I can't imagine an XC90 being more capable than a GC with the correct suspension...
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

ifcar

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27747.msg1752690#msg1752690 date=1342963711
In a recent long term study by the Sweisskagg Institute of Automotive Excellence, the Volvo XC90 was shown to be the third most capable four door SUV when it came to offroad endeavors, falling behind only the Mercedes G class and the Land Rover Range Rover.  The Jeep Grand Cherokee finished a strong fifth.  However, it should be noted that during their accident avoidance tests, the Jeep Grand Cherokee performed marginally better than it did here, but still failed the three-tier-cake test (the test scenario is built around transporting a wedding cake quickly to a "bridezilla" type). 

Ha, good one.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: ifcar on July 22, 2012, 06:37:14 AM
I think this is a fairly important point. It's not just about what the car was designed for (off-road capability) but what most buyers will actually use it for (driving it like a car.) Especially because it's now more of a smooth luxury vehicle than ever -- it can pass for a crossover, at least until you need to swerve.

Aye. It's pretty easy to see the whole thing as an affront to off-road SUVs, but it's nothing new there, and most people who buy most off-road SUVs don't use them for off-roading.

IMO, the solution is for people that just need to drive Jimmy to the orthodontist should buy something else (like a goddamn station wagon), not re-engineering the JGC to ruin its off-road ability.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

Rupert

Meh.

There were plenty of good options for people that needed an off-road SUV before SUVs became the soccer mom vehicle of choice. I'm fine going back to that.

2o6

Rupert

Didn't say there aren't. Rather, my comments regarding the JGC might lead one to think that I think the opposite. ;)

Tave

Quote from: 93JC on July 20, 2012, 11:48:16 AM
Yeah, I don't buy it either, unless you're riding a ridiculously low sportbike.

Like I said, it would have to be low but 4 feet isn't beyond the realm of imagination. I still think it's BS, but might be theoretically possible.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

Quote from: Rupert on July 22, 2012, 11:54:48 AM
Aye. It's pretty easy to see the whole thing as an affront to off-road SUVs, but it's nothing new there, and most people who buy most off-road SUVs don't use them for off-roading.

IMO, the solution is for people that just need to drive Jimmy to the orthodontist should buy something else (like a goddamn station wagon), not re-engineering the JGC to ruin its off-road ability.

True... and i enjoy my off road ability
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: Tave on July 22, 2012, 01:43:24 PM
Like I said, it would have to be low but 4 feet isn't beyond the realm of imagination. I still think it's BS, but might be theoretically possible.

Typical repli-racer sportbike (GSX-R/ZX-R/CBRR) is 44-45" tall, with the top of the windscreen being the tallest point.  Even laying flat on the tank, the rider's head is probably going to be 5-6" above the windscreen.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

I think you can expect 3.5 - 3.8 ft under the belly of a very large moose in AK.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on July 22, 2012, 09:41:35 AM
Um, guys, I think he made that up.

It's been a while since I've brought up the Sweisskagg Institute.  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

My kids were taught on defensive driving courses (& rehearsed) to swerve around "surprise" objects in the road; the given scenario was a refrigerator falling off the back of a truck in front of you. Brake as hard as you can ("try to break off the brake pedal") & let the ABS do its magic as you steer around it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Atomic

Allpar has a really good synopsis and although generally (but not always) pro-Chrysler Corporation, I like the reference from the German publication and the highly regarded safety rating cited in the U.S. There is also something called "driver error" and also "Murphy's Law" -- more importantly is what appears to be an isolated innocent... Regardless of the source of the problem.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Submariner on July 15, 2012, 03:36:13 PM
Some of the vehicles I'd feel comfortable hitting a moose with:

Otherwise, I'm swerving. 

Even better, one of these

giant_mtb

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 31, 2012, 05:33:01 PM
Even better, one of these

It's crazy to think that was constructed in 1978.  And that a similar machine was completed in the late '50s. :confused: :rockon:

AutobahnSHO

WHAT do you even use something that big on???
Seems like the bother building it you could just do whatever with regular machines/trucks...
Will