Jeep Grand Cherokee fails "Moose Test," Chrysler insults testers

Started by Secret Chimp, July 12, 2012, 10:03:04 AM

AutobahnSHO

My dad had an OLDER Cherokee. One of the really square ones. I laughed when I drove it, the visors are full of warnings about a high center of gravity and that the vehicle doesn't handle like a regular car.
Duh.
Will

Galaxy

Quote from: Tave on July 19, 2012, 06:07:08 PM
That's exactly what they do, they test how fast they can drive through a cone obstacle. Eventually every car fails. Here are the highest posted speeds in the test from the testers themselves.

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/2011/06/12/14314/algtestet--resultat-bil-for-bil/

My bad I had memorized that they drove it at highway speeds.

Btw. wtf is the Citroen Xantia doing at the top of the list?  :confused:

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on July 19, 2012, 06:06:04 PM
Load up a xc90 to 7000 pounds and let's see what happens....

The difference is that Volvo does not allow you to load an XC90 to 7000lbs.

2o6

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2012, 12:09:15 AM

Btw. wtf is the Citroen Xantia doing at the top of the list?  :confused:

Xantia Activas post some insane grip numbers.  There's reports of that car posting over 1g on stock 205 tires.

SVT_Power

Active suspension, interesting car.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: mzziaz on July 17, 2012, 01:35:07 PM
A moose aint that big. I suppose you could slide under it with lots of luck.
You must have mini mooses.  Ours are huge.  A bull moose will be 7ft (2.1m) at the shoulders and weigh 1500 lbs (680 kg) with an antler spread of almost 6ft.

mzziaz

Quote from: SVT666 on July 20, 2012, 09:58:55 AM
You must have mini mooses.  Ours are huge.  A bull moose will be 7ft (2.1m) at the shoulders and weigh 1500 lbs (680 kg) with an antler spread of almost 6ft.

I doubt you have moose so large you can drive under it with a bike. That, or you have really small motorbikes.
Cuore Sportivo

SVT666

Quote from: mzziaz on July 20, 2012, 10:24:47 AM
I doubt you have moose so large you can drive under it with a bike. That, or you have really small motorbikes.
No, but the belly of a full grown bull moose will be between 3'6" and 4'0" off the ground.

mzziaz

The premise was that a driver on a motorcycle could just duck and drive under a moose since they are so big, which i doubted.
Cuore Sportivo

93JC

Yeah, I don't buy it either, unless you're riding a ridiculously low sportbike.

Raza

I had a very similar experience years ago in the Passat.  Avoid to the left, into oncoming traffic, find a free slot, drive into it, and then over the median.  It's mostly instinct at that point, you're just reacting and attacking.  I'm predisposed to react in that manner, whereas other people would react differently.  So you can't just say "oh an average person wouldn't do this", because you don't know what they would do.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2012, 12:11:57 AM
The difference is that Volvo does not allow you to load an XC90 to 7000lbs.

So in this great test it carries a fraction of the weight and then is claimed to be perfectly fine because of that... itd a BS test from the get go
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Secret Chimp

Quote from: r0tor on July 20, 2012, 02:34:24 PM
So in this great test it carries a fraction of the weight and then is claimed to be perfectly fine because of that... itd a BS test from the get go

Again, look at what the JGC does even when loaded down to what Chrysler claims is the correct weight. It bobbles around and blows tires.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Cookie Monster

Oh noes! The Porsche 911 Turbo also carried a fraction of the weight the JGC did! This test is full of shit!

:facepalm:

All the cars are loaded up to what the manufacturers max load specifications. Chrysler designed it to carry that much, so it better be able to do so safely at any speed.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

Quote from: thecarnut on July 20, 2012, 03:23:51 PM
Oh noes! The Porsche 911 Turbo also carried a fraction of the weight the JGC did! This test is full of shit!

:facepalm:

All the cars are loaded up to what the manufacturers max load specifications. Chrysler designed it to carry that much, so it better be able to do so safely at any speed.

Nothing is safe at any speed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

This video explains everything

http://youtu.be/09-C33SrJi8

SVT666

r0tor

Oh come on, any vehicle that has the real world advatage of being able to haul a load of crap is automatically put in a gigantic disadvantage in the test... its crap

280Z Turbo

Would a GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 be able to pass the moose test?

r0tor

Probably not...

Hell, why dont they make vehicles also do the test towing their max capacity... cause you never know when one of them damn moose will suddenly jump out

2o6

Quit acting as if the Grand Cherokee is the only vehicle sold or tested.

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on July 20, 2012, 04:07:55 PM
Oh come on, any vehicle that has the real world advatage of being able to haul a load of crap is automatically put in a gigantic disadvantage in the test... its crap

It's not an advantage if it can't carry that load safely. If you don't care about load affecting handling, you can overload something else.

r0tor

Good, then let's also make the vehicles tow there max during the test to make sure it can tow safely

Galaxy

No one has said that one should not buy a GC because of this, or that the GC is not a great car.  People just want Chrysler to look into this situation to see if something needs to be done.

You are acting like the father of a princess who is upset that princess got scolded because she pulled the plants out of the pots at school.

r0tor

No, I'm just pointing out its a stupid test and I applaud Chrysler for calling the testers idiots

Secret Chimp

... the fact that the JGC bobbles around like the shocks are blown and pops tires is the test's fault?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 21, 2012, 12:52:11 PM
... the fact that the JGC bobbles around like the shocks are blown and pops tires is the test's fault?

It's a 4x4 off roader. The fact that it makes the turn at all is pretty good.

r0tor

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on July 17, 2012, 09:02:50 AM
Pshaw! You need a custom guard from a shop, not some half-assed pre-fab POS that damages the car.

$$$

And we get new rigs every five years.

I mean, shit, if I could do what I wanted, they would all get BFGs, custom bumpers/guards, winches, lights, external mounts for shovel, Pulaski, hi-lift, etc. As it is, we're lucky to get LT tires and a discount at the end from the body shop for all the dents and scratches!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

A lot of you guys are looking at this thing like it's a typical car. That's why the Volvo did so much better-- it's a car, not a truck. The JGC is a very capable off-roader, so there shouldn't be an expectation for it to perform the same as a 911. I've driven the previous generation GC (WK, I guess) 4000+ miles this summer already, and probably 10,000 miles before that. Compared to a car, it handles like ass, of course, but it's a lot better than the full-size trucks we often drive. The JGC is also at least as capable in most real-world (i.e. not a mud pit or literal boulder field) off-road type situations as, for example, the old Dodge 2500s with huge tires.

On the other hand, it did fail that test pretty spectacularly, repeatedly. I think that's worth noting that fact, and if you're a soccer mom, maybe it's worth paying attention to it.

If any OMG ITZ A TERRIBLE CAR conclusions are to be drawn, we should do it after comparing these results to those from, say, an XTerra, or some other off-road ready SUV.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA