Toyotaness

Started by 2o6, July 13, 2012, 02:46:28 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on July 13, 2012, 06:23:14 PM
Oh, my Miata's A/C compressor, alternator and PS pump all have over 200K on them. I don't see the big deal.

The "big deal" is domestics don't last that long. Seriously, the OEM fuelpumps on the gen1 Taurus conked out at almost exaclty 80,000 miles on the dot. Alternators and waterpumps were almost as bad.

Quote from: TurboDan on July 13, 2012, 06:38:19 PM
but when they put their mind to building something cool, they can.

TOYOBARU.   :lol:

Will

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on July 13, 2012, 06:38:19 PM
They have some good shit in the lineup. HiLux is a pretty cool truck. Land Cruiser is a beast and always has been. 4Runner has always been a great midsize SUV. There's something cool about the FJ, even though it's not for me. In the past few years, SC430 and MR-2 Spyder were both awesome IMO. Their cars are generally vanilla, but when they put their mind to building something cool, they can.

If they updated the MR-2 Spyder and re-released it I'd scoop one up when the LR2 is paid off.

Hilux and Tacoma are pretty much the same (save for a Diesel option).

Their Vanilla cars are just so well engineered....everything is done in such a manner that shows that real thought was put into the details of how their product comes together, something other manufacutrers don't seem to obsess over.

Quote from: Rupert on July 13, 2012, 05:40:27 PM
You could not spend three days of posts freaking out then deciding which shitty mechanic to take it to then bitching about the job they do then saying how wonderful the car is, even after all that. ;)

I took it to the dealer.

MrH

This thing is a giant :facepalm:

You're right, no other OEM don't put any thought in how things go together...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on July 13, 2012, 08:12:17 PM

That's not what I mean.

I'm just admiring the thoughtfulness that Toyota put into their product. (Anecdotal, based upon what I have personally experienced)

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2012, 08:05:39 PM
Hilux and Tacoma are pretty much the same (save for a Diesel option).

How are they the same? For starters, they're differently sized. Hilux is smaller. The Hilux also has a fully boxed frame - and springs, suspensions are completely different on the HiLux. It can handle double the payload (though it can tow less than the Taco). Also, have you seen the interior of the '12 Hilux? It's head over heels better than the Taco. Hilux is also built on the IMV platform. I don't believe the Taco is.

QuoteTheir Vanilla cars are just so well engineered....everything is done in such a manner that shows that real thought was put into the details of how their product comes together, something other manufacutrers don't seem to obsess over.

Huh? What other cars have you driven to make you think Toyota is superior? Toyota makes perfectly fine mainstream cars but "attention to detail" isn't one of their strong suits. If you read reviews, they're universally panned by automotive journalists for poor fit and finish. The Lexus division is better in this regard but I find the mainstream brand's product to be rather thrown together, haphazardly designed and cheap-feeling. As I mentioned, there are huge exceptions to this, but Toyota's cars are actually somewhat under-engineered for my taste.

2o6

I thought the Hilux and Taco were just badge jobs, but I am wrong.

The
Quote from: TurboDan on July 13, 2012, 08:37:25 PM
How are they the same? For starters, they're differently sized. Hilux is smaller. The Hilux also has a fully boxed frame - and springs, suspensions are completely different on the HiLux. Also, have you seen the interior of the '12 Hilux? It's head over heels better than the Taco. Hilux is also built on the IMV platform. I don't believe the Taco is.

Huh? What other cars have you driven to make you think Toyota is superior? Toyota makes perfectly fine mainstream cars but "attention to detail" isn't one of their strong suits. If you read reviews, they're universally panned by automotive journalists for poor fit and finish. The Lexus division is better in this regard but I find the mainstream brand's product to be rather thrown together, haphazardly designed and cheap-feeling. As I mentioned, there are huge exceptions to this, but Toyota's cars are actually somewhat under-engineered for my taste.

Ignore the interior. I'm talking about how their cars are put together; mechanicals. How easy they are to work on....how elegantly simple they're made. Yeah, they're a bore to drive, but they do boring so very well.

Onslaught

In the last 5 years Toyota has fallen off in interior quality if you ask me. And I can pull a front bumper cover off with just my hands on a most of their normal cars like the Camry or Corolla. Trust me, I've done it before.
I'm not saying they make crap. But they don't put out as much good stuff as they have in the past.

I still think they make good trucks and SUV's.

Eye of the Tiger

I like how Toyota thinks it's a good thing to make the gas and brake pedals hyper-sensitive on/off switches. Modulation not required.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Onslaught on July 13, 2012, 08:41:30 PM
In the last 5 years Toyota has fallen off in interior quality if you as me. And I can pull a front bumper cover off with just my hands on a most of their normal cars like the Camry or Corolla. Trust me, I've done it before.
I'm not saying they make crap. But they don't put out as much good stuff as they have in the past.

I still think they make good trucks and SUV's.

I have noticed that too. Quality of my car isn't as good as either of my brother's Corollas. And interior of my car is better than my brother's 2011 Camry (pre facelift).

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2012, 08:43:33 PM
I have noticed that too. Quality of my car isn't as good as either of my brother's Corollas. And interior of my car is better than my brother's 2011 Camry (pre facelift).

The new Camry seems to have remedied the issue somewhat. Hopefully they're on the right track. I had a Rav4 as a rental last year and it was horrifically craptacular in the interior department. More rattles than I've ever heard in any other car that wasn't a taxi.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on July 13, 2012, 08:12:17 PM

I dont think he said that...

And in any case, some OEMs don't :huh:

ifcar

Toyotaness (noun): An intangible attribute that makes owners praise the reliability of even an unreliable car.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2012, 02:58:29 PM
Read the issues I had. Most of them are wear related or are issue that are known with the car. Not uncommon with any car, and the car has always run like a champ.

Gas tank - previous owner related.

Cooling fan - blown fuse

airbag light - bad clockspring; Toyota should do something about this, but it too is a very simple fix

alternator - these things break. 80K for the stock unit is par for the course

That's about it.

Alternators don't generally burn out without cause- that may be related to your other electrical gremlins.

In fact, I've never replaced an alternator on a newer vehicle. The Civic has 160,00 miles on it, on its fourth set of brakes, second clutch, and second set of front wheel bearings and struts/shocks. Fourth set of tires too.

Same alternator.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 13, 2012, 10:03:57 PM
Alternators don't generally burn out without cause- that may be related to your other electrical gremlins.

In fact, I've never replaced an alternator on a newer vehicle. The Civic has 160,00 miles on it, on its fourth set of brakes, second clutch, and second set of front wheel bearings and struts/shocks. Fourth set of tires too.

Same alternator.

Voltage regulator died, a known issue with 2007 MY cars. When I bought the car, I knew it was bad, but it was sort of half-working (battery light would only come on sometimes) but then it finally stopped working correctly altogether.

sportyaccordy

Alternators def die, if they didnt rebuilt alternator shops wouldn't exist.

2o6

It didn't die in the manner that most alternators do (burn out and stop charging) but the voltage regulator died. There's a few guys on the Yaris forums that take it apart and fix them (there is literally just corrosion on the inside of the unit at the voltage regulator; it just needs cleaned out) but I just opted to buy one from a newer model year Yaris. (dealer part is $600, OEM won't work right).

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on July 13, 2012, 04:43:38 PM
Then again, what don't you state as "fact"?

:lol:

This is decent Internetry.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 13, 2012, 10:16:44 PM
Alternators def die, if they didnt rebuilt alternator shops wouldn't exist.

yes, but usually something causes them to fail: or they spin out the front bearing at 200,000 miles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2012, 10:19:02 PM
It didn't die in the manner that most alternators do (burn out and stop charging) but the voltage regulator died. There's a few guys on the Yaris forums that take it apart and fix them (there is literally just corrosion on the inside of the unit at the voltage regulator; it just needs cleaned out) but I just opted to buy one from a newer model year Yaris. (dealer part is $600, OEM won't work right).

Its a $600 fucking alternator?

Jesus Christ man.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 13, 2012, 10:55:13 PM
Its a $600 fucking alternator?

Jesus Christ man.

$225 OEM unit.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2012, 10:56:15 PM
$225 OEM unit.

OK, you're going to have to explain this one to me: The dealer sells a non-OEM part for three times the price? Since when do dealwers sell non-OEM parts?

Either something about your terminology is wrong, or this is one screwy setup.

2o6

I meant it's $225 for a 3rd party OEM spec part.

But it never works right. Causes the battery light to stay on.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2012, 11:01:46 PM
I meant it's $225 for a 3rd party OEM spec part.

But it never works right. Causes the battery light to stay on.

So, $225 for an alternator that they know is bad, or $600 for one that works.

OK, so remind me again why this car is so great.

TurboDan

Why would anyone buy a car with a battery light on in the first place?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: TurboDan on July 13, 2012, 11:40:04 PM
:popcorn:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

Especially if they have all the money they can want via financing?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on July 13, 2012, 11:40:04 PM

I've done so. Of course, that was on cars that cost marginally more than $600 for the whole thing, and a rebuilt alternator was $30...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 13, 2012, 08:41:57 PM
I like how Toyota thinks it's a good thing to make the gas and brake pedals hyper-sensitive on/off switches. Modulation not required.

amen bro. Whiplash every time I drive the van. I guess it feels "more powerful" to have the gas pedal go to 20% engine power with the pedal 1% down.
Will

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 14, 2012, 01:02:39 AM
I've done so. Of course, that was on cars that cost marginally more than $600 for the whole thing, and a rebuilt alternator was $30...

The unit I bought was only $75.

2o6

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on July 13, 2012, 11:50:22 PM
:popcorn:

I don't really have to justify anything to them. I can still call it a good car, and seems like the trouble areas have been addressed....so hopefully nothing else will happen.