What do with career.

Stay in current job, certain financial ruin
B.S. in meteorology, uncertain jobs opportunities
Dental assistant certificate, to hygenist degree
Real estate license
/wrists

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on July 15, 2012, 07:09:31 PM
I've never had a male dental assistant before.

Neither have I.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on July 15, 2012, 07:09:31 PM
I've never had a male dental assistant before.

Neither have I. Thus, dental school will be awesome, and it should
be easy to find a job....?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Minpin

Ups or FedEx are out. You have to spend 5-10 years as a package bitch working for 8 bucks an hour 20 hours a week before you get to drive. They don't hire drivers from the outside.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

hotrodalex

Quote from: Minpin on July 15, 2012, 07:59:27 PM
Ups or FedEx are out. You have to spend 5-10 years as a package bitch working for 8 bucks an hour 20 hours a week before you get to drive. They don't hire drivers from the outside.

Really? I've seen job listings for drivers before. Or do they just post those as a formality and then only hire current employees?

Minpin

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 15, 2012, 08:01:08 PM
Really? I've seen job listings for drivers before. Or do they just post those as a formality and then only hire current employees?

That I'm not sure about. But i had three roommates and at one time they all worked for either ups or FedEx so that's what I'm working off of here.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Minpin on July 15, 2012, 08:03:24 PM
That I'm not sure about. But i had three roommates and at one time they all worked for either ups or FedEx so that's what I'm working off of here.

Might be a regional policy. Which is still bad news for Nick, since I'm assuming your roommates worked in South Carolina, right?

Minpin

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 15, 2012, 08:06:31 PM
Might be a regional policy. Which is still bad news for Nick, since I'm assuming your roommates worked in South Carolina, right?

That is correct. I've also talked with the ups guy at work (we get 40-60 packages a day), and he says the same thing.

Rupert

Quote from: Minpin on July 15, 2012, 07:59:27 PM

I've also seen UPS driving jobs posted to the public.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 15, 2012, 07:23:08 PM
UPS or Fedex seem like good options. Local delivery truck driver or whatever.

Seems like they are always early-to-mid-30s women with boob jobs and unnaturally white teeth (obviously due to their profession).

Where is your dentist?  Heaven?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I have just applied to another job for which I am more than fully qualified, probably too qualified for, and will nearly double my current pay. Some old fuck with a PhD will probably get it, though.

Eye of the Tiger

One of these trucking companies is offering a $2500 sign-on bonus for > 6 months OTR experience. I need that, and I have that. :facepalm: FML.

Eye of the Tiger

Aaaaannddd... I just applied to one. Sounds pretty nice. FML, I'd be on the road for two-weeks at a time, again. I fucking hate that.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2012, 08:44:40 PM
Where is your dentist?  Heaven?

Pretty close. :lol:

My orthodontist was similar, though not quite as good.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on July 15, 2012, 08:34:43 PM
I've also seen UPS driving jobs posted to the public.

They may have been contract to UPS by a third company- UPS does that much more than Fed Ex does (I have relatives who work at Fed Ex)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

It won't be so bad if I can get with a trucking company that isn't some fly-bi-night polish contracting outfit. Something with real employee benefits, paid vacation, my own late model truck, regular runs... it won't be a living hell like the last one.

Minpin

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 15, 2012, 10:23:49 PM
It won't be so bad if I can get with a trucking company that isn't some fly-bi-night polish contracting outfit. Something with real employee benefits, paid vacation, my own late model truck, regular runs... it won't be a living hell like the last one.

Way better than more debt and repossessed belongings...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 15, 2012, 10:23:49 PM

Didn't I tell you that like, days ago?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on July 15, 2012, 10:28:58 PM
Way better than more debt and repossessed belongings...

I dunno, that sounds kinda fun

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 15, 2012, 10:33:06 PM

Probably, but I didn't want to hear it because I was looking forward to having a real life. Life on the road is such a waste. It's like being in prison... I would imagine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 15, 2012, 10:35:21 PM
Probably, but I didn't want to hear it because I was looking forward to having a real life. Life on the road is such a waste. It's like being in prison... I would imagine.

Trust me, I've been there: but be honest with yourself.

How much freedom are you enjoying right now?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 15, 2012, 10:33:06 PM

Didn't J.B. Hunt or some big company offer him a job that he turned down weeks ago?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 15, 2012, 11:47:41 PM
Didn't J.B. Hunt or some big company offer him a job that he turned down weeks ago?

I drove for a while. I know where he's coming from. It sucks.

but, so does working as a grease monkey for minimum wage, except it sucks a lot more.

Trucking has two major advantages:

1: A lot of people can get into it with some relatively easy training, and it pays decent money.

2: it keeps you on the road where its hard to spend money on anything besides chrome, meth, hookers and bacon based meals. If you can stay away from at least two or three of those you can build up some savings pretty easily.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

It's hard not to spend money on guns when trucking?  :nutty:
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Ever thought about becoming the next Ron Jeremy?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

SVT666

What happened to Accent?

I say go back to trucking to get you out of the trouble you are in and then see about the dental assistant thing.  If you like it, Dentists will usually help out with getting your hygienist certification.  I regret not getting into dentistry.  My dentist works 3.5 days a week and drives a BMW M5.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on July 16, 2012, 11:03:04 AM
What happened to Accent?

I say go back to trucking to get you out of the trouble you are in and then see about the dental assistant thing.  If you like it, Dentists will usually help out with getting your hygienist certification.  I regret not getting into dentistry.  My dentist works 3.5 days a week and drives a BMW M5.

Assistants don't drive M5s. But it's still a solid career.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on July 16, 2012, 11:06:21 AM
Assistants don't drive M5s. But it's still a solid career.
I was referring to my decision not to become a dentist 15 years ago.  Hygienists make pretty good money too.  They can make about 80 large working full time.