What do with career.

Stay in current job, certain financial ruin
B.S. in meteorology, uncertain jobs opportunities
Dental assistant certificate, to hygenist degree
Real estate license
/wrists

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on July 16, 2012, 11:22:00 AM
I was referring to my decision not to become a dentist 15 years ago.  Hygienists make pretty good money too.  They can make about 80 large working full time.

:wtf:  You can't just decide one day to be a dentist.  That's supposed ot be even harder to get into than med school.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on July 16, 2012, 11:48:17 AM

:wtf:  You can't just decide one day to be a dentist.  That's supposed ot be even harder to get into than med school.

The old saying is one thing dentists and doctors have in common is they all applied to med school ... I srsly doubt it's harder to get into than med school.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on July 16, 2012, 11:52:26 AM
The old saying is one thing dentists and doctors have in common is they all applied to med school ... I srsly doubt it's harder to get into than med school.

Veterinary school is definitely harder to get into than med school.  Pretty sure dentistry school is too :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT_Power

Quote from: MrH on July 16, 2012, 11:56:29 AM
Veterinary school is definitely harder to get into than med school.  Pretty sure dentistry school is too :huh:

Vet schools at least in Canada are harder to get into because there are so few of them around - in Ontario, I'm pretty sure only ONE university offers a vet program.

But I think by far, the brightest kids go to med school out of the 3 though.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 16, 2012, 11:48:17 AM
:wtf:  You can't just decide one day to be a dentist.  That's supposed ot be even harder to get into than med school.
What are you saying?  That 15 years ago when I was 20 years old, I couldn't have entered into med school and become a dentist if I wanted to?  You seem to think you know an awful lot about me and my education.

Eye of the Tiger

I think I would never be a dentist, but could surely work for one as a hygenist and take in $33/hr (national avg).
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on July 16, 2012, 12:41:56 PM
What are you saying?  That 15 years ago when I was 20 years old, I couldn't have entered into med school and become a dentist if I wanted to?  You seem to think you know an awful lot about me and my education.

EDIT:  Nevermind, the acceptance rate I found was way too low.  Doesn't seem like there's published numbers, but I've heard it's harder.  Maybe it's just as hard.  Either way, both professions aren't ones you can really look back and say, "hmmm, guess I'll be a dentist.  Seems like a lucrative career."

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

I already got a message from the trucking company that I applied to last night. They want to hire me.
It's so easy to get a trucking job. There is a reason for that, though. blarfg.

I will call and find out exactly what they have to offer.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on July 16, 2012, 06:03:20 AM
It's hard not to spend money on guns when trucking?  :nutty:

No, not guns: just shiny truck parts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 16, 2012, 04:39:15 PM
No, not guns: just shiny truck parts.

I will NOT be an owner/operator. Nope
nope

Nope.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2012, 04:41:54 PM
nope

Nope.

A buddy of mine owns his own truck and he's going broke fixing the fucking thing all the time.

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2012, 04:34:46 PM
I already got a message from the trucking company that I applied to last night. They want to hire me.
It's so easy to get a trucking job. There is a reason for that, though. blarfg.

I will call and find out exactly what they have to offer.
There is a shortage of drivers so don't be afraid to ask for more than they offer you.

Eye of the Tiger

I would like to buy guns for my truck, though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on July 16, 2012, 04:47:19 PM
There is a shortage of drivers so don't be afraid to ask for more than they offer you.

They sent me a pdf of the benefits, pay, and sign on bonus.
Quite frankly, I couldn't argue with it.

NomisR

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2012, 04:41:54 PM
nope

Nope.

You rather scrape people's teeth over banging hookers at truck stops?

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2012, 04:53:11 PM
They sent me a pdf of the benefits, pay, and sign on bonus.
Quite frankly, I couldn't argue with it.
Never hurts to ask for more.  The worst that could happen is they say no.

By the way, what happened to Accent?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on July 16, 2012, 04:56:01 PM
Never hurts to ask for more.  The worst that could happen is they say no.

By the way, what happened to Accent?

Accent is in "storage"
a.k.a. the old plate expired and I can't afford to register it
a.k.a. I ride the Harley everywhere, rain or shine

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2012, 04:59:39 PM
Accent is in "storage"
a.k.a. the old plate expired and I can't afford to register it
a.k.a. I ride the Harley everywhere, rain or shine

BADASS, MANG

Eye of the Tiger

That's not even a Sportster, dude.

Rupert

Have you heard from the drill rig job?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on July 16, 2012, 07:21:28 PM
Have you heard from the drill rig job?

Tried to call twice. Left a message. Guy is always busy.

Eye of the Tiger

I could theoretically pay off all my debts within two years if I got to truckin again.
Srsly. I just need to throw away another two years of my life. A drop in the bucket.

Minpin

Quote from: MrH on July 16, 2012, 11:56:29 AM

No clue about dentistry, but the vet school thing is definitely true. There's like 6 in the entire us and are all very selective. Because they can be.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Minpin

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2012, 08:29:17 PM
I could theoretically pay off all my debts within two years if I got to truckin again.
Srsly. I just need to throw away another two years of my life. A drop in the bucket.

You'll never do it with that attitude. Sorry man, but you need a firm boot in the ass. Living paycheck to paycheck on minimum wage is no more living than being on the road paying down debts, building some savings, and providing a cushion to pursue other interests down the line.

Rupert

If the job is less shitty than his wrenching job, living paycheck to paycheck on minimum wage can be pretty awesome, so long as you can afford rent and stuff.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Minpin

Quote from: Rupert on July 16, 2012, 11:20:42 PM
If the job is less shitty than his wrenching job, living paycheck to paycheck on minimum wage can be pretty awesome, so long as you can afford rent and stuff.

I can't speak for him, but from what he's said he couldn't pay all of his bills. This is the right move nick, best of luck.

MrH

Living paycheck to paycheck is never not shitty.

How people are comfortable with doing that is mind blowing to me.  I'd scrape, crawl, and fight to the death to get out of that situation.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

This is more like slowly dying paycheck-to-paycheck.

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 17, 2012, 06:55:30 AM
This is more like slowly dying paycheck-to-paycheck.

:lol:

mint.com  Seriously, use it.  You need to see if  you're slowly eating away at savings every month, and what's causing it.  Find out your extraneous costs, and tackle that first.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited