V8 drift invasion

Started by sportyaccordy, July 15, 2012, 01:21:00 PM

sportyaccordy

Chalk up another one for natural aspiration....

Long watch, but pretty informative. I think Formula D is stupid as hell but the demands on the motors are pretty intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=udhvbSQn1p0#!

GM LS power >>>>>

GoCougs

Turbocharging is a compromise, we all know that; no surprise there.

Also, drifting is the worst thing to happen to motorsports since the rise of NASCAR ~10 years ago (i.e., scripted feuds, manufactured personas, etc.).

sportyaccordy

Formula D is pretty bad but drifting is fun/cool.

2o6

"Drifing" is the new thing that losers in D15 Civics and DSM Eclipses like to attempt to do.

Then they do something embarrassing, like sliding into a pole.

sportyaccordy

Sorry guys, drifting is still cool, just stop watching the wrong videos.

SVT_Power

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 16, 2012, 06:01:16 AM
Sorry guys, drifting is still cool, just stop watching the wrong videos.

Nah, it's not. I'm not gonna say drifting is easy, it's probably the most demanding thing you can do with a car in terms of having absolute control over your car. But it's so bloody pointless.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 16, 2012, 11:17:09 AM
Nah, it's not. I'm not gonna say drifting is easy, it's probably the most demanding thing you can do with a car in terms of having absolute control over your car. But it's so bloody pointless.

I agree. It's only cool in very isolated instances, such as with the expose shots such as on Top Gear (and then they're doing it to be idiots).

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 16, 2012, 11:17:09 AM
Everything isn't about "winning". Drifting looks cool, and is fun. Plus like you said, its a display of how much control one has over their car. ITs not competitive, in the sense of something like F1 or whatever, but its still competitive. When I had a PS2 I spent as much time drifting as I did racing. Both were equally "pointless" but both were damn fun.

SVT666

I don't "get" drifting as a competitive sport, but for having fun and developing car control skills, it's great.

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on July 15, 2012, 09:24:26 PM
"Drifing" is the new thing that losers in D15 Civics and DSM Eclipses like to attempt to do.

Then they do something embarrassing, like sliding into a pole.

Drifting is far from new.. I was at a D1 event close to 10 years ago and its roots stretch back into rally racing and Japanese touge
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

Drifting events are boring. It's the same thing over and over again - sideways and lots of smoke. I guess you could say that about lots of other racing, but I'm just not a fan. It's fun to drift and even watch people drift on regular road courses. But when you have an event that's nothing but drifting, it's not as special or interesting.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2012, 06:03:53 PM
Drifting is far from new.. I was at a D1 event close to 10 years ago and its roots stretch back into rally racing and Japanese touge
Yea I remember watching + downloading drifting vids in college some.... 11 years ago :(

r0tor

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 16, 2012, 06:10:06 PM
Drifting events are boring. It's the same thing over and over again - sideways and lots of smoke. I guess you could say that about lots of other racing, but I'm just not a fan. It's fun to drift and even watch people drift on regular road courses. But when you have an event that's nothing but drifting, it's not as special or interesting.

The drifting is cool, but the best part of the drift events I attended was open garages and talking to the drivers and mechanics about the cars
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2012, 06:43:35 PM
The drifting is cool, but the best part of the drift events I attended was open garages and talking to the drivers and mechanics about the cars
Yep. Its a whole different scene