Should all drugs be legalized?

yes
8 (40%)
no
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 16

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on July 22, 2012, 05:12:34 AM
I'm not really convinced that legalization will put the dealers out of business.  You mention the Taliban.  They get money because they grow the drugs.  How does legalization change that?  Legal or illegal, the drugs would still have to be bought.
Done correctly, those who grow the crops - presently under the control of criminals - should be able to market their crops directly to the legal processors thereby completely bypassing the criminals who now profit from it so enormously; as well as subjugating the farmers who produce the crops.  Same goes for the distributors. 

Growing Opium Poppies is possible in many regions of the world, including North America and, if legalized can be grown much the same as tobacco crops.  As for the Coca plant, it seems to grow well only in very specific regions.  However, both of these plants are used for much more than the production of herion and cocaine.

You may or may not be right.  But I fear the effects of legalization, and nothing that pro-legalization people have said so far has allayed my fears.

We don't know all the effects of legalizing drugs but we do know that legalizing alcohol forced criminals to switch to other illegal substances for their income.  Once again, it's not the users who are of concern now.  They will continue to abuse drugs no matter where the supply comes from.  It is more a matter of taking criminals out of the equation; for a number of reasons but, imo, more so that impressionable youth are not drawn to that lifestyle.  Even dumb kids wouldn't want to emulate a broke criminal.  Ultimately, getting drug-funded crime off the streets will go a long way towards a safer environment; as well as not having suppliers lurking in dark places selling to 11 year olds. 

This is not an attack against free market enterprise.  It is an action of social protection and security by removing the power purchased by billions/trillions of dollars currently flowing into criminal enterprises.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

sportyaccordy

Quote from: dazzleman on July 22, 2012, 09:33:12 AM
You make a reasonable point.  The hard drugs worry me much more than weed.  Since I lack any chemical dependency and drugs have never done much for me, it's not that easy for me to understand.  But I see the destructiveness of some harder drugs and know that legalization will not mitigate that.
Hard drugs are def a tougher sell and I am not 100% about them. But like MC said if its all or none I am going with all.