California Proposes Tax On Driving

Started by cawimmer430, July 19, 2012, 06:34:57 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 28, 2012, 10:08:40 AM
Yeah, but over there, it's also useless to have a big engine because of all the congestion and poor overall driving conditions. Metro Manila seems like a cross between Hong Kong and Mexico City, but with shittier drivers.

What about Los Angeles or New York? Congestion galore, insane traffic jams. And yet the taxis are all Ford Crown Victorias with an inefficient V8...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on July 28, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
Do you have a special attraction for Filipino chicas?

What did you dad do there?

Most Filipina girls are hot, cute and sexy at the same time and they weren't kidding when they said they have the most beautiful smile in all of Asia. :praise:

My dad worked for San Miguel, a beer company, down there.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 29, 2012, 05:56:48 AM
What about Los Angeles or New York? Congestion galore, insane traffic jams. And yet the taxis are all Ford Crown Victorias with an inefficient V8...

They drive Crown Vics for the same reason the police do (did).  They're roomy, durable/simple, and cheap.  Probably the most similar car to the old Marathon Checker Cabs that had been the staple taxi car since the 1950s.  That said, cab companies have been shifting away from Crown Vics for years.  Hybrids like the Prius or Escape Hybrid are not uncommon (they currently make up about 1/3 of the NYC taxi fleet).  Minivans have also gained in popularity over the past 10 years or so.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 28, 2012, 08:57:02 AM
I see that "helping the environment" is still not an issue in the US. Funny how a big overweight SUV with a gas-guzzling V8 is considered an "environmentally friendly" car in your country just because it's classified as ULEV. An economical VW Jetta TDI on the other hand...oh my god those poor baby seals!!!  :facepalm:

Chris, nobody ever considered a V8 SUV as environmentally friendly as a small car – but at the same time, we're not crazed alarmists who think that simply driving an SUV is going to lead to the end of mankind. Your governments in Europe did a good job brainwashing everyone that everything you do is somehow destroying the Earth. It's a great excuse to raise taxes so they can put the money raised towards their pet projects. Frankly, after 9/11 our government did some of the same stuff with security. After the earthquake in Japan, they did the same thing there, dedicating money for that, then using it for all kinds of silly things.

Also, the vast majority of Americans have perfectly fine, affordable health insurance coverage. There is a small percentage that do not. The debate is over whether to sacrifice the excellent health insurance of the many (which is generally considered superior to Europe) and water it down so the few can be covered – and pay for the privilege of doing this. Many Americans do not support the approach Obama has taken, including myself. What that has to do with fuel taxes in Europe, I haven't a clue.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 29, 2012, 07:49:49 AM
They drive Crown Vics for the same reason the police do (did).  They're roomy, durable/simple, and cheap.  Probably the most similar car to the old Marathon Checker Cabs that had been the staple taxi car since the 1950s.  That said, cab companies have been shifting away from Crown Vics for years.  Hybrids like the Prius or Escape Hybrid are not uncommon (they currently make up about 1/3 of the NYC taxi fleet).  Minivans have also gained in popularity over the past 10 years or so.

Sure, the Crown Victoria has its merits but for taxi duty it would have made more sense to equip it with an economical engine, no matter how cheap gas is. I'm sure a 2.0-l 4-cylinder 150-hp TDI engine could move around a Taxi 'Vic while delivering better mileage. Or even a hybrid Crown Victoria.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on July 29, 2012, 09:51:02 AM
Chris, nobody ever considered a V8 SUV as environmentally friendly as a small car ? but at the same time, we're not crazed alarmists who think that simply driving an SUV is going to lead to the end of mankind. Your governments in Europe did a good job brainwashing everyone that everything you do is somehow destroying the Earth. It's a great excuse to raise taxes so they can put the money raised towards their pet projects. Frankly, after 9/11 our government did some of the same stuff with security. After the earthquake in Japan, they did the same thing there, dedicating money for that, then using it for all kinds of silly things.

The thing about big SUVs in Europe is this: most people don't consider one not only because they're inefficient but also because they feel a wagon gets the job done while being more efficient, better-handling and more practical (and available with AWD if they need it).

Again, there are plenty of people here that buy these cars and don't care about fuel costs or taxes etc. Most people remain sensible with their car purchases not only because gas is expensive but also because of personal conviction.

These arguments are going nowhere. I don't consider myself brainwashed at all. Even with cheap gas, a gas-guzzling SUV is simply not appealing to me (and many Europeans). Most of us still wouldn't buy one if gas and automotive taxes were cheap here because we don't view them as practical. The SUVs that are popular here are usually bought with economical diesel engines (I'd guess that 8/10 SUVs sold in Europe are powered by diesels) that in our minds offer good performance and fuel economy and range - so why buy a thirsty gasoline SUV when the diesel does everything better? Here we're not as sensitive to how fast our cars do 0-60 or the 1/4 mile...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 30, 2012, 05:49:42 AM
Sure, the Crown Victoria has its merits but for taxi duty it would have made more sense to equip it with an economical engine, no matter how cheap gas is. I'm sure a 2.0-l 4-cylinder 150-hp TDI engine could move around a Taxi 'Vic while delivering better mileage. Or even a hybrid Crown Victoria.  ;)

The CV's chassis/platform dates back to the 1970s.  It hadn't seen any sort of powertrain change since the early 90s when Ford replaced the old 302 pushrod V8 with the newer 4.6L OHC modular V8.  Ford had/has no small diesel engines for the US market (remember, our emissions requirements are stricter than the EU's) and has no hybrid powertrains designed for RWD cars.  And that platform is so old, it really wasn't worth investing in developing such just for that car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 30, 2012, 03:31:21 PM
The CV's chassis/platform dates back to the 1970s.  It hadn't seen any sort of powertrain change since the early 90s when Ford replaced the old 302 pushrod V8 with the newer 4.6L OHC modular V8.  Ford had/has no small diesel engines for the US market (remember, our emissions requirements are stricter than the EU's) and has no hybrid powertrains designed for RWD cars.  And that platform is so old, it really wasn't worth investing in developing such just for that car.

At least the design was awesome. Those Crown Victorias are hot. I'm sad to see them go. TV crime shows just won't be the same without them...  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 30, 2012, 05:55:06 AM
The SUVs that are popular here are usually bought with economical diesel engines (I'd guess that 8/10 SUVs sold in Europe are powered by diesels) that in our minds offer good performance and fuel economy and range - so why buy a thirsty gasoline SUV when the diesel does everything better? Here we're not as sensitive to how fast our cars do 0-60 or the 1/4 mile...

If I could've bought my LR2 with the diesel engine they offer in Europe, I would have. I personally think it's insane that we can't buy them here.

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 30, 2012, 05:10:31 PM
At least the design was awesome. Those Crown Victorias are hot. I'm sad to see them go. TV crime shows just won't be the same without them...  :cry:

The Chargers look a lot better on TV. I've seen a few of them filtering into the cop shows. Pretty sure the NCIS guys all drive them in the new episodes.

The NCIS: LA guys drive much cooler cars, though. ;)

rohan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 19, 2012, 06:34:57 PM
If this ever happens it must suck if you drive a Ford Excursion 6.8 V10 in California. Or an Escalade. Or a Navigator. Or a [insert gasoline V6/V8-powered SUV/Pickup here]! :lol:

Or any of the gas Mercedes models bigger then the C which top out at about 22mpg.  :ohyeah:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on July 31, 2012, 12:13:08 AM
If I could've bought my LR2 with the diesel engine they offer in Europe, I would have. I personally think it's insane that we can't buy them here.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that you guys don't get more engine choices in America. I think SUVs in particular should come with more engine options so there's a motor for everyone around.

Right now I am kinda drawn to the Citroen C4 Aircross SUV which is about the same size as the 1er but more spacious inside and comes with AWD, which I really need since in the winters a 1er can't go to certain places where they don't clear the snow off the road. It's available with one Mitsubishi-sourced gasoline engine (FWD only) and two diesels, 115 and 150-hp (both AWD only). The 115-hp version would be adequate for my needs, but the 150-hp version gets roughly the same mileage and has a higher top speed (198 km/h). So I am kind of drawn to the powerful diesel engine. The car is also cheap at 31, 790 Euros, 2,000 more than the 115-hp version. The only downside is the lack of an automatic transmission option, which would be nice. 6-speed M/T is currently the only transmission available.

Quote from: TurboDan on July 31, 2012, 12:14:45 AM
The Chargers look a lot better on TV. I've seen a few of them filtering into the cop shows. Pretty sure the NCIS guys all drive them in the new episodes.

Yeah, they look badass. But the Crown Vic looks more stately and has sort of become a sort of "crime TV show automotive icon" to me.

Quote from: TurboDan on July 31, 2012, 12:14:45 AMThe NCIS: LA guys drive much cooler cars, though. ;)

I never got into NCIS LA. Just didn't think the characters/actors mix that well. NCIS is much more enjoyable IMO.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: rohan on July 31, 2012, 01:02:08 AM
Or any of the gas Mercedes models bigger then the C which top out at about 22mpg.  :ohyeah:

Thankfully there are diesel Mercedes'.  :praise:

A 120-hp C180 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY in Europe is rated at 47 mpg and gives you all the real world performance the average person needs. 0-62 mph in 10.8 seconds and a 215 km/h top speed (134 mph).

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/2010/02/bilder-des-c-180-cdi-blueefficiency-mit-tfl/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on July 31, 2012, 12:14:45 AM

The NCIS: LA guys drive much cooler cars, though. ;)

I can't believe you watch NCIS.  Are you in your 80s?

I remember CSI: Miami used to drive a yellow Hummer H2.  On The Shield, they drove a bunch of cars, but never marked police cars.  Towards the end, Vic was driving a blue Charger most of the time though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

rohan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2012, 02:33:04 AM
Thankfully there are diesel Mercedes'.  :praise:

A 120-hp C180 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY in Europe is rated at 47 mpg and gives you all the real world performance the average person needs. 0-62 mph in 10.8 seconds and a 215 km/h top speed (134 mph).

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/2010/02/bilder-des-c-180-cdi-blueefficiency-mit-tfl/
That really isnt the point and you know it.  Maybe you should stop you uneducated BS lunatic ranting about V8's in USA and take a lot closer look at the absurd gas guzzlers Mercedes produces- and that's just their base v6 lineup.  Almost every car Mercedes Benz makes that uses gas gets less MPG then a 280hp GM- Dodge or Ford while getting less performance.  Then you look at their AMG packages and they are lucky to break 18 hwy.  FYI every V8 1/2 ton truck made breaks 20mpg.  So stop with you ridiculous posting about V8's and gas milage unless you start including your favorite MB.  Hell I"m sitting in a HEMI Durango that probably gets the same mpg's highway that most gas Benz's get- 21-22 highway.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27783.msg1756695#msg1756695 date=1343756382
I can't believe you watch NCIS.  Are you in your 80s?

NCIS is usually the least scientific of the CSI franchise (even though it's not really part of the CSI franchise IIRC) but what makes the show so awesome are the characters and their chemistry. They all work so well together and the show is a good mix of action and humor. Puts a smile on your face.

Some NCIS episodes dubbed in German!

"Sexual Harassment"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkMmtvkGDo

"Oh My God" (Abby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8w7jskJ_k

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: rohan on July 31, 2012, 01:47:06 PM
That really isnt the point and you know it.  Maybe you should stop you uneducated BS lunatic ranting about V8's in USA and take a lot closer look at the absurd gas guzzlers Mercedes produces- and that's just their base v6 lineup.  Almost every car Mercedes Benz makes that uses gas gets less MPG then a 280hp GM- Dodge or Ford while getting less performance.  Then you look at their AMG packages and they are lucky to break 18 hwy.  FYI every V8 1/2 ton truck made breaks 20mpg.  So stop with you ridiculous posting about V8's and gas milage unless you start including your favorite MB.  Hell I"m sitting in a HEMI Durango that probably gets the same mpg's highway that most gas Benz's get- 21-22 highway.

First off, owners are reporting higher mileages than what the EPA claims or what magazines get.

Second, US-spec MBs have traditionally received different final drive ratios in the past biased towards acceleration at the expense of fuel economy. Not sure if that is still the case.

Third, my dad drives a gasoline V6 Mercedes. An E350 CGI - 292-hp. He averages 7.2 L / 100 km which is 32.6 mpg and that's damn impressive for a heavy V6 E-Class with nearly 300-horsepower. Our old E320, also a V6 (224-hp), averaged between 7.7 L / 100 km and 8.2 L / 100 km (30.5 / 28.6 mpg). This is in mixed driving.

Fourth, maybe if people learned to drive better and more intelligently, they'd also be getting better mileage in any car.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2012, 03:54:58 PM
NCIS is usually the least scientific of the CSI franchise (even though it's not really part of the CSI franchise IIRC) but what makes the show so awesome are the characters and their chemistry. They all work so well together and the show is a good mix of action and humor. Puts a smile on your face.

Some NCIS episodes dubbed in German!

"Sexual Harassment"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkMmtvkGDo

"Oh My God" (Abby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8w7jskJ_k

It's got to be the worst popular scripted show on right now!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2012, 08:06:59 AM

I kinda like it. It took me awhile to get into NCIS but the character chemistry is just so awesome - and that helps the show a lot.

I also like watching:

The Mentalist
Criminal Minds
Bones

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27783.msg1757030#msg1757030 date=1343830019
Agreed....unless CSI Miami is still on the air.

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 01, 2012, 09:01:25 AM
I kinda like it. It took me awhile to get into NCIS but the character chemistry is just so awesome - and that helps the show a lot.

I also like watching:

The Mentalist
Criminal Minds
Bones

You have the TV watching habits of an octogenarian!  (Although The Mentalist is awesome, it can be a little too CBS at times).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27783.msg1757074#msg1757074 date=1343837094
You have the TV watching habits of an octogenarian!  (Although The Mentalist is awesome, it can be a little too CBS at times).
I like Criminal Minds.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on August 01, 2012, 09:59:17 AM
Agreed....unless CSI Miami is still on the air.

I like CSI Miami because it is funny at times, especially the way David Caruso acts and how Adam Rodriguez's character is always trying to ass kiss Emily Procter's character.  :tounge:

But the smart-ass personality of all characters on the show becomes really funny sometimes.

Eric Delko: "Horatio, we found traces of pink paint on the suspects shoe."

Horatio Caine: "Eric, wasn't there a pink paint factory that was shut down seven and half months ago in the __ district near ___ bay adjacent to __ avenue and __ street?"

Eric Delko: "Oh my god, yes, Horatio, you're completely right - as always!"

Horatio Caine: "I know, Eric, I know." *Puts sunglasses on*

^Situations like this just crack me up that these guys know everything going on in that town without having to look it up.^  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27783.msg1757074#msg1757074 date=1343837094
You have the TV watching habits of an octogenarian!  (Although The Mentalist is awesome, it can be a little too CBS at times).

The Mentalist is awesome.

And I have digital TV. I record my favorite shows and watch 'em a few days or weeks later. When the advertising comes in, I fast forward that shit. It's very efficient. Skipping the advertisements during two episodes of CSI literally saves you 45 minutes of time that could be used for more important things for example.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 01, 2012, 10:26:31 AM
I like CSI Miami because it is funny at times, especially the way David Caruso acts and how Adam Rodriguez's character is always trying to ass kiss Emily Procter's character.  :tounge:

But the smart-ass personality of all characters on the show becomes really funny sometimes.

Eric Delko: "Horatio, we found traces of pink paint on the suspects shoe."

Horatio Caine: "Eric, wasn't there a pink paint factory that was shut down seven and half months ago in the __ district near ___ bay adjacent to __ avenue and __ street?"

Eric Delko: "Oh my god, yes, Horatio, you're completely right - as always!"

Horatio Caine: "I know, Eric, I know." *Puts sunglasses on*

^Situations like this just crack me up that these guys know everything going on in that town without having to look it up.^  :lol:
It is the worst show I have ever seen.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on August 01, 2012, 10:21:59 AM
I like Criminal Minds.

I've never watched it.  It has Greg from Dharma and Greg on it, and that throws me off.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27783.msg1757143#msg1757143 date=1343849454
I've never watched it.  It has Greg from Dharma and Greg on it, and that throws me off.
He's one of the better characters in my opinion. 

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2012, 10:04:54 AM
What does "too CBS" mean?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT