Audi A4 3.2

Started by SJ_GTI, October 22, 2005, 11:40:35 PM

SJ_GTI

Just wanted to give a shout out to Audi for finally offering the A4 3.2 with 6-speed manual. I think its a shame that most of the major rags have already done their "sport sedan" test either using the A4 2.0T or 3.2 automatic.

Anyway I can't wait to see a review. It slots in nicely between the A4 2.0T 6MT and S4.  :praise:  

JYODER240

QuoteJust wanted to give a shout out to Audi for finally offering the A4 3.2 with 6-speed manual. I think its a shame that most of the major rags have already done their "sport sedan" test either using the A4 2.0T or 3.2 automatic.

Anyway I can't wait to see a review. It slots in nicely between the A4 2.0T 6MT and S4.  :praise:
What kind of numbers do you think it will be able to put up?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

saxonyron

Off the top of my head, the 3.2 puts out 255 hp and about 250 lb-ft torque with a nice flat band.  The 3.2 auto is in the low 7 sec 0-60, so I'd guess this would be knocking on 6.0 sec, and probably a little over 14 sec 1/4 mi.  Looks like my new favorite next car may have just arrived!   B)  Tight quarters compared to the A6, but there are always trade-offs.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SJ_GTI

I would guess low sixes as well. The 2.0T seems to do higher 6's or low 7's and this car has a good 25% more HP and probably only an extra ~100 lbs to carry around (assuming the difference in weight between the 2.0T auto and 2.0T manual is the same as the difference in 3.2 form.

Raza

Oh my!  With Quattro as well?  This throws a whole monkey in my plans.  

If only we had the 3 door Sportback model.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

thewizard16

QuoteI wish it was RWD.
We know.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

QuoteI wish it was RWD.
We know.
:lol:  

Raza

So when is this happening?  I've been seeing commercials for the 3.2 DSG for a year almost and it's not even on Audi's website yet.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

QuoteSo when is this happening?  I've been seeing commercials for the 3.2 DSG for a year almost and it's not even on Audi's website yet.
There is no DSG as far as I can tell, just the 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic.

I think its as of the 2006 models (now). It listed on both Audi's website and Edmunds.

giant_mtb

QuoteI wish it was RWD.
We know.
:rolleyes:  

Raghavan

QuoteI wish it was RWD.
We know.
:rolleyes:
<_<  

Raza

QuoteSo when is this happening?  I've been seeing commercials for the 3.2 DSG for a year almost and it's not even on Audi's website yet.
There is no DSG as far as I can tell, just the 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic.

I think its as of the 2006 models (now). It listed on both Audi's website and Edmunds.
You never saw those commercials for the "Stolen A3"?  A red A3 3.2 DSG Quattro with two SD card slots?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteSo when is this happening?? I've been seeing commercials for the 3.2 DSG for a year almost and it's not even on Audi's website yet.

You never saw those commercials for the "Stolen A3"?  A red A3 3.2 DSG Quattro with two SD card slots?
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the A4.

You do realize this thread is about the A4 and not the A3 right? The A4 previously was only available in automatic with the 3.1L V6, but now its available with the 6-speed manual.

As for the A3 my understanding is that it will be available in 3.2 DSG/Quattro form, but the 2.0T won' get quattro in NA yet (I am fairly certain its already available in 2.0T/Quatro in Europe).

Raza

Oh my...this whole time I thought we were talking about the A3.

In any case, it still throws a whole monkey into my plan.

This car just shot up to #1 on my list.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteOh my...this whole time I thought we were talking about the A3.

Read the title man. :rolleyes:  

Raza

QuoteOh my...this whole time I thought we were talking about the A3.

Read the title man. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it was partially a misread and partially being hopeful.  I never thought we'd get the A4 3.2 Quattro with the 6 speed.  I was convinced that ship had sailed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Raza, i thought you were more of a BMW guy.

Raza

QuoteRaza, i thought you were more of a BMW guy.
Yeah, well...I care about what's the best value I can get.  If the A4 comes as close to the BMW as people have said, than the other things that it has that the 330i doesn't (like more style, a better interior, AWD) pushes it over as a better car to own.  The 330i is still the most rational choice (that and the G35) but the A4 3.2 is now the emotional choice.  And I'm feeling emotional right now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteRaza, i thought you were more of a BMW guy.
Yeah, well...I care about what's the best value I can get.  If the A4 comes as close to the BMW as people have said, than the other things that it has that the 330i doesn't (like more style, a better interior, AWD) pushes it over as a better car to own.  The 330i is still the most rational choice (that and the G35) but the A4 3.2 is now the emotional choice.  And I'm feeling emotional right now.
I'd say the BMW has more style and has a better inteiro, AND it's RWD.

Raza

I've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.  I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.  I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
Meh. I'm going to go for a record as to never own a FWD or AWD car in my life. :praise:  

Raza

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.  I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
Meh. I'm going to go for a record as to never own a FWD or AWD car in my life. :praise:
A. You've never owned a car.

B. You don't know what you're missing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteI'd say the BMW has more style and has a better inteiro, AND it's RWD.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer RWD...but just as many people will prefer AWD. You constant mentioning of RWD is pretty annoying, and is trolling IMHO. At this point all you are doing is annoying people.

As for the style and interior, its personal preference IMHO. The old 3-series interior was good quality, but more functional than stylish. Th new 3er has enough style thrown in to make it compaable to the best. That being said I still thik the A4 interior is probably the best in this class. Exterior style is totally about personal preference. Niether has a "clear" victory. In fact pretty much any car in this class is handsome enough to make any choice about personal preference.

Personally I think the 9-3 Aero is the best looking car in this class, but the 3er and A4 are a close 2nd and 3rd (and could change places on any given day depending on my mood).

The IS looks to be a really nice entry, and is probably the best styled
"sports sedan" from Japan IMHO. I like the G35 coupe, but I am not a fan of the G35 sedan in the least.

The CTS has nice style from the outside, but its interior is dated. Like the G35 sedan and TL its also too big for my tastes.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.? I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
A. You've never owned a car.

B. You don't know what you're missing.
COUldn't agree more. Variety is the spice of life. Even though I think the E39 325i would have been a better car than my A4, I am glad I got the A4 simply because its nice to experience something a little different. I had never owned an AWD car and realy bought into the critisism that AWD had all the faults of FWD and no real benefit. Having alot of experience now with AWD I would say it really is close to RWD on the fun factor. I can't swing my tail-end out of course, but there is something gratifying about having a car that reacts better through a turn with more gas rather than less.

I also won't rule out FWD for my next car. I don't think its as fun as AWD/RWD but it does have other benefits: Including packaging and you tend to get "more car" for your money (see the Acura TL and Saab 9-3 Aero...36k will get you into either car fully loaded with Nav and a powerful engine but in an Audi/BMW you are only getting the basics of a premium car or settling for a smaller engine).

Raza

For me, this time, I have ruled out FWD.  I want something either RWD or AWD, because I want something that I can modify and have the handling prowess of a car that has power going to the rear wheels.  

But, that in no way means I wouldn't consider a FWD car again in the future.  I'd love to have something like an Acura TL, Saab 9-3 or 9-5 as a daily driver with something that I can break loose at a track as a weekend car.  I mean every time I see the TL with the 6 speed I get all squirrely and want to buy one.  

Besides, being fast with FWD isn't impossible, it just takes more effort.  I've gotten the back end of the Passat out on several occasions, sans handbrake even.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

Raza- when are you getting another car, isnt the Passat about a year old?

Raza

I'm thinking this December before I move away again.  Since I'm moving to the snow capital of PA, AWD might come in handy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

Parental assistance or do you hafta pay it on your own?  And do you get to sell the Passat and keep the change?

JYODER240

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.  I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
Thats going to a lot of fun until you get your first snowstorm.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*