Audi A4 3.2

Started by SJ_GTI, October 22, 2005, 11:40:35 PM

TBR

QuoteParental assistance or do you hafta pay it on your own?  And do you get to sell the Passat and keep the change?
1. He is 19 and is looking at $40,000+ cars, take a guess ;) (spoiled SOB... ;) :lol:). 2. No, the Passat is leased.

J86

Fuckin' A life just ain't fair!

Raghavan

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.? I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
Meh. I'm going to go for a record as to never own a FWD or AWD car in my life. :praise:
Thats going to a lot of fun until you get your first snowstorm.
California.
And please, stop with all the 'RWD is bad in snow' bullshit. :rolleyes:  <_<  

TBR

How about you stop with all of the "FWD sucks" BS? :rolleyes:

Raghavan

QuoteHow about you stop with all of the "FWD sucks" BS? :rolleyes:
It's NOT BS. There aren't ANY advantages of FWD over RWD.

ifcar

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.  I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
Meh. I'm going to go for a record as to never own a FWD or AWD car in my life. :praise:
California.
RWD is fine in snow if you know how to drive properly in it. No offense, but I would be willing to doubt that you have any such ability.  

ifcar

Of course there are. Space efficiency is a big one.  

Raza

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.  I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
California.
RWD is fine in snow if you know how to drive properly in it. No offense, but I would be willing to doubt that you have any such ability.
I'm with you.  On both accounts.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

A statement like that is why people think you're 14.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Of course there are. Space efficiency is a big one.
Space efficiency, FF has better static traction than FR, better driveline efficiency (fewer losses), better fuel economy, lower weight...

RWD is generally a better layout for a performance car, but for a commuter vehicle RWD has no advantages over FWD.

And if FWD sucks so much compared to RWD in all situations, then why did an Olds Toronado win its class at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb back in the late 60s?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

thewizard16

Rag, it's equivilant BS for you to say that FWD has no advantages as it is to say that RWD is terrible in snow. FWD is generally easier to use in snow. RWD takes a little more skill and quite a bit more experience. I'd like to see how you fare a hard winter starting out driving in a RWD vehicle. I'll bet you end up in a ditch. I'm not saying anything against you, but cut the bias crap.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

JYODER240

QuoteI've had RWD, I've had FWD, but I've never had AWD.? I'd get the drivetrain trifecta, and it wouldn't make the 944 Turbo redundant.
California.
You've obviously never drove in the snow :rolleyes:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

California.
Whats all this FWD vs RWD in snow arguing?  Go the real way, and opt for 4wd :praise:  :lol:

FWD is unquestionably better in the snow...

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

California.
Whats all this FWD vs RWD in snow arguing?  Go the real way, and opt for 4wd :praise:  :lol:

I don't agree with that, but unlike many (Rag), I've actually had RWD and FWD in bad snowy conditions.  I still prefer RWD.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

California.

I don't agree with that, but unlike many (Rag), I've actually had RWD and FWD in bad snowy conditions.  I still prefer RWD.
If they are both running similar tires, and its just a question of whether the front or rear wheels are being powered, one will be able to move around in snow with FWD better than with RWD.  I'm not talking performance oriented-for a regular commuter, FWD in the snow is much better than RWD.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Well, if there are two cars in my driveway and one is FWD and one is RWD (hypothetically a 2002 E320 and a 2004 Passat GLS) and it's snowing outside, 9 times out of 10 I'd choose the RWD car because I find it easier to drive in snow.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteWell, if there are two cars in my driveway and one is FWD and one is RWD (hypothetically a 2002 E320 and a 2004 Passat GLS) and it's snowing outside, 9 times out of 10 I'd choose the RWD car because I find it easier to drive in snow.
Youre a very strange person :D

You probably can feel like youre in control better because you want to be in control from a "sporty performance" point of view.  Yet someone driving a RWD car in the snow (regular person) will feel that its no where near as stable as FWD for regular driving conditions.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteWell, if there are two cars in my driveway and one is FWD and one is RWD (hypothetically a 2002 E320 and a 2004 Passat GLS) and it's snowing outside, 9 times out of 10 I'd choose the RWD car because I find it easier to drive in snow.
Youre a very strange person :D

You probably can feel like youre in control better because you want to be in control from a "sporty performance" point of view.  Yet someone driving a RWD car in the snow (regular person) will feel that its no where near as stable as FWD for regular driving conditions.
It turns much, much better.  Unless I was really intent on some handbrake fun, I prefer throttle steer.  But I will agree with you that RWD is less stable in snow.  That much is true.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

Do you have more experience in the snow with RWD, perhaps? Give a RWD vehicle to someone who is used to dealing with them in wintry conditions and is an above average general driver, and they'll do great, generally not needing or appreciating the FWD benefit. There's no question that people who are good with RWD can handle as well in the snow as FWD people, it's just generally easier/more predictable to use FWD.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

That may be true.  My first car was RWD, so I had two winters with that, and one with the Passat.  Though, I found it easier to deal with the E320's throttlesteer than the Passat's understeer, I can understand why an inexperienced driver would blow it with a rear drive car.  Then again, they'd also probably blow it on a dry racetrack.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

RWD is quite easy to control in snow. Much easier than FWD.

ifcar

When have you driven in the snow in either vehicle type?  

Raghavan

QuoteWhen have you driven in the snow in either vehicle type?
When i was visiting Connecticut in December. :praise: My dad's college friend is there, so we went there last December to visit him during Winter Break. ;) I drove his Corolla (RWD), and his Sentra (duh). ;)  

MX793

QuoteRWD is quite easy to control in snow. Much easier than FWD.
That right there makes it pretty evident that you have minimal experience with RWD in snow.  

RWD is known for its instability in snow.  I lived with a RWD day in and day out in a part of the country that I can guarantee is snowier than anywhere you've ever lived.  And to add to that, a couple of those 5 winters were among the snowiest the area has ever seen (the winter of 03-04 dropped over 180" on the area and was the third snowiest on record).  I can tell you from experience, when driving through real amounts snow, slush, ice, snowdrifts, etc... RWD does not like to go straight.  You're constantly correcting to keep the tail end in line as the car feels like it's almost alway slightly fishtailing.  RWDs love to turn in the snow, though.  Many would say they favor turning a little too much.  If you suddenly lift or apply throttle in a turn, they want to spin out.  So yeah, you can control yaw a bit better with a RWD, but I'm not sure I'd call them easier to control.  The first thing I noticed after driving a FWD in a snow storm was that it was much less stressful.  The car didn't feel as wishy washy.  Of course, it was a bitch to turn since I could no longer rely on my throttle controlled oversteer techniques to compensate for understeer, but that's what the E brake and left-foot braking is for.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

QuoteWhen have you driven in the snow in either vehicle type?
When i was visiting Connecticut in December. :praise: My dad's college friend is there, so we went there last December to visit him during Winter Break. ;) I drove his Corolla (RWD), and his Sentra (duh). ;)
On what I'm sure were fairly well plowed roads on a clear day.  Try taking a joyride when the snow is falling at over an inch an hour on poorly kept country backroads with snowdrifts thrown into the mix.
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

"When i was visiting Connecticut in December. huh.gif My dad's college friend is there, so we went there last December to visit him during Winter Break. wink.gif I drove his Corolla (RWD), and his Sentra (duh)."

And you think that brief and undoubtedly limited experience in an old Corolla and an old Sentra is enough for you to be able to make such an all-encompassing statement? :rolleyes:

Raghavan

Doubters. <_< Should i even explain to you guys what i want to say? It'll just get shot down again.  

Run Away

Want to know why?

Too bad, I'm telling you anyways.

1) You're a pro-RWD troll
2) You're wrong
3) You have limited automoticve knowledge and experience

Raghavan

QuoteWant to know why?

2) You're wrong
What's wrong with liking RWD?
I'm not wrong, i drove the car, it's my opinion.
I drove the cars very often, and what are you, some professional driver? :rolleyes:  

SaltyDog

QuoteWant to know why?

2) You're wrong
What's wrong with liking RWD?
I'm not wrong, i drove the car, it's my opinion.
I drove the cars very often, and what are you, some professional driver? :rolleyes:
No offense, but there are many matters where your opinion is fairly useless, seeing that it isn't based on fact or reason.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.