What do you want to see in the new S-class?

Started by BENZ BOY15, July 25, 2012, 07:58:23 PM

BENZ BOY15

So what do you think they can improve on?

Personally, I love the styling and I love the interior....but an update is always nice and they should try to shoot for Audi-level quality inside.

Atomic

The dashboard, controls and steering wheel... New, bolder wheel designs, too... A near perfect car in need of a timely update to keep fresh...Nothing too drastic, though... I love the current S-Class... I think the way Mercedes-Benz restyled the CLS was brilliant. A toned down version of this car would be as close as I can describe my thoughts of what would look worthy of the next S-Class.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Autobahn

A real smartphone / internet integration, a Cappuccino machine :), a wagon and a Diesel Hybrid

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27811.msg1754500#msg1754500 date=1343300303
Mostly hookers and blow

Same

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

I was thinking about this lately. I hope they borrow some styling from this generation S-class:

Colonel Cadillac

Atomic

Submariner

I think that looks great, but that two spoke wheel is terrible - a flashback to the shit they used to slap on every Ford from 1990 to 2003.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Atomic

^ Yeah, a very odd steering wheel design. Looks like an out Ford LTD/Country Squire wagon... Good call...

Before I saw your post, I found the same pic PLUS...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1042420_2013-mercedes-benz-s-class-spy-shots

Thoughts?

It's coming together  :popcorn:

BENZ BOY15

Is it possible to replace the steering wheel on a car like this with all the techno crap?

hotrodalex

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 26, 2012, 12:40:49 PM
Is it possible to replace the steering wheel on a car like this with all the techno crap?

Probably, if you don't want steering wheel buttons or an airbag. Getting a new wheel with all of that would be a pain to program.

cawimmer430

How come nobody has said "6-speed manual" yet?  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BENZ BOY15

Who the fuck wants that in an S class? Not me.

The only big luxury sedan that I like as much as the S is the quattroporte. It looks amazing, inside and out. But the ride is a little stiffer than you might expect and it's not that big on the inside.

But whatever...that is one great car.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Submariner on July 26, 2012, 09:22:27 AM

I think that looks great, but that two spoke wheel is terrible - a flashback to the shit they used to slap on every Ford from 1990 to 2003. 

Mercedes are trying to compete with BMW I-Drive by fitting each new S-Class with a fully functional laptop PC, it seems.

Raza

Oh, here's a serious one.  How about a gearstick that isn't that stupid fucking column mounted piece of plastic?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2012, 09:36:15 AM
Oh, here's a serious one.  How about a gearstick that isn't that stupid fucking column mounted piece of plastic?

Yeah

Lebowski

And that isn't seriously the steering wheel is it?

Submariner

Quote from: Lebowski on July 27, 2012, 09:44:14 AM

Unfortunately, I think it is. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Atomic

Quote from: Lebowski on July 27, 2012, 09:44:14 AM

I cannot imagine the AMG version having this Americanized steering wheel. However, what a lofty jump in price from a "base" Mercedes-Benz to an AMG edition.

Lebowski

Quote from: Atomic on July 27, 2012, 12:22:53 PM
I cannot imagine the AMG version having this Americanized steering wheel. However, what a lofty jump in price from a "base" Mercedes-Benz to an AMG edition.

That is a horrid steering wheel for any trim of s-class, unless it's for euro taxis or something. Looks like a crown Vic or an older f150 wheel. Barf.

The rest of the Interior is camouflaged so any chance the wheel is just part of that?

hotrodalex

They should come with one-spoke steering wheels. Those are sweet.

Atomic

Quote from: Lebowski on July 27, 2012, 04:05:48 PM
That is a horrid steering wheel for any trim of s-class, unless it's for euro taxis or something. Looks like a crown Vic or an older f150 wheel. Barf.

The rest of the Interior is camouflaged so any chance the wheel is just part of that?

I was thinking that, too, but typically it's the exterior and not the interior they camouflaged. Unless they are trying hard keeping out of prying eyes (like ours... chuckle) something revolutionary... and have put much effort in even hiding nearly impossible to capture interior shots. The wood on the dashboard looks authentic and most everything seems finished with such great detail telling me that it is nearly production ready.

Atomic

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 25, 2012, 07:58:23 PM
So what do you think they can improve on?

Personally, I love the styling and I love the interior....but an update is always nice and they should try to shoot for Audi-level quality inside.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1065135_2014-mercedes-benz-s-class-spy-video

The video above of a 2014 S-Class in test maneuvers makes me think that FMC-like steering wheel is something experimental (new safety device perhaps) or serves a vital purpose... My heart beats every time I hear the roar of that SEXY growl of an engine! WOW  :winkguy:

Gotta take a look... If you have not already!

Lebowski

Quote from: Atomic on July 27, 2012, 07:14:18 PM
I was thinking that, too, but typically it's the exterior and not the interior they camouflaged. Unless they are trying hard keeping out of prying eyes (like ours... chuckle) something revolutionary... and have put much effort in even hiding nearly impossible to capture interior shots. The wood on the dashboard looks authentic and most everything seems finished with such great detail telling me that it is nearly production ready.

Right but look at all that covering draped over the dash

Atomic

Quote from: Lebowski on July 28, 2012, 09:50:30 AM
Right but look at all that covering draped over the dash

So right. Also, looking closely at the very bottom of the steering wheel there seems to be something off... Looks like it is, was or will be holding something. I could be wrong. A mystery to be resolved soon, I think.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 27, 2012, 06:32:00 PM
They should come with one-spoke steering wheels. Those are sweet.

Nah, I think they should fit a 0-spoke wheel to the new S-class, much cooler.