GT-R: One and Done?

Started by SVT666, July 27, 2012, 10:06:44 AM

sportyaccordy

Lol this char guy, I am getting to like him

And if the GT-R goes, good riddance. Just another "lap times and magazine test #s over pretty much everything else" car w/performance you can't even begin to tap into outside of a track.

Atomic

MX793,

Awesome pics and reminder of the evolution of the Infiniti G sedan/I30. I had forgotten about the first two "quick to market" Nissan knockoffs (especially the Maxi based model). Other luxury truck and car offerings often start off that way, like the first generation Caddy Escalade (far more Chevy/GMC truck like in appearance at first and I think the first generation Ford Expedition derived Lincoln Navi, too).

I was smitten with the idea of buying an Infiniti (G20, I30) opposed to another new Nissan Maxima until I test drove each back that and felt the Maxi was a far better value, especially compared with the not-so-different and less attractive (IMO) that its Nissan counterpart. The customer service of Infiniti vs. Nissan was a consideration, but how often do you need customer service -- hopefully, only at time of purchase.

What I was absolutely insane over was the Infiniti J30. Remember that sleek offering of its day? At least I loved it. Lol  :mrcool: One cool car for a Nissan Maxima SE enthusiast thinking of moving up within the corporation.

I think I have my "letters" paired with the appropriate "numbers for those G's, I's, G's... If not, let me know...

Great thread, BTW!

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 13, 2012, 07:18:21 AM
Lol this char guy, I am getting to like him

And if the GT-R goes, good riddance. Just another "lap times and magazine test #s over pretty much everything else" car w/performance you can't even begin to tap into outside of a track.

Like every Ferrari, Lamborghini, the M3, M5, M6, all AMGs, all _35i BMWs, and many, many others. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on August 12, 2012, 10:50:08 PM
:rolleyes:

SVT666, Two models that I absolutely love are the Infiniti EX AWD and FX AWD crossover/SUV models. Some chaim the EX could benefit from more cargo space. That might be the case, but I would rather have its sleek design than having it offer more room in the "way back" at the cost of its styling for my needs. The FX is fantastic.

My neighbor had this hot burnt orange FX that he just traded in on Saturday for a 2012 silver Honda Crosstour. Why I asked? He reply, "the cost of tire..." Plus his wife "scraped the hell out of all massive and costly four wheels..." She obviously is a lousy parker. He also purchased a new vehicle for her at the same time, a MY12 Honda Pilot. He had an older Honda CR-V.

I like the X-Tour, but it is certainly no Infiniti FX. So glad I am single, and mighty happily single at that  :lol:

Char

You're welcome to like subpar products like the Sentra and Versa, but nothing the brand builds really excites me anymore.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27820.msg1763195#msg1763195 date=1344865841
Like every Ferrari, Lamborghini, the M3, M5, M6, all AMGs, all _35i BMWs, and many, many others.  
Nobody says "why would I get this, when I could get a Ferrari/Lambo that outperforms this for less $$$"
M3 and M5 give 90-95% of GT-R performance, but can actually carry 4 people and some of their stuff
Old M6 had soul, current one I kind of agree.
AMGs dont sound like vacuum cleaners, and again combine blistering performance with luxury and practicality for the same/LESS money than the GT-R.
_35i performance is a little much for the street, but nowhere near as useless as the GT-R's breadth, and in any case you don't sacrifice anything for said performance like you do with the GT-R. _35 cars are still completely practical, economical to run, and low maintenance in comparison with the GT-R.

GT-R was a good exercise but I think you can do much better for an engaging driving experience for the money. I would take a "slow" 911 Carrera over the GT-R 10 times out of 10.

SVT666

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 10:20:57 AM
You're welcome to like subpar products like the Sentra and Versa, but nothing the brand builds really excites me anymore.
No, I'm rolling my eyes at your assertion that the G is too heavy and too expensive.  You've obviously never driven one.  I own a G37xS and it is by no means too heavy or even close to being overpriced.  In fact, it's priced much better than it's German competition and is just as good in most categories, better in some, and nearly as good in others.  To me it's the better car and it cost less to boot.

Char

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 13, 2012, 10:27:54 AM
Nobody says "why would I get this, when I could get a Ferrari/Lambo that outperforms this for less $$$"
M3 and M5 give 90-95% of GT-R performance, but can actually carry 4 people and some of their stuff
Old M6 had soul, current one I kind of agree.
AMGs dont sound like vacuum cleaners, and again combine blistering performance with luxury and practicality for the same/LESS money than the GT-R.
_35i performance is a little much for the street, but nowhere near as useless as the GT-R's breadth, and in any case you don't sacrifice anything for said performance like you do with the GT-R. _35 cars are still completely practical, economical to run, and low maintenance in comparison with the GT-R.

GT-R was a good exercise but I think you can do much better for an engaging driving experience for the money. I would take a "slow" 911 Carrera over the GT-R 10 times out of 10.

Lol, no M3 or M5 is giving you 90% of the GTR's performance. That said, I am a big BMW fan, but I'm an even bigger GT-R fan. There is no comparison.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

Quote from: SVT666 on August 13, 2012, 10:46:13 AM
No, I'm rolling my eyes at your assertion that the G is too heavy and too expensive.  You've obviously never driven one.  I own a G37xS and it is by no means too heavy or even close to being overpriced.  In fact, it's priced much better than it's German competition and is just as good in most categories, better in some, and nearly as good in others.  To me it's the better car and it cost less to boot.
And that's your opinion and you're welcome to have it. I feel that the G37s at 3700lb is too heavy, so heavy that it's barely any quicker than the previous G35 coupe with a 30hp advantage. And yes I drove one, and yes it's nice. It may be the right choice for you, but obviously not everyone.

MrH

Quote from: Char on August 12, 2012, 06:03:35 PM
Besides the GT-R, Nissan hasn't built anything I wanted for years, including the G and the Z. Too heavy and too expensive relative to other cars that offer better performance.

I agree with him.  Not sure why you're rolling your eyes :huh:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on August 13, 2012, 11:03:29 AM
I agree with him.  Not sure why you're rolling your eyes :huh:

Obviously I'm rolling my eyes because I disagree with him.  I disagree with him enough that I spoke with my pocketbook and bought a G37.

MrH

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 10:46:36 AM
Lol, no M3 or M5 is giving you 90% of the GTR's performance. That said, I am a big BMW fan, but I'm an even bigger GT-R fan. There is no comparison.
Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 10:51:59 AM
And that's your opinion and you're welcome to have it. I feel that the G37s at 3700lb is too heavy, so heavy that it's barely any quicker than the previous G35 coupe with a 30hp advantage. And yes I drove one, and yes it's nice. It may be the right choice for you, but obviously not everyone.

+juan
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Eh, all Japanese cars suck (except some Subarus and Hondas), but Nissans do seem to suck the hardest. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on August 13, 2012, 11:33:14 AM
Eh, all Japanese cars suck (except some Subarus and Hondas), but Nissans do seem to suck the hardest. 

Quote from: Raza  on July 06, 2012, 01:41:48 PM
A 2006 Grand Touring 350ZR would be pretty sweet.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 13, 2012, 11:40:57 AM

And did I buy the 350ZR?  No, I drove it and realized the best Japanese car in the last 10 years actually sucked.  Great on paper, terrible on road. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Char

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27820.msg1763371#msg1763371 date=1344883422
And did I buy the 350ZR?  No, I drove it and realized the best Japanese car in the last 10 years actually sucked.  Great on paper, terrible on road. 

What?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 10:46:36 AM
:hesaid: 
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: Char on August 12, 2012, 06:03:35 PM
Besides the GT-R, Nissan hasn't built anything I wanted for years, including the G and the Z. Too heavy and too expensive relative to other cars that offer better performance.

I'm not interested in much of what Nissan builds either. The only cars are the GT-R, the G sedan, maybe the Z. I don't agree on the G sedan; it's second in the class in overall performance (and barely so) only to the 335i (but with much better reliability); it's also the cheapest (esp. against the competition's performance models/packages - 335i, TL-SH AWD, IS350). True it's really only a Nissan (first developed and sold as the SkylineXXXGT in Japan) but it's the best car Nissan builds and an overall fantastic car. (I'm biased of course, having bought a G37x sedan in March after an exhaustive search.)

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on August 13, 2012, 10:46:13 AM

The G37x is heavy though, weighing in at 3,850 lbs. IIRC, heaviest in class by 100 lbs. The G37 sedan ain't too bad though, and class average, at 3,625. However, in context, the whole "too heavy" battle cry is abjectly rejectible simply owing to the absence of a yet-to-be-seen cogent premise.

Lebowski

I'd make exception for the G but yeah no Nissan products but that and the GT-R interests me. And I wouldn't buy a GT-R, even though I find it interesting.

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on August 13, 2012, 01:53:45 PM
I'd make exception for the G but yeah no Nissan products but that and the GT-R interests me. And I wouldn't buy a GT-R, even though I find it interesting.
The G is the only Nissan product I'm even remotely interested in, and I love it so much I bought it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27820.msg1763371#msg1763371 date=1344883422
And did I buy the 350ZR?  No, I drove it and realized the best Japanese car in the last 10 years actually sucked.  Great on paper, terrible on road.  
So now the Z is a better car than the S2K? RX-8? STi? EVO? GT-R? LF-A? Lol.

Raza

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 01:09:49 PM
What?

About a month ago I had convinced myself that I was going to buy a Nissan 350Z roadster.  Then I drove it and realized it was actually quite poor to drive, due to unnecessarily high effort steering with little feel, a terrible clutch and poor shifter, and an extremely light, touchy, and oversensitive throttle.  And a distinct lack of excitement.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 13, 2012, 02:16:00 PM
So now the Z is a better car than the S2K? RX-8? STi? EVO? GT-R? LF-A? Lol.

So I see my plan to rile you up worked.

I'd have to drive all of them.  I recall the RX-8 being pretty good and the Evo being very good, but the STi was kind of dull in normal driving.  And two seconds ago you were talking about cars that were so fast you can never use them and good riddance if they go away, and then you mention the GT-R and LFA and Evo and STi, all of which are way too fast for normal roads.

I should amend my statement, though.  In general, Japanese cars suck, with a few exceptions. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Char

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27820.msg1763417#msg1763417 date=1344889879
So I see my plan to rile you up worked.

I'd have to drive all of them.  I recall the RX-8 being pretty good and the Evo being very good, but the STi was kind of dull in normal driving.  And two seconds ago you were talking about cars that were so fast you can never use them and good riddance if they go away, and then you mention the GT-R and LFA and Evo and STi, all of which are way too fast for normal roads.

I should amend my statement, though.  In general, Japanese cars suck, with a few exceptions. 

You won't win me over with that type of talk. I abhor VW, but even I believe they have their place.

Raza

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 02:43:55 PM
You won't win me over with that type of talk. I abhor VW, but even I believe they have their place.

Who said I was trying to win you over?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on August 13, 2012, 07:50:41 AM

I'm not really interested in those cars either.

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT666 on August 13, 2012, 01:56:52 PM

The G is the only Nissan product I'm even remotely interested in, and I love it so much I bought it.

If I were shopping in that category, I would seriously consider the G. Would be a tough choice between that and the 3er. But the G is literally the only Nissan product I can say that about. Even the GT-R, I like it but wouldn't buy it over the alternatives even though it's awesome on paper.

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on August 13, 2012, 04:26:58 PM
If I were shopping in that category, I would seriously consider the G. Would be a tough choice between that and the 3er. But the G is literally the only Nissan product I can say that about. Even the GT-R, I like it but wouldn't buy it over the alternatives even though it's awesome on paper.
I agree.  In the GT-R price range I would honestly get an Audi R8.