Do you avoid gas stations that charge higher prices to use cards?

Started by TurboDan, August 01, 2012, 05:25:24 PM

TurboDan

I do. I make it a point never to patronize any gas station that charges extra to use a card.

The worst part is that they justify their price gouging by saying it's due to the credit card companies charging transaction fees, but do we know what these fees are? I've seen some stations charge only a few cents more per gallon, and other charge up to 20 cents more per gallon. Which is it? Also, I never use credit cards to purchase gas anyway, I use my debit card which does not carry nearly the transaction fees credit cards do. Yet debit users are charged the same amount as credit users.

Personally, I think these gas stations need to be investigated and this practice has to be stopped. For now, I vote with my wallet and refuse to fill up anywhere that has these surcharges. Here in South Jersey, Wawa has now started a huge ad campaign advertising their prices are the same.

SVT666

Atomic

I have stumbled upon this once or twice, but fortunately do not see it often. If so, I would definitely try to avoid these stations. I rarely carry cash, but this could change with such tactics. I am planning a road trip and will keep my eyes open, especially on the NYS Thruway. BTW, are the businesses at rest stops maintained by the state (at least here in NY) governed by the state in any particular way that might differ from gas stations located elsewhere. Seems like this would be illegal  :huh:.

TurboDan

Quote from: Atomic on August 01, 2012, 05:34:23 PM
I have stumbled upon this once or twice, but fortunately do not see it often.

In New Jersey, the majority of gas stations (probably 75%) now do this.

QuoteI am planning a road trip and will keep my eyes open, especially on the NYS Thruway. BTW, are the businesses at rest stops maintained by the state (at least here in NY) governed by the state in any particular way that might differ from gas stations located elsewhere. Seems like this would be illegal  :huh:.

I know in New Jersey, the gas stations at the highway rest stops are only allowed to change their prices once a week. It's legal because it's part of the contract the state and company agreed on. New Jersey just switched its contract to Sunoco from Lukoil.

MrH

It just started around here.  Now I get a $1 charge every time I fill up. :facepalm:  Just started last month, and every one I go to now does it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Atomic

Quote from: MrH on August 01, 2012, 06:23:03 PM
It just started around here.  Now I get a $1 charge every time I fill up. :facepalm:  Just started last month, and every one I go to now does it.

Shocked those scam artists have not yet advertised a sale when using cash... Spinning it  :nono:

93JC

Quote from: SVT666 on August 01, 2012, 05:26:22 PM
No gas station does that around here.

:hesaid:

The only places around here that add surcharges for using a card are little mom-and-pop convenience stores.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TurboDan on August 01, 2012, 05:25:24 PM
The worst part is that they justify their price gouging by saying it's due to the credit card companies charging transaction fees, but do we know what these fees are? I've seen some stations charge only a few cents more per gallon, and other charge up to 20 cents more per gallon. Which is it? Also, I never use credit cards to purchase gas anyway, I use my debit card which does not carry nearly the transaction fees credit cards do. Yet debit users are charged the same amount as credit users.

"If we assume a Discount Rate for a Merchant of 2.05% + $0.15 Transaction Fee, then for a $100 Visa charge the amount the Merchant would pay their Merchant Services Provider will be $2.20. "

"Typically, a Merchant pays a third-party routing fee to connect to American Express or Discover. This fee can be as high as $.25 per authorization. "
http://www.shift4.com/fees_rates.cfm

Debit and Credit cards which say Mastercard or Visa are charged the same ...
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/04/18/in-fight-over-debit-card-wipe-fees-banks-still-trying-to-blame-merchants/

Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW wasn't aware of this, and it will only get worse.

I know for a long time Visa forbid merchants from charging fees to customers for charging or Visa wouldn't do business with them. Wonder what changed recently??
Will

dazzleman

I just go to the gas station closest to my house.  I think they charge extra to use a credit card, but I'm not sure how much.  I don't pay much attention to be honest.  I only fill up once every 2-3 weeks.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

I can't remember the last time I saw that. 

Wait....I think I passed one that had a cash "discount".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Noticed on my roadtrip the truckstops had seemingly changing prices for diesel. It was like $3.77 cash and $3.83 credit at one...
Will

Payman

I go to the Indian reserve every 2 weeks to load up on smokes and $.10/litre cheaper gas.

Byteme

Quote from: TurboDan on August 01, 2012, 05:25:24 PM
I do. I make it a point never to patronize any gas station that charges extra to use a card.

Personally, I think these gas stations need to be investigated and this practice has to be stopped. For now, I vote with my wallet and refuse to fill up anywhere that has these surcharges. Here in South Jersey, Wawa has now started a huge ad campaign advertising their prices are the same.

I've never seen that.  I always pay at the pump and the price is the same regardless of the method of payment I choose.  I always pay with the same credit card since I get a 10% rebate on the first $200 of gas purchases each month.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on August 01, 2012, 08:56:28 PM
I go to the Indian reserve every 2 weeks to load up on smokes and $.10/litre cheaper gas.

The last time I bought gas on a reservation it was about 15% higher than on private land.

giant_mtb

There's like one gas station in this area that, instead of charging extra for using a card, they'll give you 3 cents off per gallon if you pay with cash.  Their regular price is the same as everywhere else, so you don't end up paying more if you use a card, but you CAN pay less if you've got cash.

Cookie Monster

I don't mind if they charge a flat $.15-.20 fee, but if it's per gallon I usually get cash or go elsewhere.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

I kind of wish credit card companies would just charge a monthly fee for their services instead of passing it onto retailers or (worse yet) fucking poor people up the ass with ridiculous interest rates and fees.

Speed_Racer

I haven't found a gas station in Vegas that doesn't have a separate per gal price for debit & cash vs. credit. Frustrating.

nickdrinkwater

Can't remember the last time I paid cash for fuel.  If you consider how much a tank costs here, it's not the kind of money you tend to carry around day-to-day.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 01, 2012, 09:20:32 PM
I kind of wish credit card companies would just charge a monthly fee for their services instead of passing it onto retailers or (worse yet) fucking poor people up the ass with ridiculous interest rates and fees.

There's a reason why they're poor...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 02, 2012, 02:45:05 AM
Can't remember the last time I paid cash for fuel.  If you consider how much a tank costs here, it's not the kind of money you tend to carry around day-to-day.

I use debit. Exact same cost as cash.

TBR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 01, 2012, 07:06:44 PM
"If we assume a Discount Rate for a Merchant of 2.05% + $0.15 Transaction Fee, then for a $100 Visa charge the amount the Merchant would pay their Merchant Services Provider will be $2.20. "

"Typically, a Merchant pays a third-party routing fee to connect to American Express or Discover. This fee can be as high as $.25 per authorization. "
http://www.shift4.com/fees_rates.cfm

Debit and Credit cards which say Mastercard or Visa are charged the same ...
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/04/18/in-fight-over-debit-card-wipe-fees-banks-still-trying-to-blame-merchants/

It should depend on whether the debit card is run as a debit card (PIN required) or as a credit card (no PIN required). I have certainly heard that running it as a debit card is significantly cheaper for the retailer.

I have never run across a non-truck stop that charged more for using a credit card.

Atomic

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 02, 2012, 02:45:05 AM

So true and then to have to walk in the store, stand in line with people buying hundreds worth of lottery tickets -- never fails having one in front of me, then estimate how much gas you need and pay in advance, sometimes needing to get money back.

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on August 01, 2012, 08:56:28 PM

There's a place by my office that give 20 cents off per gallon on premium on Tuesdays.  Works for me, I take premium.  Holla.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

I didn't even know they did that. So I'd have to say no to the question.

Lebowski

I don't know of any fillin' stations around here that charge a different price for cards.

AutobahnSHO

Seems to be a "take advantage of people who are uneducated in ways of the world" regional thing..
Will

ifcar

I'm seeing an increasing number of those. I normally avoid the stations on principle even if their credit price is competitive.

Soup DeVille

How do you know they're charging extra for the card?

They are more likely giving a discount for cash.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator