Is this a joke?

Started by ifcar, October 24, 2005, 03:37:37 PM

TBR

No, I haven't. But you don't get to shift through the gates or work the clutch, I fail to see how a SMG transmission is even close to a regular manual (ignoring speed of shifts of course).

Raza

I come down on the side of "SMG is not a real manual" simply because of the computer involvement.  I'd rather have one than an automatic, but not more than a standard three pedal manual, unless I'm in traffic jams everyday.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Yoshi

For those concerned about it tipping -- something like 85% of it's mass is literally in the floor -- it's batteries.

It has a very low center of gravity and is quite manuverable.  

ifcar

The site claims that it would get a 5-star rollover-resistance rating from NHTSA, so that seems accurate.  

Raghavan

QuoteIt's a "Sequentronic" transmission- sequential manual.
NO clutch pedal = not a manual to me.
I actually agree with you there, SMG transmissions are no closer to manuals than manumatics are imho.
Have you driven an SMG transmission car before?

It is not the same as an automatic. There are alot more differences between an automatic and a manual than just the 3rd pedal. The biggest one for me is simple throttle response.
All you have to do is pull those wierd paddles on the back of the steering wheel. There's not much involvement in manuals. No shifting through the gates, no playing with the gas and clutch, and it's a TON more fun than an auto.

Submariner

QuoteFor those concerned about it tipping -- something like 85% of it's mass is literally in the floor -- it's batteries.

So does the Mercedes 463.  It is a very low center of gravity, and a much wider track.  But I would never, ever try and manuver it around a track.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteFor those concerned about it tipping -- something like 85% of it's mass is literally in the floor -- it's batteries.

So does the Mercedes 463.  It is a very low center of gravity, and a much wider track.  But I would never, ever try and manuver it around a track.
Yeah, i'd feel scared about driving this thing around a track.

SargeMonkey

QuoteThose acceleration numbers seem quite far-fetched...it weighs 3,000 pounds and is run on electricity, yet can attain a 0-60 time of 4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12 at 120 MPH...they can't be serious.
Thats a heavy little car, 10-1 odds my 81 civic is safer. And it goes 0-60 in about 5 seconds, unlike our camry, I floored it an didn't noitce. I've seen those on TV slow ugly, VERY small, and it does cost money to charge it, don't forget that. The civic, both, weigh in aat about 1100 pounds, but they have a 700 pound load capacity... Odd. The civic go 80, well the speedo do.  :D  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

CaseyNPham

I really thought the picture was squashed.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little