Car Shopping: What should thewizard drive?

Started by thewizard16, August 09, 2012, 08:23:25 PM

68_427

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 15, 2012, 11:47:35 AM
$4,500, 141,000 miles "very clean". It's an ad in the Little Rock paper, keep in mind I've seen none of these cars in person so some of them may be immediately eliminated on inspection. My concerns with the BMW would be miles and maintenance. I have little faith that a BMW 5 series is as reliable at 141,000 miles as the Camry was, for instance, and I know that reliability deficit could cost me big time, I just don't know what fails on those cars around that age/mileage.

Maintenance won't be near what a new Bimmer is.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

thewizard16

Quote from: 68_427 on August 15, 2012, 12:31:29 PM
Maintenance won't be near what a new Bimmer is.
I'm not shopping for a new Bimmer though, I'm shopping for an old, relatively inexpensive car that I don't want to spend as much fixing in a couple years as I spent buying.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on August 15, 2012, 12:00:39 PM
After seeing Wookie's troubles with his Saab, I'd stay the hell away from that car.

The 9-5 has the older 2.3 engine, which was pretty solid, as I recall.  It did have overheating issues in the Viggen, but that was due to improper cooling in the smaller engine bay of the 9-3.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 15, 2012, 01:00:07 PM
I'm not shopping for a new Bimmer though, I'm shopping for an old, relatively inexpensive car that I don't want to spend as much fixing in a couple years as I spent buying.

I don't think the Saab or the Jettas would be the best ideas, then.

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on August 15, 2012, 01:37:48 PM
I don't think the Saab or the Jettas would be the best ideas, then.
The Saab, Volkswagens, and BMWs (and maybe the Audi) are probably the riskiest propositions, but the Hondas/Acuras I'm looking at have transmission issues too... If I were smart I'd probably avoid all of them but I'm not sure I'll do that yet, it'll really depend on which car I like best overall and am comfortable rolling the dice on. 
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

2o6

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 15, 2012, 04:47:50 PM
The Saab, Volkswagens, and BMWs (and maybe the Audi) are probably the riskiest propositions, but the Hondas/Acuras I'm looking at have transmission issues too... If I were smart I'd probably avoid all of them but I'm not sure I'll do that yet, it'll really depend on which car I like best overall and am comfortable rolling the dice on. 

Those VW's have the potential to be totally unreliable.

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on August 15, 2012, 05:07:10 PM
Those VW's have the potential to be totally unreliable.
:lol: Technically any car has the potentially to be totally unreliable, the risks are just higher than average with the vehicles I listed above. Maybe a lot higher than average, I guess.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

SVT32V

How about an X-type jag? Its ford duratech v6 should be reliable, more reliable than a V6 honda/acura auto tranny.

Lincoln continental with the 32V V8.

Lincoln LS

You might even find a ford 500 below your price limit.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 15, 2012, 11:50:57 AM
If you're looking at a 5 series of that age, I'd go with a 6 cylinder.  I think they're more reliable, but I don't know that much about BMWs of the mid 90s.

Definitely. Go for the 6 cylinder. It is much better in reliability. Also, manual to minimize tranny issues.

An E46 manual 325i/330i would probably be the best bet for an old reasonably reliable BMW.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 15, 2012, 05:20:18 PM
:lol: Technically any car has the potentially to be totally unreliable, the risks are just higher than average with the vehicles I listed above. Maybe a lot higher than average, I guess.

I urge you not to do it....statistically MKIV's are one of the worst VW's you can buy. All models, all engines, all transmissions have issues, and they all have dodgy electrics.

thewizard16

Quote from: SVT32V on August 15, 2012, 06:37:28 PM
How about an X-type jag? Its ford duratech v6 should be reliable, more reliable than a V6 honda/acura auto tranny.
Haven't seen any in the price range, but have friends that have had them with poor reliability. Mostly I just don't like the way it looks, but a good suggestion and I appreciate it.

Lincoln continental with the 32V V8.
Don't like the interior, too geriatric even with the existing geriatric-ish cars on this list.

Lincoln LS
I really like how these look and was considering them since there are a bunch and they're cheap, but on previous pages I was warned against them due to the Jaguar guts under its skin, and that was verified by some online searching.

You might even find a ford 500 below your price limit.
I don't know if I'd consider something that big or not, but I'll keep an eye out. I hadn't searched for any 500s yet, I was just seeing if any Fusions had fallen into my range yet. (They haven't.) Don't love the styling but it's not a bad car by any means.

After more searching, reliability comparisons, price considerations, condition of vehicles available, etc the top options right now are: Lexus ES, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I. I am still planning on looking at the Saab on Friday, but it looks like those are the three I should probably focus in on if possible.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

2o6

You sure about the Fusion/Milan not being that cheap? I was practically tripping over them when I was shopping six months ago.

MexicoCityM3

Out of your front runners I like the Maxima. The older the better.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 15, 2012, 08:09:29 PM
I urge you not to do it....statistically MKIV's are one of the worst VW's you can buy. All models, all engines, all transmissions have issues, and they all have dodgy electrics.

I think the manuals are fine.

But as a Volkswagen fan and enthusiast, I must say that I would absolutely avoid a MkIV car.  Yes, if you get a good one, you're golden, but if you get a bad one, you're broke. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27890.msg1764869#msg1764869 date=1345084691
I think the manuals are fine.

But as a Volkswagen fan and enthusiast, I must say that I would absolutely avoid a MkIV car.  Yes, if you get a good one, you're golden, but if you get a bad one, you're broke. 

AFAIK, the manuals like dropping cars, especially reverse

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 15, 2012, 08:39:14 PM
AFAIK, the manuals like dropping cars, especially reverse

Cars?  From what?   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27890.msg1764874#msg1764874 date=1345084795
Cars?  From what?   :lol:

From the roof, duh.

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on August 15, 2012, 08:29:43 PM
You sure about the Fusion/Milan not being that cheap? I was practically tripping over them when I was shopping six months ago.
They aren't here. There's only one listed, a 4cyl SE w/ cloth and 140,000 miles anywhere near here right now in my price range. :huh:

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 15, 2012, 08:33:57 PM
Out of your front runners I like the Maxima. The older the better.
I think the Infiniti I is basically a fancied up Maxima, isn't it? I was kindof hoping it was close to the Maxima is mechanical qualities with just a bit nicer interior, but I've never been in one. The ES rose on the radar after I realized how low mileage/nice of one I might be able to get if I shop a little farther away from Little Rock. (Same for the Maxima, both are hard to find here for a reasonable price.) There are a few other good options of course, but those three seem to be a bit easier to find now in the closest large markets in good shape for a good price.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raza

I may be remembering this wrongly, but I believe the I30/I35 also has a slightly extended wheelbase compared to the Maxima.  Frankly, I'd rather have the Maxima.  It's the real thing, not some tarted up whorish version meant to sell to the unwitting. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

What about a 1980s Mercedes 300SD Turbodiesel W126 S-Class?

Comfortable, spacious, reliable, RWD (RWD can impress the ladies because it sounds so cool), easy to fix, abundant and cheap spare parts and HISTORY & HERITAGE. You'll have a 0-60 time of about 14 seconds, which isn't bad for such an old and large car but they also returned pretty impressive fuel economy. This looks like the PERFECT car for you - or another old diesel/turbodiesel MB from the '70s and '80s.

We had a 1985 300SE and it never gave us any problems except for a loose generator screw that cause the generator to make some clang noises in the engine bay - pull into a nearby MB dealership, have them screw it back into place and the problem was solved. Didn't cost anything.

Oldschool, man, oldschool!  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

The last time I drove behind an 80s Merc diesel, it was belching so much smoke and soot from the exhaust that it caused my check engine light to turn on.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on August 16, 2012, 07:19:34 AM
The last time I drove behind an 80s Merc diesel, it was belching so much smoke and soot from the exhaust that it caused my check engine light to turn on.

Looks like an improperly maintained machine.

There are many diesel W115 and W123 as well as W124s still driving around here and the only time they emit black smoke (from what I can see) is when they're being gunned. During normal driving and cruising there's nothing visible coming out the pipes.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

0-60 in 14 seconds?  He'd arrive quicker on a bicycle. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 16, 2012, 07:12:40 AM
What about a 1980s Mercedes 300SD Turbodiesel W126 S-Class?

Comfortable, spacious, reliable, RWD (RWD can impress the ladies because it sounds so cool), easy to fix, abundant and cheap spare parts and HISTORY & HERITAGE. You'll have a 0-60 time of about 14 seconds, which isn't bad for such an old and large car but they also returned pretty impressive fuel economy. This looks like the PERFECT car for you - or another old diesel/turbodiesel MB from the '70s and '80s.

We had a 1985 300SE and it never gave us any problems except for a loose generator screw that cause the generator to make some clang noises in the engine bay - pull into a nearby MB dealership, have them screw it back into place and the problem was solved. Didn't cost anything.

Oldschool, man, oldschool!  :praise:
It's a stately looking car for sure, but it's a terrible fit for me. Very old interiors like that have generally taken some beating or are very low tech, which doesn't appeal to me and I'd spend a boatload adding the things I wanted anyway (AKA, bastardizing the car). I also don't care for the sound of the old turbodiesels much, and reliability is a concern regardless of how affordable they may be to repair now. Having just come out of a minor wreck, I also prefer the more modern safety technologies on my next car if possible. I'd also prefer something that doesn't take almost twice as long as my last car to get up to 60... most of my driving in-town is on the interstate and those on-ramps aren't very long. I don't want to have to hope for an opening or force my way in because my car can't get up to speed. So while I appreciate the suggestion (and respect the stateliness of the car), it's not a wizard kind of car.  :lol:

Quote from: Raza  on August 16, 2012, 03:53:58 AM
I may be remembering this wrongly, but I believe the I30/I35 also has a slightly extended wheelbase compared to the Maxima.  Frankly, I'd rather have the Maxima.  It's the real thing, not some tarted up whorish version meant to sell to the unwitting. 
I haven't driven both back to back yet so I'm not really leaning one way or the other yet if I were to buy one of those two. I like the looks of the Maxima better, but I'm big on comfort and interiors so the Infiniti should have the upper hand there. The Maxima should be a pretty nice car though, so if it's not a big difference between interior quality and comfort on these three vehicles, the Maxima is my emotional favorite at this point. I'm doing some local shopping this weekend and if I don't find anything acceptable, I think I'll be taking a quick trip or a flight to Dallas in the next week or two to buy something.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

cawimmer430

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 16, 2012, 05:45:32 PM
It's a stately looking car for sure, but it's a terrible fit for me. Very old interiors like that have generally taken some beating or are very low tech, which doesn't appeal to me and I'd spend a boatload adding the things I wanted anyway (AKA, bastardizing the car). I also don't care for the sound of the old turbodiesels much, and reliability is a concern regardless of how affordable they may be to repair now. Having just come out of a minor wreck, I also prefer the more modern safety technologies on my next car if possible. I'd also prefer something that doesn't take almost twice as long as my last car to get up to 60... most of my driving in-town is on the interstate and those on-ramps aren't very long. I don't want to have to hope for an opening or force my way in because my car can't get up to speed. So while I appreciate the suggestion (and respect the stateliness of the car), it's not a wizard kind of car.  :lol:

Well if you don't care about fuel costs you can always get a 560SEL.  :lol:

:cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT32V

If you are thinking maxima, couldn't you get a newer altima for the same price or cheaper. They share the same platform. The cars you are thinking about are more pricey and older since you are looking at more premium cars.

With all due respect, if I was limited to $7K I would try to buy the newest and lowest mileage reasonable car/suv and wait until my finances improve before looking more upscale, just sayin'.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

how about a good combination of both, relatively new, relatively low miles.

2o6

I've heard those Altimas aren't all that reliable. My friend has one, and hers has a gaggle of problems.

thewizard16

Quote from: SVT32V on August 16, 2012, 08:52:29 PM
If you are thinking maxima, couldn't you get a newer altima for the same price or cheaper. They share the same platform. The cars you are thinking about are more pricey and older since you are looking at more premium cars.

With all due respect, if I was limited to $7K I would try to buy the newest and lowest mileage reasonable car/suv and wait until my finances improve before looking more upscale, just sayin'.
First answer is no, not really. The Altimas aren't as optioned out and are only a year or two newer than the Maximas for the same basic price. I don't care if I can get an 03 Altima with cloth seats and a 4 cylinder for the same price as an 01 Maxima with leather and a V6, the two years in age means very little to me considering how much nicer the Maximas are than those Altimas. It may help to keep in mind my car was 20 years old at the time of its demise if you're trying to figure out where I'm coming from.

As to the newest/lowest mileage... I understand why people do that, but I have very little interest in that. I'd rather have a nice car that I am comfortable driving every day and take the risk of having to pay for the occasional repair because it's older/higher mileage than have something I hate (I could buy a pretty new economy car if I wanted to do that) that's newer and not as nice. I poured more money into maintenance on the old Camry than most people would have for that reason. It's a matter of priorities. Comfort/features trumps overall reliability for me by a little bit, and based off experience the repair bills won't be a real problem as long as I buy a vehicle that's reliable and keep all the metal bits in good shape. For some people on here, driving dynamics alone trump comfort or reliability and they may pay the price for that, but they're happy with their choice because that's what is important to them. My top priorities may be different, but the idea is the same. My finances are very predictable for the next several years and I'm not too concerned with the occasional repair or decent sized maintenance job. They happen, maybe a bit more often with a slightly older car than a newer cheaper car, but if I buy something pretty reliable odds are still good it won't be a huge issue. I could also spend more on a car now and deplete my savings, but I'm choosing not to do that. Unfortunately for me, the need to buy a car was an unexpected occurrence or the budget could have been a little more robust since I could have saved towards a car and possibly cut back a bit on travel. At any rate, I'm not concerned about the more pricey/older/higher mileage if the comfort and quality trade off is worth it.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport