U.S. has fewer cars per person than Europe, but still uses twice as much energy

Started by cawimmer430, August 16, 2012, 05:44:49 PM

NomisR

Wimmer is just not understanding the difference ocean currents can have an effect on the weather.  On the east coasts, either in the US or Asia, the summers are HOT and HUMID.  With high temp and humidity, you can be sitting in the shade and still be sweating. 

Hell, Wimmer, you used to be in the Philippines, you should know what crappy weather that is. 

But on the other hand, in areas with mild climate, you don't need A/C at all.  I know probably 90% of the houses in my area has no A/C.  But then again, the hottest day of this summer so far was 78 degrees according to weather forcasts.  But then again, just 5 miles away, the temp went up to 88, so... :huh:  Desert weather for ya..

cawimmer430

Why are we still arguing?  :huh:

I GET IT THAT THE SUMMERS VARY IN THE US DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE. I GET THAT. I GET THAT FOR SOME AREAS AND A/C MAKES SENSE.

All I am saying is that here most people don't see a need for a home A/C since the summers are mild and tolerable and not as hot as elsewhere. Also, most people here lust for the heat and summers after a cold winter and cool spring.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2012, 12:06:51 PM
Why are we still arguing?  :huh:
Theres no argument, people are just pointing out the absurdity in the following statement

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 23, 2012, 04:25:45 AM
It also comes down to cultural differences.

Americans apparently FEEL THAT THEY NEED an A/C during the summers, most Europeans (especially those in Central and Northern Europe) FEEL THAT THEY DON'T NEED an A/C.

In other words, you seem to be claiming Americans have a lower tolerance or heat or needlessly use A/C when they don't "have" to, which runs counter to the backpedaling you engaged in here:

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2012, 12:06:51 PM
I GET IT THAT THE SUMMERS VARY IN THE US DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE. I GET THAT. I GET THAT FOR SOME AREAS AND A/C MAKES SENSE.

This directly contracticts the claim that the difference is "cultural". ":huh:"

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 24, 2012, 12:15:06 PM
In other words, you seem to be claiming Americans have a lower tolerance or heat or needlessly use A/C when they don't "have" to, which runs counter to the backpedaling you engaged in here:

I'm sure that if you were here in Europe right now, you'd be crying for an A/C whereas the majority of Europeans wouldn't.

Sure, I realize the heat varies in different places but Northern and Central Europe have tolerable summers. Most people are not going to buy an A/C. There are days when it's really hot where an A/C could be a wonderful thing, but those days are rare. You're looking at an entire week or two in the summer for that kind of weather and it doesn't warrant the cost of buying an A/C which will never be used for the majority of the year.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Seattle is A/C weather for 2 weeks.  Fortunately, the mild climate in Seattle is also optimal for heat pumps during the winter. Heat pumps can also function as very effective air conditioners.

I think Europe's lack of A/C is probably due to folks dwelling in older structures that lack central heating.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on August 24, 2012, 12:30:47 PM
I think Europe's lack of A/C is probably due to folks dwelling in older structures that lack central heating.

When someone rents an apartment and wants an A/C, they have to pay for the costs of the A/C and the installation (tearing down walls etc.) and plumbing/wiring. When they move out to another apartment or different city, they're expected to take the A/C with them and thus have to pay for the de-installation.

I guess that's another reason why people don't want to invest in an A/C here. But generally it's simply not needed.

Spain, Portugal etc. might be a different story.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

I don't think tenants go through that trouble in the States. Maybe the big difference in mentality is in rates of home ownership? O_o

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2012, 12:25:19 PM
I'm sure that if you were here in Europe right now, you'd be crying for an A/C whereas the majority of Europeans wouldn't.

Sure, I realize the heat varies in different places but Northern and Central Europe have tolerable summers. Most people are not going to buy an A/C. There are days when it's really hot where an A/C could be a wonderful thing, but those days are rare. You're looking at an entire week or two in the summer for that kind of weather and it doesn't warrant the cost of buying an A/C which will never be used for the majority of the year.

If I were in Germany with your 28 degree temperatures, I'd roll with the windows down all day every day.  That's really perfect.  Bring a light jacket out for the evenings and all is good. 

sportyaccordy

I will be in Europe in 2 weeks. I don't think some of the places we are staying in have A/C. My parents place in Ghana didn't have A/C. I didn't have A/C in my bedroom until I got my own place (so no A/C for ~23 years). And these were all in places as hot as, or way hotter than anywhere in Europe. Its 68 degrees in Munich right now. I can say with certainty I would not have the A/C on in such weather. I would open the window.

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2012, 12:25:19 PMSure, I realize the heat varies in different places but Northern and Central Europe have tolerable summers. Most people are not going to buy an A/C. There are days when it's really hot where an A/C could be a wonderful thing, but those days are rare. You're looking at an entire week or two in the summer for that kind of weather and it doesn't warrant the cost of buying an A/C which will never be used for the majority of the year.
Nobody is saying people in Europe need to have A/Cs. Either something is getting lost in translation or you are just talking in circles at this point.

But the POINT is, whether or not Americans "cry for A/C when they don't need it" is irrelevant. Most of America has much more severe weather than most of Europe, which warrants more energy use for A/C and heating. You seem to forget, most Americans are of European descent. America is just colder and hotter period than Europe. If you don't get it now too bad, I am done here

Onslaught

How many time do we need to come over there and kick Europe's ass before you realize we're all bad asses over here?

If it's not hot then we don't turn on our A/C either. Why would you? I've got about one month in the spring and another in the fall here that I don't use heat or air.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 22, 2012, 06:49:12 AM
Well, many Europeans feel they don't need it. It's as simple as that.

I'm sitting in my cool apartment right now with the windows open. It's hot outside (28 degrees C) but cool inside my apartment. I don't need an A/C to be honest.

Not to add fuel to an already out of control fire here; but european buildings and homes are generally better built than the wood and drywall boxes we live in in the US; and that can make a huge difference on how well a building fares without ac.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2012, 12:34:49 PM
When someone rents an apartment and wants an A/C, they have to pay for the costs of the A/C and the installation (tearing down walls etc.) and plumbing/wiring. When they move out to another apartment or different city, they're expected to take the A/C with them and thus have to pay for the de-installation.

Why wouldn't they just get a window A/C?

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 24, 2012, 03:33:15 PM
Not to add fuel to an already out of control fire here; but european buildings and homes are generally better built than the wood and drywall boxes we live in in the US; and that can make a huge difference on how well a building fares without ac.
That's true, my wood house is a huge novelty to French people. Maison en bois!!!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 24, 2012, 11:29:21 PM
That's true, my wood house is a huge novelty to French people. Maison en bois!!!

Take a drive thorough texas someday and what you'lllikely see are suburbs where the same design of house that's built in Seattle is built in Dallas, or Denver, or Fargo.

Think about how nuts that is for a second.

Look at the older houses in southern texas: at the big overhanging roofs and large porches- for hundreds of years nobody in their right mind would build a house without a porch in Texas.

In the south: the old houses are built at the bottom of the hills, usually in a wooded grove, the new ones are boxes on top of the hills.

With the advent of A/C and cheap energy, a lot of common sense in house design went out the window.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

I get it.

Let's change the topic.

Sarah Palin is smoking hot!

Discuss!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 25, 2012, 05:41:35 AM
I get it.

Let's change the topic.

Discuss!
Not really. Not anymore anyway. At one time she was but she's lost it now.

dazzleman

Quote from: Onslaught on August 25, 2012, 06:28:53 AM
Not really. Not anymore anyway. At one time she was but she's lost it now.

She still looks great.  Her 15 minutes of fame are over, not her hotness.  At least not yet.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 25, 2012, 05:41:35 AM
I get it.

Let's change the topic.

Discuss!

Speaking of changing the subject, I've been meaning to ask you Wimmer, are you circumicised?  Do you think baby boys should be? :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on August 25, 2012, 06:37:57 AM
Speaking of changing the subject, I've been meaning to ask you Wimmer, are you circumicised?  Do you think baby boys should be? :devil:

Thank god no. I am intact and loving it.  :praise:

So you can bet that if I ever meet Sarah Palin she'll be satisfied with me as her lover.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on August 25, 2012, 06:37:17 AM
She still looks great.  Her 15 minutes of fame are over, not her hotness.  At least not yet.
If she was still in office I'd say she looked better then most. But now that she's just and idiot on the tv I hold her to a different standard. So now she's no longer hot and just ok at best.

sportyaccordy

If she was in office now she would have aged about 15 years  like Obama did

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 25, 2012, 09:46:53 AM

I doubt she'd have aged that much as Alaska governor.

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 25, 2012, 09:46:53 AM

It really is amazing how the presidency takes a toll on all these guys. Clinton didn't get it too bad, but Bush II and Obama both looked (look) ridiculously older by the end of their first terms.

93JC

Quote from: TurboDan on August 24, 2012, 07:52:22 PM
Why wouldn't they just get a window A/C?

Europeans don't have windows. They're sources of heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. Windows are wasteful bourgeois American things that Europeans are too forward-thinking to bother having.

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on August 25, 2012, 11:21:51 AM
Europeans don't have windows. They're sources of heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. Windows are wasteful bourgeois American things that Europeans are too forward-thinking to bother having.

:lol:
Cuore Sportivo

dazzleman

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on August 25, 2012, 11:21:51 AM

Windows are heavily taxed here. There's no need for them!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Soup DeVille

Also, european women save energy by refusing to shave their ampits.