SRT Viper Launch Edition

Started by SVT666, August 16, 2012, 09:56:51 PM

SVT666

For Viper fans, the last three years have seemed like an eternity. After the Dodge Viper was discontinued in 2010, no one was sure if it?d ever return.

Then, this past spring, it came back with a vengeance, badged as an SRT vehicle instead of a Dodge. The 2013 SRT Viper is just months away from going on sale. Its first iteration to find customers will be the Launch Edition, a throwback to the Vipers that terrorized the streets from the first GTS coupe in 1996 and 2006 redesign.

Adorned in GTS Blue with Bright White dual stripes exclusive to the Launch Edition, it pays homage to the cars that came before it, the cars that helped carve the path for one of America?s most popular sports cars. But it also helps pave the way for the upcoming SRT Viper and Viper GTS models, shod with a new-style five-spoke wheel design and the third version of the snake on the badge, the aptly named Stryker.

Setting the 2013 SRT Viper Launch Edition apart from non-special edition Vipers to follow are a serialized plaque, Black Laguna leather with contrast stitching, an Alcantara headliner, and white bezels with a Satin Silver finish. More than any Viper before it, the 2013 model exudes the sort of luxury one would expect of a roughly low six-figure supercar (Prices have not yet been announced, but expect it to be near or slightly above $100,000.).

But that?s not why people buy Vipers; they buy them for their visceral performance and raw appeal. Despite now having federally mandated traction and stability control, the 2013 SRT Viper still delivers those in spades by way of its relatively light weight?down more than 100 pounds versus the last 2010 models?and 640-horsepower, 8.4-liter V-10 engine, which is 40 horsepower up on the last car?s. The 2013 SRT Viper also uses carbon fiber extensively for the first time, replacing the previous car?s fiber glass panels and helping stiffen up the car?s structure and lighten it some. The rest of the body is made of aluminum.

The 2013 SRT Viper Launch Edition makes its debut at this weekend?s Pebble Beach Concours d?Elegance in Monterey, California, from August 17-19. It is expected to hit showrooms in the fourth quarter of this year.

Atomic

:wub: Wish I could hope a plan to CA! Sheer perfection...

mzziaz

Sorry, but that is the ugliest viper ever.
Cuore Sportivo

Atomic

Payman

Quote from: mzziaz on August 17, 2012, 06:15:38 AM
Sorry, but that is the ugliest viper ever.

You mean compared to previous Vipers, right? I can understand that. But no way can this be called an ugly car.

Raza

Other than the Dodge Ram logo built out of hood scoops, it looks exactly the same as the other cars. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Quote from: Rockraven on August 17, 2012, 10:35:25 AM
You mean compared to previous Vipers, right? I can understand that. But no way can this be called an ugly car.

Yes.

Stupid headlights.
Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

SVT666

Especially in this paint scheme, it looks amazing.

Onslaught

So when can we see the new one? What's that? This is the new one? When did they get the 911 design team to make the same car as the had before?

Eye of the Tiger

Hate it because I can't have it
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on August 17, 2012, 11:39:25 AM
So when can we see the new one? What's that? This is the new one? When did they get the 911 design team to make the same car as the had before?

What're you talking about?

Atomic

^I can see where the familiar color scheme could make some think this. The bright red one displayed in NYC looked very, very hot and definitely ALL NEW.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on August 17, 2012, 10:43:22 AM
Other than the Dodge Ram logo built out of hood scoops, it looks exactly the same as the other cars. 

Not seeing a Ram logo in the hoodscoops.  Longhorn logo, maybe, but not Ram.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Gotta-Qik-C7

I love how pronounced the double bubble roof is and it even carries into the rear hatch glass.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Atomic

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on August 17, 2012, 04:07:12 PM
I love how pronounced the double bubble roof is and it even carries into the rear hatch glass.

Me, too! Also, I like the idea of this Viper for 2013 going to the newly created SRT brand. SRT is no longer "just" a special edition for Chrysler-Jeep, Dodge and later Fiat (alledeged), it a new division, starting with all SRT models for MY12.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on August 17, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
Not seeing a Ram logo in the hoodscoops.  Longhorn logo, maybe, but not Ram.

Yeah, that works.  Some stupid logo.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this thing puts down around some of the tracks that the magazines use.  I also can't wait to see how much it smashes the old Viper's time at the Ring by, though that would probably by an ACR version again.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on August 17, 2012, 09:20:53 PM
I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this thing puts down around some of the tracks that the magazines use.  I also can't wait to see how much it smashes the old Viper's time at the Ring by, though that would probably by an ACR version again.

It'll probably do 1 second faster than a GTI like the old one did on the Top Gear track.   :evildude:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Onslaught

2o6

I find the design to be a little hard to read...Corvette looks sophisticated, this IMO is almost tacky.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on August 18, 2012, 10:42:22 PM
I find the design to be a little hard to read...Corvette looks sophisticated, this IMO is almost tacky.

I agree. SRT is striving a bit hard to harken back to a legacy that is, well, not much of one.

One of the auto mags a couple of months ago had an interview with the Viper chief engineer. He droned on about Viper customers being afraid of the Viper becoming a Corvette (too refined). Why be loud, hot, and rough, especially when you have to try to be that way? All seems goofy, and another reason why I've never been much of a Viper fan. Would totally take a Corvette over a Viper; the C7 is going to be huge.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on August 18, 2012, 10:42:22 PM
The head lights are the culprit. They don't fit in at all!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 18, 2012, 11:36:50 PM
I agree. SRT is striving a bit hard to harken back to a legacy that is, well, not much of one.

One of the auto mags a couple of months ago had an interview with the Viper chief engineer. He droned on about Viper customers being afraid of the Viper becoming a Corvette (too refined). Why be loud, hot, and rough, especially when you have to try to be that way? All seems goofy, and another reason why I've never been much of a Viper fan. Would totally take a Corvette over a Viper; the C7 is going to be huge.

Can you name another car that didn't exist before 1992 that has a bigger/better racing heritage?

Atomic

Quote from: Rockraven on August 19, 2012, 05:52:01 AM
Can you name another car that didn't exist before 1992 that has a bigger/better racing heritage?

I cannot, Rockraven. Love the Viper! The new one looks fantastic. Kudos to Chrysler  :ohyeah:

LonghornTX

Quote from: Rockraven on August 19, 2012, 05:52:01 AM
Exactly.

Wait till all of you see this car in person, it looks amazing
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

I have seen some non-promotional photos that look amazing.