Defense for LEO tailgating?

Started by r0tor, August 31, 2012, 03:15:10 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on September 02, 2012, 03:39:51 PM
Yet, if a civilian breaks the speed limit because he needs to be a certain place for work or has a turtle head popping out, an officer will ram a speeding ticket up his ass...

Actually, I've been told more than once (by cops none the less) that the most effective excuse they hear is "sorry officer, but I really have to take a shit, like right now."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

rohan

Quote from: r0tor on September 02, 2012, 03:39:51 PM
Yet, if a civilian breaks the speed limit because he needs to be a certain place for work or has a turtle head popping out, an officer will ram a speeding ticket up his ass...
That's against policy too.  If you'd have said broom stick handle or night stick then it would be permissible. 

But in general what are you saying?  Police should never drive fast to a call?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

TurboDan

Quote from: rohan on September 02, 2012, 05:25:55 PM
That's against policy too.  If you'd have said broom stick handle or night stick then it would be permissible. 

Haters gon' hate. 99% of cops are stand-up dudes. A few clowns make everyone look like assholes. Sucks.

Catman

Just call the police station and report it.

r0tor

Quote from: rohan on September 02, 2012, 05:25:55 PM

I've been told by cops the laws are there for safety.

So if a police officer needs to break the speed limit, then he should have his flashing lights on.  Otherwise, suffer like the rest of us.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

In fact, nobody should ever break speed limits for any reason. Otherwise, the entire idea of speed limits is flawed. Oh wait, it is.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on September 03, 2012, 12:46:17 AM
Haters gon' hate. 99% of cops are stand-up dudes. A few clowns make everyone look like assholes. Sucks.

99% seems really high.  Maybe something more like 14% and like 71% are in the middle, and like 15% are total assholes. 

Actually, if you extrapolate using the pigs this forum, something around 25% are really good guys, 25% are okay, and 50% are major, racist, homophobic assholes. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 03, 2012, 09:23:33 AM
99% seems really high.  Maybe something more like 14% and like 71% are in the middle, and like 15% are total assholes. 

Actually, if you extrapolate using the pigs this forum, something around 25% are really good guys, 25% are okay, and 50% are major, racist, homophobic assholes. 

:lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28012.msg1773832#msg1773832 date=1346685813

LOL, there's only four on here, three if you consider Hounddog and Rohan as clones.  :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28012.msg1773832#msg1773832 date=1346685813

You left out sexist or mysoginistic.  It's always obligatory to include that when you mention the other two.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28012.msg1773832#msg1773832 date=134668581399% seems really high.  Maybe something more like 14% and like 71% are in the middle, and like 15% are total assholes.  

I'm just trying to figure out which percentage I fall into... :confused:

:lol:

bing_oh

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2012, 08:40:14 AMI've been told by cops the laws are there for safety.

So if a police officer needs to break the speed limit, then he should have his flashing lights on.  Otherwise, suffer like the rest of us.

And, then, we would get bitched at because we took too long responding to your calls...probably accompanied by some comment about having to finish our donuts. Lose/lose. I'll just continue to do things as I already do them and you can bitch about my speeding. I'll take the grief if it increases my chances of getting to an important call a little faster and maybe helping somebody or catching a shitbag.

rohan

Quote from: Raza  on September 03, 2012, 09:23:33 AM

So 78% better numbers then the general public.  :ohyeah:

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2012, 08:40:14 AM
I've been told by cops the laws are there for safety.

Police officers have been through intensive driving classes that make them world-class drivers on par with the likes of WRC and Formula 1 drivers.  You, Joe Public, have not, which is why there are safety laws like speed limits in place to protect you and the rest of the public from itself.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

bing_oh

Quote from: MX793 on September 03, 2012, 08:18:10 PMPolice officers have been through intensive driving classes that make them world-class drivers on par with the likes of WRC and Formula 1 drivers.  You, Joe Public, have not, which is why there are safety laws like speed limits in place to protect you and the rest of the public from itself.

Well above average drivers, probably. World-class might be pushing it a bit, though. Appreciate the compliment, though. :ohyeah:

MX793

Quote from: bing_oh on September 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM
And, then, we would get bitched at because we took too long responding to your calls...probably accompanied by some comment about having to finish our donuts. Lose/lose. I'll just continue to do things as I already do them and you can bitch about my speeding. I'll take the grief if it increases my chances of getting to an important call a little faster and maybe helping somebody or catching a shitbag.

If it's an important call, turn your flashers on.  Safer and every bit as effective at getting a vehicle out of your way when you're in a hurry than riding their rear bumper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

Quote from: MX793 on September 03, 2012, 08:21:48 PM
If it's an important call, turn your flashers on.  Safer and every bit as effective at getting a vehicle out of your way when you're in a hurry than riding their rear bumper.

As explained, state laws/guidelines plus insurance company edicts prevent them from doing so in many situations.

rohan

Quote from: MX793 on September 03, 2012, 08:21:48 PM
And potentially a violation of department policy or state statute or both.  Like I said earlier most departments out there have pretty strict guidlines about when and why officers can use their lights.  Then there's the calls that you "can't" run lights and siren because you don't want the bad guys to know your coming like alarms- domestics- robberies and break ins in progress- or if another officer is asking for assistance but is not in "immediate" danger- etc.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: bing_oh on September 03, 2012, 08:21:05 PM
Well above average drivers, probably. World-class might be pushing it a bit, though. Appreciate the compliment, though. :ohyeah:
Was he serious?  I took it like he was ribbing us.  I would say the average police officer is better then above average but that's my opinion.  I do think officers who work outside cities or towns like sheriff deputies and township officers drive much better at a lot faster speed then their city-bound counterparts.  On the other hand the guys working in cities probably do a lot better in real confined typed driving.

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: rohan on September 03, 2012, 08:54:49 PMAnd potentially a violation of department policy or state statute or both.  Like I said earlier most departments out there have pretty strict guidlines about when and why officers can use their lights.  Then there's the calls that you "can't" run lights and siren because you don't want the bad guys to know your coming like alarms- domestics- robberies and break ins in progress- or if another officer is asking for assistance but is not in "immediate" danger- etc.

Hell, Randy, you know people think we can run lights and siren whenever we want to and do so to every hot call. They don't get that we're restricted by policy and state law, not to mention tactical considerations.

rohan

Yeah I know.  They come in to our office every so often to complain about their local fire trucks running lights and siren to calls.  Or state law doesn't let them run lights without sirens but no one cares about that when their getting woke up every few nights. 

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: rohan on September 03, 2012, 08:58:40 PMWas he serious?  I took it like he was ribbing us.  I would say the average police officer is better then above average but that's my opinion.  I do think officers who work outside cities or towns like sheriff deputies and township officers drive much better at a lot faster speed then their city-bound counterparts.  On the other hand the guys working in cities probably do a lot better in real confined typed driving.

I took it straight-faced...I'll take whatever compliment I can get, damnit! :rage:

Anybody can drive fast in a straight line, even you county black shirts, but you need mad skillz to work the tight corners and traffic we city cops do with ease! :lol:

rohan

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: rohan on September 03, 2012, 09:10:51 PMBrown.  :ohyeah:

My apologies...baby poop brown. :lol: "Black shirt" is a general derogatory reference to deputies in Ohio, since they all wear black shirts and gray pants because of the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association guidelines.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: thecarnut on September 02, 2012, 12:59:35 AM
I find it to be especially dangerous at night when I'm being blinded by the LEO's lights. :rage:

I had that happen to me on a windy road at night. It was very irritating and if I hadn't known the road like the back of my hand I would've been terrified as well.

Yeah man, when cops are driving near me let alone right on my bumper my heart rate is typically at least 40 BPM higher than normal. Cops scare the crap out of me on the road.

I am fundamentally against breaking the law to catch people breaking the law on the road. There are no excuses for that behavior at all in my book. You have to find a reason to pull me over 2 seconds behind me buddy.

Also, tailgating to drive quickly for a non-emergency call that "is important" is a load of shit to me. Either it's an emergency or it's not. In the latter case, you have to stick to the damn laws like the rest of us. We civilians need to be places quickly too sometimes.

Rupert

Indeed. If it's so important you have to break the law to get there, then it's important enough for the light show (unless it's a tactical thing), damn the regulations and other excuses.

Not like tailgating people is an effective way to get somewhere faster anyway.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Hey, if cops didn't spend 90% of their time eating doughnuts and giving speeding tickets to people driving completely reasonably, people wouldn't slow to a crawl every time they saw a cop on the road. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on September 03, 2012, 11:59:02 PM
Indeed. If it's so important you have to break the law to get there, then it's important enough for the light show (unless it's a tactical thing), damn the regulations and other excuses.

A government agency and its employees cannot pick and choose which state laws and policies they follow. If a cop throws on the light show and sirens when he's not supposed to and an accident occurs, you're facing millions of dollars in civil liabilities, plus the cop probably risks losing his job and entire career.

Rupert

First sentence runs contrary to the rest. And what if an accident occurs when the cop is tailgating and speeding instead of using the lights? Don't you think that's more likely?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA