Defense for LEO tailgating?

Started by r0tor, August 31, 2012, 03:15:10 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on December 01, 2012, 05:06:43 PM
Overall not a very good article. Sure some LEOs are bad drivers but generally yes, LEOs should have much more leeway in how they drive WRT a citizen (i.e., shouldn't be held to the same laws).

NO. The laws are for everyone's safety. (supposedly)
If the police officer has the lights and siren on (in official duty), THEN they can skip the laws. Otherwise they should follow all of them. If they don't like them, then they should complain to lawmakers.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 01, 2012, 07:59:39 PM
If the police officer has the lights and siren on (in official duty), THEN they can skip the laws. Otherwise they should follow all of them. If they don't like them, then they should complain to lawmakers.

Uh, the lawmakers make the laws that dictate flexibility/immunity/etc. WRT LEOs following traffic law...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2012, 02:07:36 AM
Uh, the lawmakers make the laws that dictate flexibility/immunity/etc. WRT LEOs following traffic law...

Sure they COULD but they USUALLY haven't. Which laws say cops can just speed when they want (no lights on, not responding)? Most places don't have anything on the books regarding- UNLESS they are performing duties.   Thus the cop is "supposed to" follow the same laws as anyone else. (for example, driving home after a shift).

But in real practice, the cops themselves don't pull each other over, and if they did, the courts would shove it under the rug.
Will

rohan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 01, 2012, 03:26:30 PM
OK, I get how the 6th and 7th apply here- but the 14th? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?
Key Clauses of the 14th Amendment

Four principles were asserted in the text of the 14th amendment. They were:

1.  State and federal ciizenship for all persons regardless of race both born or naturalized in the United States was reaffirmed.

2.  No state would be allowed to abridge the "privileges and immunities" of citizens. 

3.  No person was allowed to be deprived of life, liberty,or property without "due process of law."

4.  No person could be denied "equal protection of the laws."

http://americanhistory.about.com/od/usconstitution/a/14th-Amendment-Summary.htm
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 01, 2012, 07:59:39 PM
Uhg.  Do we really need to cover this again?  Not everything is this cut and dried.  Please look back at posts by officers to explain this.  ;)

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on December 02, 2012, 08:28:04 PM
Key Clauses of the 14th Amendment

Four principles were asserted in the text of the 14th amendment. They were:

1.  State and federal ciizenship for all persons regardless of race both born or naturalized in the United States was reaffirmed.

2.  No state would be allowed to abridge the "privileges and immunities" of citizens. 

3.  No person was allowed to be deprived of life, liberty,or property without "due process of law."

4.  No person could be denied "equal protection of the laws."

http://americanhistory.about.com/od/usconstitution/a/14th-Amendment-Summary.htm

Yes, I know what it is: what I don't get is how it would protect or condone the practice of an officer deciding whether or not to enforce laws based on whether or not the person found breaking them is a friend or in some position of influence. "Equal protection under the law" can also be read to mean "equally subject to the law."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

rohan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 02, 2012, 08:39:38 PM
Yes, I know what it is: what I don't get is how it would protect or condone the practice of an officer deciding whether or not to enforce laws based on whether or not the person found breaking them is a friend or in some position of influence. "Equal protection under the law" can also be read to mean "equally subject to the law."
Taking away jury option = violation of due process of law = 14th violation.  

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on December 02, 2012, 08:48:23 PM

Taking away jury option = violation of due process of law = 14th violation. 

That's not what I mean.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

rohan

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: rohan on December 02, 2012, 08:29:37 PM
  Uhg.  Do we really need to cover this again?  Not everything is this cut and dried.  Please look back at posts by officers to explain this.  ;)

It's never cut and dried when a Wilbur is involved right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on December 03, 2012, 11:05:09 AMIt's never cut and dried when a Wilbur is involved right?

Nothing in real life is "cut and dried," Raza. The world is full of gray areas. And calling LEO's pigs isn't very nice (nor is it very creative, even when making it an obscure reference from a children's book).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on December 03, 2012, 09:13:28 PM
Nothing in real life is "cut and dried," Raza. The world is full of gray areas. And calling LEO's pigs isn't very nice (nor is it very creative, even when making it an obscure reference from a children's book).

is that what he was doing? I was thinking Famous dave's barbecue.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on December 03, 2012, 09:13:28 PM

Charlotte's Web is far from obscure. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on December 04, 2012, 02:39:31 AMCharlotte's Web is far from obscure.

If you're going to make a (poor) attempt at an insulting comment, at least have the balls to let it fly instead of covering it up with some oddball reference (you're on a car forum full of guys, so I think children's book references could still be considered obscure...especially from a guy with no kids).

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on December 04, 2012, 01:00:25 PM
If you're going to make a (poor) attempt at an insulting comment, at least have the balls to let it fly instead of covering it up with some oddball reference (you're on a car forum full of guys, so I think children's book references could still be considered obscure...especially from a guy with no kids).

Charlotte's Web is a beloved and long-lived tale.  That's like saying a Dr. Seuss reference is obscure if you don't have any children. 

Besides, how esoteric could it possibly be if you got it, Bing? 

;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on December 04, 2012, 01:18:29 PMCharlotte's Web is a beloved and long-lived tale.  That's like saying a Dr. Seuss reference is obscure if you don't have any children. 

Besides, how esoteric could it possibly be if you got it, Bing? 

;)

Actually, my head is packed full of useless knowledge.

The Charlotte's Web thing is an aside anyway, as you well know. The point was that calling LEO's "pigs" is rather confrontational of you. :nono:

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on December 05, 2012, 05:36:22 AM
Actually, my head is packed full of useless knowledge.

The Charlotte's Web thing is an aside anyway, as you well know. The point was that calling LEO's "pigs" is rather confrontational of you. :nono:

Yeah, but I did it in an adorable way. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on December 05, 2012, 07:23:58 AMYeah, but I did it in an adorable way.

Maybe it's just me, but I generally find grown men being "adorable" to actually be nauseatingly repulsive... :huh:

rohan

You also know he's that meek guy who barely says anything except he apologizes the entire time you have him pulled over and thanks you as you head back to the car everytime.   We call those guys "AEATs". Pronounced "ates"

(Afraid of Everything Around Them)

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: rohan on December 05, 2012, 06:29:20 PMYou also know he's that meek guy who barely says anything except he apologizes the entire time you have him pulled over and thanks you as you head back to the car everytime.   We call those guys "AEATs". Pronounced "ates"

I always assumed that Raza would be a highly nonconfrontational person IRL.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on December 05, 2012, 06:49:04 PM
I always assumed that Raza would be a highly nonconfrontational person IRL.

Only if we meet in an official capacity.  I mean, a cop's got a gun and people will believe anything a cop has to say.  Not to be trusted, not to be trifled with.  When I get pulled over, I'm polite, I have my documents ready, and I'm honest.  Seems to work.  I mean, no sense in arguing with the copper or becoming infuriated; it's not like some cop writing tickets is going to be able to change an outdated and useless law.  Might as well be mad at the rain for the clouds. 

Unofficially, I'm pretty much the same guy you see here.  Things may not always translate perfectly over the internet, but it's not far off.  I don't doubt that we'd enjoy each other's company, though.  I've always liked you pigs well enough that I'd be able to put aside our differences for at least five drinks.  Drink six is a wildcard though. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: rohan on December 05, 2012, 06:29:20 PM
You also know he's that meek guy who barely says anything except he apologizes the entire time you have him pulled over and thanks you as you head back to the car everytime.   We call those guys "AEATs". Pronounced "ates"

As I recall, you're the one who won't let your wife venture into the wilds of normal life unless she's packing heat and I'm the one who's afraid of everything?  At least I have the guts to leave my home without an arsenal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on December 05, 2012, 06:05:04 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I generally find grown men being "adorable" to actually be nauseatingly repulsive... :huh:

Oh come now, we both know you found it endlessly endearing.   :wub:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2012, 11:32:22 AM
As I recall, you're the one who won't let your wife venture into the wilds of normal life unless she's packing heat and I'm the one who's afraid of everything?  At least I have the guts to leave my home without an arsenal. 

hahahaha :lol: :clap:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

rohan

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2012, 11:32:22 AM
:rolleyes:
With the kids.
If you're going to paraphrase at least get the basics right. 

You're also not a parent (or female) who goes to malls and such places with children in tow, and have to be responsible for their safety.  You know malls and other stores- frequent targets of shooters?   ;)

~Chief Seattle

TurboDan

I try to avoid malls at all cost. I actually DO tend to think they're dangerous places. The attract anyone and everyone. One mall in my area happens to be near a bad town and the movie theater attracts gang members who occasionally stir up trouble. The parking lots of malls are notoriously dangerous.

Of places I would consider safe, a shopping mall would NOT be one of them.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on December 16, 2012, 03:52:29 PM
I try to avoid malls at all cost. I actually DO tend to think they're dangerous places. The attract anyone and everyone. One mall in my area happens to be near a bad town and the movie theater attracts gang members who occasionally stir up trouble. The parking lots of malls are notoriously dangerous.

Of places I would consider safe, a shopping mall would NOT be one of them.

I almost got mugged by some gangbanger type in the parking lot of a mall about 6 years ago.  Other than that, I've never felt unsafe at a mall, though.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Oh, you mean a black person was walking in your general direction?

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sparkplug

Quote from: dazzleman on December 16, 2012, 03:55:25 PM
I almost got mugged by some gangbanger type in the parking lot of a mall about 6 years ago.  Other than that, I've never felt unsafe at a mall, though.

Black friday last year somebody suffered an attempted mugging, but one of the victims party was armed and shot back... you know guns aren't bad... but who wields them makes a difference.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 16, 2012, 03:55:25 PM

I once almost got crushed between two cars.  Not intentionally, mind you.

There have been several "flash mob" incidents at Northland this year though; but I won't go to that mall anyways.