Boat Launch Follies

Started by TurboDan, September 10, 2012, 12:07:27 AM

TurboDan

Now that fall is here, people without much boating experience will be hauling their vessels from the water. Because the real, local boaters wait 'til December-ish to haul, the ones at the ramp this time of year generally suck.

If you have a few minutes, watch and laugh, then post your favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDKU7NFAu8&feature=related

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on September 10, 2012, 02:28:58 AM
Yeah... Buddy!

Ha, I was not drunk while posting this. Though boat launch fail videos are hilarious while intoxicated, I must admit!

SVT666

The shit that I witness here on long weekends is hilarious yet rage inducing, especially if I'm waiting to launch myself.  The ones where the husband has no idea how to back up a trailer and the wife trying to guide him are the best.  They usually result in them screaming at each other, the husband slamming his truck door and then in a rage backing it in really fast and almost hitting another boat or the dock or not being straight at all.  I've seen boats fall off trailers as they are being pulled out because the ratchet mechanism lets go and the owner didn't hook up the safety chain.  I have also seen boats sink within minutes because the owner forgot to put the drain plug back in.

Embarrassingly this happened to me earlier this year; I forgot to take the straps off the back of the boat before backing in.  When I realized my trailer was floating I had to pull it out again.

Byteme

Quote from: TurboDan on September 10, 2012, 12:07:27 AM
Now that fall is here, people without much boating experience will be hauling their vessels from the water. Because the real, local boaters wait 'til December-ish to haul, the ones at the ramp this time of year generally suck.

I've long maintained tht some of the best entertainment available can be viewed at boat ramps.   :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: TurboDan on September 10, 2012, 12:07:27 AM

That guy (well, those people) seem pretty wasted.

J86

My buddies and I spent a solid 3 hours kicking back with some beers and watching the epic fails this saturday.  Every now and then I take pity and help some poor bastard.  The ineptitude of your average motor boat owner is amazing.

Soup DeVille

I have to say that with the increasing power of your average vehicle these days, its somewhat less amusing than it used to be. I remember many times when I was a kid watching the car start to spin the tires as it pulled the boat out, and occasionally the whole thing- boat, trailer and tow vehicle0 would end up in the canal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 05, 2012, 12:36:32 AM
I have to say that with the increasing power of your average vehicle these days, its somewhat less amusing than it used to be. I remember many times when I was a kid watching the car start to spin the tires as it pulled the boat out, and occasionally the whole thing- boat, trailer and tow vehicle0 would end up in the canal.

But the drivers are still the same, or maybe worse, so boat ramps are still a rich source of entertainment.   :ohyeah:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 05, 2012, 08:22:13 AM
But the drivers are still the same, or maybe worse, so boat ramps are still a rich source of entertainment.   :ohyeah:

That they are.- and yes, the drivers may possibly be worse.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 05, 2012, 04:49:10 PM
That they are.- and yes, the drivers may possibly be worse.

Back in the late 80's we had a Glastron bowrider Model 177; about 17'-7", probably 2500 lbs with fuel, trailer, etc.  We towed it with my 84 Camaro, 2.8L, 5 speed.  As we only towed to 10 miles one way on the flat and level it worked.  I'd handle the boat and my wife would handle the car and trailer.  Guys would see her behind the wheel and stop whatever they were doing in anticipation of the coming show.  She routinely disappointed them because she was actuaslly better with our rig than most of them were with theirs.

I miss that boat, but not enough to buy another one.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 05, 2012, 05:44:15 PM
She routinely disappointed them because she was actuaslly better with our rig than most of them were with theirs.

Definitely a keeper.   
(Not the boat or Camaro. ;) )
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 11, 2012, 05:45:39 PM
Definitely a keeper.   
(Not the boat or Camaro. ;) )

Thanks.

We liked the boat though, fun, economical and trouble free.