Small cars in Europe: I GET IT NOW

Started by sportyaccordy, September 10, 2012, 08:55:40 AM

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on September 12, 2012, 03:39:13 PM
The Durango is a really nice vehicle.  It's not a sports car and if that's what you want then you don't want a Durango.  Doesn't mean it sucks.

But does it suck as an SUV?  That's the question. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on September 12, 2012, 03:49:28 PM
But does it suck as an SUV?  That's the question. 

My mom had one for years. It did not suck as an SUV. It towed anything we tried to tow, it hauled a lot of shit, and it was dead reliable. The interior probably wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't too bad. American interiors of that time sucked in general, so...

SVT666

IMO, it's the best SUV in it's class right now.

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on September 12, 2012, 04:20:20 PM
IMO, it's the best SUV in it's class right now.

Yeah, I agree. Neighbor has one and it looks awesome. I suggested my mom test out the new one, but she wanted something smaller.

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on September 12, 2012, 10:52:57 PM
Yeah, I agree. Neighbor has one and it looks awesome. I suggested my mom test out the new one, but she wanted something smaller.

Compass!

I'm sorry, that was a terribly unfunny joke.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2012, 10:55:01 PM
Compass!

I'm sorry, that was a terribly unfunny joke.

Ha, my uncle actually has one of those. Interior's nothing great but it's reliable as all hell and gets pretty good MPG with his long daily commute. He always drove pickups beforehand.

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on September 12, 2012, 11:07:44 PM
Ha, my uncle actually has one of those. Interior's nothing great but it's reliable as all hell and gets pretty good MPG with his long daily commute. He always drove pickups beforehand.

Facelift models aren't horrible, but it's not my first choice.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 12, 2012, 03:48:19 PM
Driving anything in a crowded city is no fun.
That really depends. I would say driving anything in traffic is no fun. When things are moving it can be quite alright.

sportyaccordy

The new Durangos are very attractive. I was blown away when I first saw them, and thought they were something German rather than from DCX.

Rich

You get it now?  I thought you've always been questioning the size of the cars Americans buy.. like the Camry, SUVs, etc...
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Lebowski

Quote from: TurboDan on September 11, 2012, 09:13:24 AM
For me personally, I decided to buy an SUV rather than a small car because I'm a single guy. There are many times when I need to haul shit places by myself, tow a boat by myself or bring fishing stuff to marinas or even off-road up to the beach. Granted, that might not be completely typical, but I needed a larger vehicle that could "do it all" because I really don't have any other options at this point. I loved my Passat but I wasn't able to do everything I needed to do with it. Making multiple trips places and walking a mile down the beach carrying tons of fishing rods and equipment got old.

If I was, say, married or something, ideally my presumably non-enthusiast wife would drive a larger vehicle and I'd get something like Raza's Z4 or a GTI, and we could switch when necessary.

+1

I would have a hard time getting on w/o having my 4runner. If I was married I could make my wife drive a minivan or something and just use that when I need the space.

Laconian

You people make me sick.

I have seen the light
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 12, 2012, 03:48:19 PM
Driving anything in a crowded city is no fun.

I don't know, an M1A1 Abrams would be pretty fun. :evildude:

2o6

My car will likely be the same size. Nothing a class up lights my fire, and everything a class down seems to be too impractical.

NomisR

This thread makes me want to get myself a HMMWV

nickdrinkwater

Would everyone stop referring to someone called a "European".  I don't know who the hell you're talking about.  Who is this European guy and where does he live?

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2012, 10:08:20 AM
My car will likely be the same size. Nothing a class up lights my fire, and everything a class down seems to be too impractical.

I'm not sure I can go much smaller. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28068.msg1778275#msg1778275 date=1347564241
I'm not sure I can go much smaller. 

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 11, 2012, 11:34:36 AM
Given the choice & the resources (infrastructure & money), Europeans would drive bigger cars if they could, & thereby enjoy them as part of a higher standard of living.

So if people lived in a country that was the complete opposite of their own, they'd behave different?  Wow.  I never realised that.

NomisR

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 13, 2012, 01:22:40 PM
Would everyone stop referring to someone called a "European".  I don't know who the hell you're talking about.  Who is this European guy and where does he live?

You!

NomisR

NomisR

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 13, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
So if people lived in a country that was the complete opposite of their own, they'd behave different?  Wow.  I never realised that.

Seems like there's plenty of people that still didn't and thinks Americans should all drive around in this instead

sportyaccordy

Take someones opinions beyond the realm of reason to show why they are "not valid"... very mature

Obviously if you are towing boats or hauling furniture or, like I already said, can legitimately afford and just want a huge car, who cares? But a lot of Americans overcommit financially to buy cars that don't fit their needs. With the country in the condition its in, as well as the various environmental and political issues surrounding oil, it wouldn't hurt the average American carbuyer to have access to and buy something like a Twingo. Anecdote alert... when I went up to CT to ride with my buddy, we went to a pizza shop where one of the delivery boys had just bought a brand new Camry SE. Again dude is free to do what he wants. But I can't help but wonder. How much is that car hurting his pockets, and given the nature of what he will use the car for, wouldn't it make 100x more sense to get something more fuel efficient? There's an element of shame and insecurity behind the US' consumption culture but I won't get into that here. Obv theres an element of shame in the draconian tax policies here as well but again that's another thread.

Even without the taxes though I think people here would buy smaller cars. I haven't even filled up my tank yet, but aside from that I still am glad I got this little thing instead of anything bigger. The roads out in the country here are downright treacherous and you absolutely need a car you can place 100% confidently. Even something a Corolla's size would be a little ponderous. I can't even imagine how those folks with big Audis and Benzes manage. There is never a time I drive this car that I don't appreciate its nature. And I can sit behind myself in relative comfort (I am a standard size American male).

Only real gripe is the damn motor. Gotta keep it on the boil on steep mountain roads, and my throttle blipping calibration is still set to "motorcycle" so downshifts with the vague ass clutch are choppy. The combo of slow revs + bigger gear ratio gaps require outright WOT stomps to get the blip necessary between 3rd and 2nd for example. I am going to go ahead and say if I ever come back to the mountains out in Western Europe I'm gonna try and get a turbo diesel. It works though.

I really feel for the typical Americans who come out here. There was a lady at the car rental station who was FRANTICALLY going from booth to booth trying to find a car with an automatic transmission. Welcome to Europe lady :evildude:

TurboDan

Sporty -- I think there is some middle ground. For example, I'd love the diesel version of my LR2, but I can't buy it here. Size, price and efficiency aren't always mutually exclusive.

And being that I have family who live in VERY rural Ireland, I know what old European roads can be like. It was a little bit of a shock to me the first time I was driving an RHD car on the "wrong" side of a road to get past a massive tractor, but I managed. Arguably, if I had my LR2, I could've just driven to the side, plowed over a couple of plants and let him by without worrying whether I'd be able to get un-stuck. It is what it is. The taxes over there are BS, and our historically-high vehicle sizes in the US are a bit of BS too.

But there are happy mediums. At the end of the day, my desire is that anyone should drive what they are comfortable driving with the least amount of government interference possible.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 14, 2012, 01:01:17 AM
Take someones opinions beyond the realm of reason to show why they are "not valid"... very mature

Obviously if you are towing boats or hauling furniture or, like I already said, can legitimately afford and just want a huge car, who cares? But a lot of Americans overcommit financially to buy cars that don't fit their needs. With the country in the condition its in, as well as the various environmental and political issues surrounding oil, it wouldn't hurt the average American carbuyer to have access to and buy something like a Twingo. Anecdote alert... when I went up to CT to ride with my buddy, we went to a pizza shop where one of the delivery boys had just bought a brand new Camry SE. Again dude is free to do what he wants. But I can't help but wonder. How much is that car hurting his pockets, and given the nature of what he will use the car for, wouldn't it make 100x more sense to get something more fuel efficient? There's an element of shame and insecurity behind the US' consumption culture but I won't get into that here. Obv theres an element of shame in the draconian tax policies here as well but again that's another thread.

Even without the taxes though I think people here would buy smaller cars. I haven't even filled up my tank yet, but aside from that I still am glad I got this little thing instead of anything bigger. The roads out in the country here are downright treacherous and you absolutely need a car you can place 100% confidently. Even something a Corolla's size would be a little ponderous. I can't even imagine how those folks with big Audis and Benzes manage. There is never a time I drive this car that I don't appreciate its nature. And I can sit behind myself in relative comfort (I am a standard size American male).

Only real gripe is the damn motor. Gotta keep it on the boil on steep mountain roads, and my throttle blipping calibration is still set to "motorcycle" so downshifts with the vague ass clutch are choppy. The combo of slow revs + bigger gear ratio gaps require outright WOT stomps to get the blip necessary between 3rd and 2nd for example. I am going to go ahead and say if I ever come back to the mountains out in Western Europe I'm gonna try and get a turbo diesel. It works though.

I really feel for the typical Americans who come out here. There was a lady at the car rental station who was FRANTICALLY going from booth to booth trying to find a car with an automatic transmission. Welcome to Europe lady :evildude:

Twingo? I thought you had a Punto.

And To be fair, I keep reading that the Twingo plays second fiddle to pretty much everything else in the segment, except maybe the Spark. Seems like Panda, Ka, Picanto, i10 and AYGO beat it up.

And the lady looking for an automatic transmission sounds absolutely hilarious. Did she find one? Did she give up and cry.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2012, 06:04:19 AM
And To be fair, I keep reading that the Twingo plays second fiddle to pretty much everything else in the segment, except maybe the Spark. Seems like Panda, Ka, Picanto, i10 and AYGO beat it up.

Beat it up?  I don't think so...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28068.msg1778651#msg1778651 date=1347628218
Beat it up?  I don't think so...

Quit bringing up that stupid sports model, not what we're talking about.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2012, 07:28:45 AM
Quit bringing up that stupid sports model, not what we're talking about.

You mean the awesome sports model?  Reasonably priced, quick, fun?  It's the one we should be talking about.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Using the RS to justify the whole lineup is like saying the Lancer is great cause of the Evo lmao