2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 20, 2014, 02:18:11 PM
I hope you first start by changing the filter and fluid, I'm sure that has never been done.

I do that first thing when I buy used cars. motor and transmission.
Will

2o6

Ok, just found out what it needs, and ordered parts accordingly

Master cylinder - front right caliper isn't getting any pressure, discovered master cylinder isn't pushing anything to it. Right has new caliper.

Tie rods ( outer)

Sway bar links

Car looks like it has had a new engine put into it really recently

Seafoam only confirmed the trans is out, probably a burnt clutch on reverse or something

Small exhaust leak.

Parts from Rock auto are only $130, plus another 150 for the tranny.

Were pretty well on track

2o6

Cost breakdown

Car - $800

Parts (so far) - $130

Trans - $150

Other assorted work we can't or don't want to do (alignment, exhaust leak) - $200 ish maybe

List price - $3250

Other assorted fees, tax, registration - $100

Potential profit - about 2k ish

Laconian

Any "value-adds" you can do while you're at it? Portholes, tinting, etc...

Usually I see that stuff on the very low end cars. Maybe somebody would pay extra for it?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Why the hell would you think someone wants that? That would provide no return, and most people around here just want a nice, reliable cheap runabout.

2o6

2o6

I'm going to take off those hubcaps, too. I feel like they're dragging the value of the car down

FlatBlackCaddy

Make sure you factor in time, it's not just initial cost and parts cost. You should(or i would) figure trying to get atleast 30 dollars an hour for your labor. So while 2K profit(over initial cost and parts) is good, it isn't too good if you spend 2 whole weeks dicking with it.

I'm sure you figured that, but I was just pointing it out. I talk to people on a daily basis that don't ever factor in their labor. Even though you aren't "Paying" yourself it certainly isn't free. Especially if you are doing this to make money. That has to be one of the top 2 reasons that people who get into reselling/repairing cars never end up better than they started.

2o6

It's not like I'm taking off work to work on this thing.

It shouldn't be too bad, honestly

mzziaz

Who's doing all the work? I have a hunch you aren't able to swap a tranny by yourself.
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

Quote from: mzziaz on March 21, 2014, 08:15:08 AM
Who's doing all the work? I have a hunch you aren't able to swap a tranny by yourself.

Why wouldn't I be?

Besides, my friend is helping, he put an engine in a Corolla last week.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 20, 2014, 08:26:17 PM
Any "value-adds" you can do while you're at it? Portholes, tinting, etc...

Usually I see that stuff on the very low end cars. Maybe somebody would pay extra for it?

LOL

People put that on their own car but don't want to buy a car that has that already on it.
Will

AutobahnSHO

I get what you're saying FBC, Kevin is doing this as a 'side gig' and I don't expect he'll do it all his life. I wish I had the skills to do it too!  People make some incredibly dumb car choices- like once they start spending money on a 6-9yr old car they get rid of it because it's a "money pit".

On the contrary, it's generally cheaper to finish fixing that car up (and drive it another 5years) than to get an unknown history car (or new car)...

Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 21, 2014, 08:21:24 AM
I get what you're saying FBC, Kevin is doing this as a 'side gig' and I don't expect he'll do it all his life. I wish I had the skills to do it too!  People make some incredibly dumb car choices- like once they start spending money on a 6-9yr old car they get rid of it because it's a "money pit".

On the contrary, it's generally cheaper to finish fixing that car up (and drive it another 5years) than to get an unknown history car (or new car)...

I feel like this guy threw parts at this car, then gave up. The engine/radiatior is clearly new.....it has pretty good tires (albeit no-name Chinese ones), and the interior is beautiful, and the exterior is pretty nice as well.

I mean, the potential profit from this car is literally the amount I make in a month at my job. Even at a quarter of that, that's a week's pay - well worth it for a broke college student. I could pay the Yaris wayy down, and get rid of my car payment.

mzziaz

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2014, 08:17:41 AM

Why wouldn't I be?

Besides, my friend is helping, he put an engine in a Corolla last week.

Because you lack the experience.
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

FoMoJo

Quote from: mzziaz on March 21, 2014, 08:41:00 AM

Because you lack the experience.
He has a hell of lot of energy though and doesn't waste any time.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

So what do you guys propose I do? Sit around and bitch about how hard it might be or how inexperienced I am, or get out there and do something?

hotrodalex

Can't get experience unless you actually do it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2014, 10:09:20 AM
So what do you guys propose I do? Sit around and bitch about how hard it might be or how inexperienced I am, or get out there and do something?
Exactly :ohyeah:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 21, 2014, 10:09:49 AM
Can't get experience unless you actually do it.

This. It's not like this is my only car and I need it to get to school....

Besides, my mechanic friend is the main one helping me

FlatBlackCaddy

I've learned a great deal just by doing it. Sure, you want to read up a bit but other than that nothing is the same as taking the task on and doing it.

If I don't know how to do it, I'll learn. I'm not going to pay anybody to do anything that I can learn to do.

Also my comment about the hourly thing was not said in reference to doing this for a living. If your doing it even to make a few bucks on the side you want to make it worth your while. Don't spend a bunch of time doing it and then realizing that you are only making 5 bucks an hour. Might as well go and watch TV if that's the case.

I've always done mine because I was fixing the car for me. I somewhat enjoyed it and then would get to drive an interesting or fun car(to me) for a few months and sell it. Just about every time I was lucky enough to make a few thousand dollars. Now the market is so bad and used/wrecked cars are going for way more than they are worth(IMO). I'm pretty much done doing it because when your all said and done you might make just enough to pay yourself minimum wage and get a ton of headaches. Atleast in this area this has been the case for the past 5 years.

JWC

I have never counted my time on flipping a car or camera. I would count my time if I were working on it for someone else, but the profit I get, even if it is only $5/hr is more than I had before.  Unlike a real part-time job, I can determine my own hours. And, the more experienced gained, the less time it will take on the next one.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2014, 08:25:49 AM
I feel like this guy threw parts at this car, then gave up.

Very very common.  Sometimes people replace 3/4 of the "normal wear at that mileage" parts then decide to ditch the car.
Will

Rupert

It's like that last little thing that would make it a nice running car is just a little too much for them.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Add some Sugru. Pow, car will magically become all better.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on March 21, 2014, 10:02:13 PM
It's like that last little thing that would make it a nice running car is just a little too much for them.

Reason I can't sell my El Camino - too many parts still in the garage that could increase the value a bunch. But once I install the parts, I'd have much less reason to sell the car.

FlatBlackCaddy

The best one I ever came across was an early 90's Infiniti Q45t.

The car was spotless with low miles, sitting at a dealer auction listed as a donation. I checked it out, jump started it and it sounded good. So I bid on it and got it for about 900 dollars(this was back in like 99-00).

So I get it home and start digging around. The glove box was full of receipts:

A towing receipt, a new battery receipt, another towing receipt, a accessory belt receipt, another towing and a few more battery receipts then finally a alternator receipt.

I checked under the hood and saw the accessory belt for the alternator missing.

Long story short this guy kept getting stranded and throwing money at the problem. Turned out the Idler pulley for the alternator accessory belt was froze. It would throw belts and cause charging issues. Popped it off, pressed a 5 dollar bearing in it and threw it back together and detailed it. Drove it for a few months(fun car, alot of power probably underrated by 20-40HP) then ended up selling it for 4500 bucks.

Some people just give up, I(and my brother) used to look for nice upscale brands that were labeled donations. Most of those people just reached a breaking point and dumped a nice car with little wrong with it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Flipping can certainly be alot of fun.