2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

2o6

This Jetta is turning into a big ass game of telephone.

I sold it to an ex (sort of)'s friend. Mistake number one.

Car drove fine when I dropped it off. Now it's showing similar symptoms. Initially, I was going to offer to buy it back, but they were adamant that they wanted to fix it themselves (whilst being very rude towards me). Actual owner isn't telling me anything, I'm just hearing second hand from my "ex".

I am sending my mechanic up there to check it out, it's an hour one way, and my "ex" thinks it's a bad idea. I aint' heard shit from the actual owner of the car. To cut the middle man out, I sent my mechanic the guy's number, so they can make arrangements, but the "ex" is telling him to be evasive and standoffish.

Meanwhile, my "ex" is trying to talk to me and be all coy and sexy, etc. and I'm not here for it.

I offer him $750 of his money back - i'd lose on the Jetta, but $750 should be more than enough to diagnose and fix whatever the Jetta needs.

They don't seem to be solution oriented and I'm tempted to tell them to kiss my ass. But I don't like doing that, selling people shitty cars is not what I want to do.

Fuck VW's.

2o6

UPDATE:

He took the $750 I offered.

I lost $250 on this Jetta.

Gotta-Qik-C7

SEEMS LIKE IT WAS A GAME TO GET MONEY BACK! I would've had to see at least a video of the car running funny!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Picked this up today:

2010 Dodge Journey SXT (3.5L, FWD, 5-passenger)

112K.

Verdict - Car was run hot with zero coolant. Owner drove hot until the car shut off. Will need new engine. Heads are likely warped.

Purchase price $1400

Tax title registration - ~150

Engine - $900

T-belt kit - $130

Coolant reservoir - $50

Labor - Probably closer to $1000. I offered to pay more since it's a Dodge and my mechanic usually does Hondas. It's also a V6 anyways.

Total invested - $3700 ish

KBB value $5750 for "very good".

Projected profit - $2000 ish.

Gotta-Qik-C7

My friend has one of those! I drove the thing to Columbus last year (No Cruise Control) and I hated it!

AutobahnSHO

They are fairly handsome for an average vehicle but I'm guessing not great handling etc...
Will

ifcar

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 03, 2017, 10:41:33 PM
My friend has one of those! I drove the thing to Columbus last year (No Cruise Control) and I hated it!

Without cruise control, it was probably a base model with the four-cylinder -- surely much more lethargic than the V6 version. It's not a light car.

2o6

also, man this guy definitely has small kids. I'm gonna need to do a detail.

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 04, 2017, 05:01:47 AM
They are fairly handsome for an average vehicle but I'm guessing not great handling etc...

They're not super great, fuel economy isn't great and obviously quality and longevity aren't the strong suits. But it's got good interior room, and if you get a 7 passenger model (mine isn't) the 3rd row is usable for smaller adults.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2017, 08:28:43 AM

They're not super great, fuel economy isn't great and obviously quality and longevity aren't the strong suits. But it's got good interior room, and if you get a 7 passenger model (mine isn't) the 3rd row is usable for smaller adults.

A buddy at work was buying one- he went on and on about the storage under the seats. But then his loan wasn't approved or something and he took it back 2 days later.   :confused:

They're popular enough, you should be able to unload it without more than the usual hassle.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: ifcar on April 04, 2017, 07:03:01 AM
Without cruise control, it was probably a base model with the four-cylinder -- surely much more lethargic than the V6 version. It's not a light car.
You got it right! She purchased it from Enterprise dirt cheap. I still wouldn't have spent one red cent on it......

2o6

So, weird things happened with the Scion.

I had just washed it and taken pics of it to get the listing up. I pressure washed off all the plastidip. It was a good looking car.

Until, a contractor wasn't paying attention to me and backed into me while I was stopped at a stop sign. His Diesel F350, King Ranch did a bit of damage on the side of the car. (At least $2500 worth, which would likely total out the car, despite the car being 100% drive-able)

Well, he doesn't want to put it on his Commercial Insurance. I mentioned I was selling it, and just go make it disappear (he owns a construction company) he agreed to just straight up buy the car off of me just to make it disappear and not pop up on his commercial insurance.

2o6

I also realize I could probably get more by going thru insurance and letting them total out the car, but to be honest I have no interest in fighting and waiting. Also I put a lot of time in this car, and it runs so well. Even if I bought it back and sold it again, it would be worth about $1500 now. Which is a shame.

mzziaz

At least you got to sell it
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 12, 2017, 04:27:54 PM
Final numbers?

Purchase Price - $1200

Engine Price - $1100

Tax/Title/Resigstration - $120

Install - $500

Rear brake pads - $30

Rear trunk bezel - $~70

Total invested - ~$3020

Settlement reached with guy who backed into me - $4000

Profit - $980.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on April 12, 2017, 04:42:17 PM
Purchase Price - $1200

Engine Price - $1100

Tax/Title/Resigstration - $120

Install - $500

Rear brake pads - $30

Rear trunk bezel - $~70

Total invested - ~$3020

Settlement reached with guy who backed into me - $4000

Profit - $980.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on April 11, 2017, 09:56:36 AM
So, weird things happened with the Scion.

I had just washed it and taken pics of it to get the listing up. I pressure washed off all the plastidip. It was a good looking car.

Until, a contractor wasn't paying attention to me and backed into me while I was stopped at a stop sign. His Diesel F350, King Ranch did a bit of damage on the side of the car. (At least $2500 worth, which would likely total out the car, despite the car being 100% drive-able)

Well, he doesn't want to put it on his Commercial Insurance. I mentioned I was selling it, and just go make it disappear (he owns a construction company) he agreed to just straight up buy the car off of me just to make it disappear and not pop up on his commercial insurance.

Ouch; could have been worse, of course. Did he give any indication of what he wants to do with the car? I imagine find someone to re-sell it to? Or maybe a slightly crumpled reward for his kid finally getting a C average?

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on April 12, 2017, 08:24:34 PM
Ouch; could have been worse, of course. Did he give any indication of what he wants to do with the car? I imagine find someone to re-sell it to? Or maybe a slightly crumpled reward for his kid finally getting a C average?

Well he said he's prolly gonna let a workmate drive it for awhile until he gets his truck repaired.

Then it'll go to his 18 year old son

But looks like this car ended a marriage, the guy's wife wasn't happy with him buying it. They started arguing, and she revealed she's fucking her ex!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on April 13, 2017, 07:39:03 AM

Well he said he's prolly gonna let a workmate drive it for awhile until he gets his truck repaired.

But looks like this car ended a marriage, the guy's wife wasn't happy with him buying it. They started arguing, and she revealed she's fucking her ex!

:confused:     

You should write a book and/or blog about the funz you are having.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on April 13, 2017, 07:39:03 AM

Bitches.........

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

2o6

This Dodge is pissing me off.

So I usually go to one scrapyard in particular (these scrapyards get insurance auction cars, not anything off the street, so it's tested running), and the first motor they gave me was out of time. Timing mark was a lil off, and when you tried to turn it by hand, it wouldn't crank anything more than 1/2 a rotation. Valve collision? Seized/low oil? Who knows. I brought the motor back and they tried to say its my fault, etc, but they eventually brought it back and gave me another one. This one turned by hand just fine, and physically the motor looked better than the one they initially gave me.

Mechanic installs it, (it's not an easy install, you have to pull the steering rack and subframe and everything is a tight fit)

Starts it up and this

https://youtu.be/oGGG-jCkw20

And to add insult to injury, when I called the yard this morning, they really once again tried to say it's my fault, and they want me to drive it in so they can "take a look". That car won't make it a half mile before it throws a rod. Clearly it's not getting oil, and it sounds like it's never had oil.

UGGGG

I should have went to LKQ.

My friends who also flip cars have also been getting screwed over, no matter the brand. Friend got a 1.6L for a 2010 Kia Soul, and it had no compression. Another friend got a D17 Honda motor for a Civic (2004, no VTEC) and it had a blown head gasket. Another friend got screwed over with a Mazda 6 this week, so IDFK what they're doing. It sounds like they're not verifying things when they give them back.

2o6

Owner of scrapyard won't be in until monday.

2o6

I finally got that rectified, and the Journey is running.

Running costs at the moment

Purchase price - $1400

Engine - $950

Tax/Title/Registration - $125

Labor (Alignment, AC recharge, new engine, timing belt) - $1000

Timing belt kit - $105

Detail - $125

New radio? It worked fine when I got it, but it looks like the 6-disc player is broken.  Maybe $70?

Total Invested ~$3750.

Going for the junkyard to get them me to pay partial labor for the Dodge probably won't happen. The labor is high because my mechanic basically had to do this engine swap TWICE.

KBB Value ~$6000.

Potential profit - $2k ish.

ifcar

12,000 RPM

You have a much bigger appetite for risk than I do. Good luck
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs