2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

giant_mtb

Indeed. I don't have the mechanic hookup he has, which would be the major issue. 

2o6

My mechanic isn't even a "Hookup". You can find indie guys all over craigslist who will put a motor in a car for $400+.

Quote from: MrH on April 05, 2018, 06:42:00 AM
Kevin has a magician as a mechanic that works at a crazy speed for cheap prices.  Unless you're like that dude, I would be hesitant to jump in.  Kevin also picks cars he knows really well.  I'm shocked how well he's done picking which cars to buy.  The Journey might be the only loss in this whole group?  Or the CTS?  All the Toyotas and Hondas have been flipped for a substantial profit really quick.

I made $1200 on the CTS, and $200 on the Journey.

I lost money on the most recent VW Jetta, and the Honda CR-V from a long time ago.

Also, too many people think you can buy a car that "needs a few things" and limp it home. The vast majority of my cars do not run when I buy them.

giant_mtb

There is one and only one ad on the local CL (which is the entire UP) for a mechanic.  Seems legit enough.

https://up.craigslist.org/aos/d/trusted-mechanic-and/6533473213.html

But yeah, you make good profit on your cars because they have those major issues that cause people to let go of the vehicle for nice and cheap, leaving you room for profit.  A car that needs brakes and wheel bearings isn't gonna have the same margin for sure.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on April 05, 2018, 08:45:17 AM
My mechanic isn't even a "Hookup". You can find indie guys all over craigslist who will put a motor in a car for $400+.

I made $1200 on the CTS, and $200 on the Journey.

I lost money on the most recent VW Jetta, and the Honda CR-V from a long time ago.

Also, too many people think you can buy a car that "needs a few things" and limp it home. The vast majority of my cars do not run when I buy them.

Are you still using that Honda tech?  Does he want to change an S2000 clutch for cheap? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on April 05, 2018, 10:18:41 AM
Are you still using that Honda tech?  Does he want to change an S2000 clutch for cheap? :lol:

Do it yourself.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Benchpressing a transmission in & out of the car is a good workout.

giant_mtb

There was a high-lift 2-stage transmission jack left at the shop when I bought it. It works, but I don't have a lift, so it's pretty useless to me.  Just takes up space, but I don't feel like getting rid of it...just in case. If someone offered me like $100 on the spot I might take it though.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Another one:

2006 Honda Civic LX, automatic, 1.8L. 171K miles.

The body is OK, the paint on these cars likes fading, but this one looks good. The rear bumper needs to be rehung, and I'm debating on getting a new front bumper cover.

The car *runs* but it suffers from the common-on-this-model ill-casted engine block issues that early cars suffer from. Honda has an unlimited mile 10 year warranty to replace these, but with this car now being 12 years, it's not eligible. So basically, it runs, but it won't hold coolant. I tried to limp it home, but I got maybe 1/3 of the way to my mechanic when I had to pull over and call a tow truck.

KBB puts it at $3800 for "good" condition. I'm aiming for $3500.

Purchase price: $800.

giant_mtb

What's the fix for the coolant issue?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2018, 08:50:01 PM
What's the fix for the coolant issue?

A new engine. The whole block has cracks in it.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

AutobahnSHO

I saw an Outback here on Craigslist "worth $10k" that needs a new engine- selling for $3k.

I mean, sure you could tow it and pay for a new motor and probably only be out $5-6k. But seems like a lot of hassle, unless you're familiar with the process and as savvy as it as Kevin is...
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 08, 2018, 08:51:00 AM
I saw an Outback here on Craigslist "worth $10k" that needs a new engine- selling for $3k.

I mean, sure you could tow it and pay for a new motor and probably only be out $5-6k. But seems like a lot of hassle, unless you're familiar with the process and as savvy as it as Kevin is...

If it's just a new engine, you could probably do it for $2-3k (assuming you don't have an engine guy like Kevin does)

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 08, 2018, 10:56:47 AM
If it's just a new engine, you could probably do it for $2-3k (assuming you don't have an engine guy like Kevin does)

Subaru engines are expensive.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on May 08, 2018, 11:03:47 AM
Subaru engines are expensive.

I got my (97) Legacy's motor replaced in 2012. When I first talked to a guy he said no problem, they were cheap. But later he said the price had been creeping up and he had some difficulty getting one for a lower price. I paid $2200 after taxes and all. It was a little tuner shop that I was kinda hesitant, but he did good work.

In 2016 we got (05) Impreza's motor swapped out, the dummies at Subaru Augusta GA didn't diagnosed head gaskets and it kept over heating. I was so mad!!!  Car only had 75k miles on it.  Dealership wanted $8k to do it, I think we spent under $3k and the guy said there was a guarantee on the engine for a year.

In both cases they swapped out the timing built, waterpump, any other belts that looked sketchy.
Will

CaminoRacer

$8k for an engine swap? Goodness. You could almost LS swap it for that much.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 08, 2018, 11:33:14 AM
$8k for an engine swap? Goodness. You could almost LS swap it for that much.

Yeah, dealership prices. The motor was way expensive too, probably not a well-used one.
Will

2o6

Yeah, my mechanic definitely specializes in Hondas. I dropped the car off Monday. He started on it Tuesday. He sent me a text Wednesday evening around 9:30PM that it was running, and he had driven it.

Keep in mind, he works from 7:30-4PM. So he did most of this after work. So roughly....8 hours from removal to install?

MrH

Holy shit that dude is fast.

Ask him how much for an s2k clutch job!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on May 10, 2018, 09:07:58 AM
Holy shit that dude is fast.

Ask him how much for an s2k clutch job!

Lol he said hes done one before. Idk what he'd charge. I'd have to ask.

2o6

Alright - I picked up the Civic today.

The motor, transmission, and suspension all feel great!

The bad -

Those shitty wal-mart Weslake tires are all bald, and at least two of them have shifted belts. The car violently shimmys above 55MPH, and they all sound like death.

The interior is in worse shape than I remember. The guy was a roofer, so it's got lots of dust and literal nails in the car.

That bumper crack looks worse than I remembered.

giant_mtb

How does your detail guy price himself?  Does he charge more for shit like that?  I know what it's like to detail a vehicle used for work. Virtually every surface possible is coated in dust.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 10, 2018, 10:49:06 PM
How does your detail guy price himself?  Does he charge more for shit like that?  I know what it's like to detail a vehicle used for work. Virtually every surface possible is coated in dust.

I'm probably gonna pre clean this one

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on May 10, 2018, 10:59:44 PM

I'm probably gonna pre clean this one

You the real MVP.

2o6

Alright! This is the first flip I've had to do paint and body work, but I found a place in on a budget.

OK

$875 - Car, Tax, Title

$322 - Engine + tax

$573 - Labor Install + accessory belts and fluids

$67 - eBay Bumper Cover

$18 - eBay wheel well liner

$350 - brand new 205/55/16 tires (with warranty). The tires on the car were all balding, and 3/4 belts shifted. Horribly violent noise and shimmy above 45 MPH. Used tires for a tire this small and common aren't really that cheap. I figured "New tires" would be a selling point, and it was only like $75 more for new tires versus going to a used store.

$225 - Painting of front bumper, mounting of front bumper and fender liner, rehanging of rear bumper

$80 - Interior Detail

Total Invested ~$2500.

KBB - $3350 - 4500.

I'm aiming for a 1K profit.

It looks like nothing ever happened! The eBay bumper is definitely not as good as the OEM one, but for a cheap car with 171K, it looks fine.

Before:

After:

giant_mtb

Nice. Out of curiosity, do you use this money as income?  Save/invest it?  How do taxes work (or do you do it under the table)?

MexicoCityM3

Great job! Amazing improvement.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Wow. Big difference.

What the hell was in that trunk? That car was nasty
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited