My new car

Started by Laconian, September 16, 2012, 11:17:14 PM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Got my 30k service and detail done at Kirkland Infiniti. $961! And I got the cheapest service package too! Jesus. Car does look good all waxed and polished though. Also got the AT reprogrammed (a big improvement) and they solved most of the interior squeak/rattle issues as each had a TSB save for the the squeaky console ("yes, we get that complaint unfortunately that's just how these car are").

Laconian

I'm curious about the AT reprogramming. I have felt that shifting "surge" under low speed/low throttle conditions.

I bet my car is ten times as squeakier as yours. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 09, 2012, 08:48:19 PM
Got my 30k service and detail done at Kirkland Infiniti. $961! And I got the cheapest service package too! Jesus. Car does look good all waxed and polished though. Also got the AT reprogrammed (a big improvement) and they solved most of the interior squeak/rattle issues as each had a TSB save for the the squeaky console ("yes, we get that complaint unfortunately that's just how these car are").
Why the hell would you get a dealer to do the detail job?  It's so much cheaper to get it done elsewhere and it would be as good or better.  $350 got me an interior and exterior detail and a wax.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 09, 2012, 08:50:23 PM
I'm curious about the AT reprogramming. I have felt that shifting "surge" under low speed/low throttle conditions.

I bet my car is ten times as squeakier as yours. ;)

The TB I found was ITB12-027; applies only to 2010 - 2010 G37 though. Perhaps there is an analogous TSB for the 2009. Made a big difference.

My tires are near the wear bars so that contributes to the interior issues (rougher ride) too I imagine. The 2012 G37x loaner had only 5k miles and had a noticeably smoother and quieter ride (same exact tires, just ~25k fewer miles).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 09, 2012, 09:24:13 PM
The TB I found was ITB12-027; applies only to 2010 - 2010 G37 though. Perhaps there is an analogous TSB for the 2009. Made a big difference.

My tires are near the wear bars so that contributes to the interior issues (rougher ride) too I imagine. The 2012 G37x loaner had only 5k miles and had a noticeably smoother and quieter ride (same exact tires, just ~25k fewer miles).
There is no TSB for the transmission in the 2009.  My dealer looked it up the last time I was in.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on October 09, 2012, 09:13:30 PM
Why the hell would you get a dealer to do the detail job?  It's so much cheaper to get it done elsewhere and it would be as good or better.  $350 got me an interior and exterior detail and a wax.

Ha, ha! My detail was $250. One-stop shopping FTW + dealer gives me a "free" loaner too.

giant_mtb

Holy hell, I need to move wherever you are so I can start making $350 for that...

TurboDan

Why the hell would you get a dealer to do the detail job?

I'm wondering why he'd go to a dealership for a "service" in the first place. If the car ain't broke, what's the point in fixing it? VW used to notify me of a new "service" that cost almost $1,000 like every month. Never bothered with it.

I can see if it's complimentary within warranty, or something like that. Otherwise I'd rather save my money for when something actually needs to be repaired.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 09, 2012, 09:27:09 PM
Ha, ha! My detail was $250. One-stop shopping FTW + dealer gives me a "free" loaner too.
Good deal.  Mine included a full interior detail, shampoo, and leather treatment, touching up all the rock chips, wax job, and engine detail. 

So what was the other $711 for?

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on October 09, 2012, 09:55:52 PM
I'm wondering why he'd go to a dealership for a "service" in the first place. If the car ain't broke, what's the point in fixing it? VW used to notify me of a new "service" that cost almost $1,000 like every month. Never bothered with it.

I can see if it's complimentary within warranty, or something like that. Otherwise I'd rather save my money for when something actually needs to be repaired.

Uh, cars need periodic "service" - fluids, filters, etc.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on October 09, 2012, 10:21:58 PM
Good deal.  Mine included a full interior detail, shampoo, and leather treatment, touching up all the rock chips, wax job, and engine detail. 

So what was the other $711 for?

30k service.

S204STi

Those are gravy services for the techs.  Loved getting those.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 09, 2012, 10:42:19 PM
30k service.
You paid $711 for the 30K service?  Jeebus dude.  They saw you coming.

Secret Chimp

This is the same guy who couldn't manage to do his own brakes on an Accord, I dunno why you all are surprised.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 09, 2012, 11:26:15 PM
This is the same guy who couldn't manage to do his own brakes on an Accord, I dunno why you all are surprised.

The only thing I'm surprised at is my inability to convey in written form the tedium of watching your learning on the wagon. Not trying to dissuade learning of course but you got quite a ways to go before you reach my (previous; I no longer work on cars obviously) level.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on October 09, 2012, 11:06:24 PM
You paid $711 for the 30K service?  Jeebus dude.  They saw you coming.

MakemesadSPIN. If you can't afford to maintain a G you shouldn't own one :(. If you're too cheap to have it done you need a more fulfilling life.

CJ

If I owned a G, it'd be the same story as it is now. I do the maintenance on my car to save money and have a nice afternoon working in the car. No harm in that. There's also no harm in going to the dealer to get this service done. He can afford it, so he did it. Great.

Raza

Quote from: CJ on October 10, 2012, 09:32:02 AM
If I owned a G, it'd be the same story as it is now. I do the maintenance on my car to save money and have a nice afternoon working in the car. No harm in that. There's also no harm in going to the dealer to get this service done. He can afford it, so he did it. Great.

It's still a lot of money for a basic service on a Nissan.  The only time I ever paid that much out on my Volkswagen was when something went wrong.  No scheduled maintenance was even close to that, let alone a relatively simple 30K mile service.  30K is still basically brand new.  Oil change, top up fluids, rotate tires, visual inspection...what else could it be?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

Air filters, maybe a transmission flush. I don't know. I agree, he spent a lot, but obviously thought it was worth it to him for the peace of mind.

Raza

Quote from: CJ on October 10, 2012, 09:38:40 AM
Air filters, maybe a transmission flush. I don't know. I agree, he spent a lot, but obviously thought it was worth it to him for the peace of mind.

Completely understand that; I got all my service done at a dealer and will likely continue to do so for that very reason.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

This was an Howell on the service writer's part. They get commission on what they 'sell'.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on October 10, 2012, 09:35:45 AM
It's still a lot of money for a basic service on a Nissan.  The only time I ever paid that much out on my Volkswagen was when something went wrong.  No scheduled maintenance was even close to that, let alone a relatively simple 30K mile service.  30K is still basically brand new.  Oil change, top up fluids, rotate tires, visual inspection...what else could it be?

Reach around
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 10, 2012, 08:33:19 AM
MakemesadSPIN. If you can't afford to maintain a G you shouldn't own one :(. If you're too cheap to have it done you need a more fulfilling life.
:lol:  Whatever helps you sleep at night man.  No service is worth $711, and just because you own a G doesn't mean you should be happy with getting hosed.  When I took my Ram in for it's 15,000 mile service and I had to get the 4x4 hubs serviced my total service including oil, filter, and fluids was $500.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on October 10, 2012, 08:33:19 AM

That was the line BMW owners would trot out when people would kvetch about the myriad and costly ways in which BMWs fail.

CJ

Quote from: SVT666 on October 10, 2012, 10:01:40 AM
:lol:  Whatever helps you sleep at night man.  No service is worth $711, and just because you own a G doesn't mean you should be happy with getting hosed.  When I took my Ram in for it's 15,000 mile service and I had to get the 4x4 hubs serviced my total service including oil, filter, and fluids was $500.

Depending on the person, peace of mind is absolutely worth $711.  It was worth $711 to him. 

Laconian

I did a troll-ectomy, see "what's the deal with dealers?" if you still feel the need to pile on.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Top Sometimes Down(TM)

Another nice benefit of a PRHT is that you can sneak in little bursts of top-down driving when the sun peeks out. With the Miata's HT, once it's on, it's on for the whole winter...

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 15, 2012, 02:26:06 PM
Top Sometimes Down(TM)

Another nice benefit of a PRHT is that you can sneak in little bursts of top-down driving when the sun peeks out. With the Miata's HT, once it's on, it's on for the whole winter...

Yeah, you just have to get stopped at one of those 5 minute red lights to put the top down and not get honked at. 

8.5 seconds, bitch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i