2006 Civic Review

Started by crv16, October 27, 2005, 06:34:05 AM

crv16

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/auto...ex.cfm?id=21035

Classic Honda nameplate rewrites rules for comfort, quality

We've come to expect this over and over again from Honda -- the redesign of a familiar nameplate winds up redefining its segment.

The all-new 2006 Civic sedan does exactly that, in establishing new benchmarks for comfort, quality and styling in the compact segment. It garnered fives from each of us and is on our short list for The Detroit News Car of the Year.

We tested a top-of-the-line Civic Sedan EX with no options and a sticker price of $18,810.

HE: My, how far Honda has come from that first Accord hatchback I bought back in 1976. I thought that was a pretty outstanding car -- but now it seems small and hopelessly primitive next to the 2006 Civic sedan. I wasn't sure how Honda could do much more than tweak a few things here and there while freshening the sheet metal and the cabin: But I was wrong. The new Civic pretty much walks away from the competition while raising the standard for everyone else.

SHE: That's nothing. I'm still stunned after sitting in our driveway in the new Civic. We were both amazed at how Honda seems to have rewritten different pieces of the car. Take the instrument panel. They've split the gauges into two, with the speedometer in an upper cluster, with a big digital readout, and the tachometer in the lower cluster, with a traditional analog readout. The cool thing is that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to see your speed, which seems like a vast improvement on some of the head-up displays we've tested.

HE: The attention to detail, in what used to be considered the "econobox" class, is remarkable. I love the little touches, like the black honeycomb insert in the steering wheel. The high quality of the materials is evident in the way they look and feel. Take the molded visors, which look like they belong on a luxury car, not an under-$20,000 compact. The build quality, needless to say, is exceptional, which is a nod not just to the Japanese designers and engineers, but to the American suppliers and the assembly workers at Honda's factory in East Liberty, Ohio.

SHE: While you're looking at the micro details, let me talk about the macro view. The new Civic sedan is 176.7 inches long and rides on a wheelbase of 106.3 inches. That translates into a smoother, more stable ride -- like that of a much larger car -- with lots more room inside, including the backseat, than you'd expect in a compact. And with Honda's recent safety initiative, the '06 Civic has one of the best safety packages in the class, with standard antilock brakes, side air bags and side curtain air bags.

HE: The Civic also shines in the powertrain department. I'd like a little more torque from the single-overhead-cam 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, but it makes an ample 140 horsepower and delivers an amazing 38 miles per gallon on the highway, according to the EPA. And the standard five-speed manual gearbox is one of the nicest we've tested in any segment, economy or luxury. It's buttery-smooth.

SHE: We haven't really talked about the outside of the Civic, which of course is also brand-new. It strikes just the right note between classic and cutting-edge. It's not quite as racy and out there as the new European Civics but much fresher than many of its competitors in North America. I was surprised by a few quirks, however. The folding rear seat is not split, which doesn't give it as much flexibility as I'd like to see. And the vanity mirrors on those fancy visors you talked about are not lighted. Go figure that omission. And there isn't much in the way of rear-seat amenities. You sit back there, you'll know you're riding in an economy car.

HE: Let's see, great styling, high quality, smooth ride, sweet powertrain, super mileage, excellent quality. And it costs less than $20,000. We're not talking about just a great economy car, the 2006 Civic is an outstanding product by almost any measure.

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX

Type: Front-engine, front-wheel drive, five-passenger sedan

Price: Base, $18,810 (inc. $550 destination charge); as tested, $18,810

Engine: 1.8-liter I-4; 140-hp; 128 lb-ft torque

EPA fuel economy: 30 mpg city/38 mpg highway

Where built: East Liberty, Ohio

Key competitors: Chevrolet Cobalt, Dodge Neon, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Spectra, Mazda3, Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Sentra, Saturn Ion, Suzuki Forenza, Toyota Corolla, Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Jetta

12-month insurance cost, according to AAA Michigan*: $1,609 (Estimate. Rates may be higher or lower, depending on coverage and driving record.)

Anita's rating:

Likes: Styling strikes just the right note between classic and cutting-edge. Nice upholstery with soft, chenille-like feel. Roomy upholstered trunk. Very comfortable ride. Easy to handle. At nearly-$19,000 price, this is still an excellent value.

Dislikes: Folding rear seat is not split. No rear-seat amenities. Unlighted vanity mirrors. It lacks stability control.

Paul's rating:

Likes: Redefines the compact car and sets new benchmarks for the segment. High-quality materials with good tactile feel, like molded visors. Great attention to detail, like tiny honeycomb insert in steering wheel. Buttery-smooth shifts with five-speed gearbox. Good engine power from 1.8L, with sensational gas mileage. Cool instrument panel, with big digital speedometer, analog tachometer. Ultra-long wheelbase improves high-speed stability, makes for roomier cabin.

Dislikes: No outside temp readout. Head hits ceiling in rear seat. Steering feels too isolated at higher speeds (over-assisted, not well-connected to road). Could use more torque.

1. Unacceptable, 2. Subpar, 3. Acceptable, 4. Above Average, 5. World Class
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

SaltyDog

Not exactly a comprehensive review, I'll take it for what it's worth.  But  :rockon:  to the gas mileage.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

so cal cookie

QuoteGood engine power from 1.8L, with sensational gas mileage. Cool instrument panel, with big digital speedometer, analog tachometer.
The fuel economy is one area where GM has a ways to go with the Cobalt.

Aren't these the same people who trashed GM for digital guages and odd dash designs?

crv16

I'm surprised no comprehensive reviews have come out yet.  Here the car has been out over a month and no reviews.

All the "reviews" to date have been rewritten versions of Honda PR material.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

MX793

QuoteI'm surprised no comprehensive reviews have come out yet.  Here the car has been out over a month and no reviews.

It takes at least a month for a story to make it to print, so don't be too surprised that you haven't seen much in the press.  I would expect to see more comprehensive reviews by December or January.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SaltyDog

C/D hasn't done an economy comparo in a while IIRC.  This might be a good time.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

crv16

QuoteI'm surprised no comprehensive reviews have come out yet.  Here the car has been out over a month and no reviews.

It takes at least a month for a story to make it to print, so don't be too surprised that you haven't seen much in the press.  I would expect to see more comprehensive reviews by December or January.
Manufacturers usually deliver pre-production models to reviewers well ahead of release dates in order to have reviews coincide with the release of the car.

I suspect Honda didn't do that in order to not depress demand for the remaining '05 civic stock.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

ifcar

Wow, it's under $20,000. What a steal. :rolleyes:

Look at what comparably-equipped competitors cost.

ifcar

QuoteI'm surprised no comprehensive reviews have come out yet.  Here the car has been out over a month and no reviews.

You missed http://www.ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.s...ns.8thplace.htm.  ;)  

giant_mtb

They both gave it a World Class rating...is it really that good?  <_<  Don't bash me 'cause I "obviously didn't read the article", because I did.  

ifcar

It's a great car, but distressingly expensive. And unlike the Mazda3 or VW Jetta, the only similarly-expensive competitors, it is only a great economy car instead of a "premium compact".