Radar/lidar detectors?

Started by Laconian, September 22, 2012, 01:25:10 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on September 25, 2012, 01:42:21 AM
Wow, it took almost no time at all for this thread to turn into Penthouse For Dazzleman. :lol:

Kevin, it might be worth figuring out what your local departments use if you haven't already (RADAR, LiDAR, instant-on, whatever else). Most of the recent testing I've seen says that by the time you can detect LiDAR, it's too late.

Penthouse for Dazzleman -- that's a good one, Psilos.. :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2012, 01:31:57 PM
Because lidar is a straight-line beam rather than a spreading wave, there is a much smaller area over which a lidar detector will pick it up, meaning that the warning that comes, if at all, will be much shorter.

Cops around here seem to use lidar a lot.  My last ticket was lidar rather than radar.

The last time you got a ticket, it was for not having a runner in front of the automobile with flags and an oil lantern to warn the horses; there weren't no LiDAR!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on October 01, 2012, 01:20:15 AM
The last time you got a ticket, it was for not having a runner in front of the automobile with flags and an oil lantern to warn the horses; there weren't no LiDAR!
:lol: :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CJ

Seriously.  You encourage us to get tickets, yet where's yours?  Get busy, geezer. 

dazzleman

Quote from: CJ on October 01, 2012, 10:45:05 AM
Seriously.  You encourage us to get tickets, yet where's yours?  Get busy, geezer. 

I've been trying so hard, with no luck.  That's what happens when you get older.... :cry:

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 11:19:40 AM
I've been trying so hard, with no luck.  That's what happens when you get older.... :cry:

Do a burnout in a police station parking lot.  Guarantee you'll get a ticket.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28148.msg1787161#msg1787161 date=1349115274
Do a burnout in a police station parking lot.  Guarantee you'll get a ticket.

Are you speaking from experience?  :evildude:

CJ

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 11:19:40 AM

Work harder.

dazzleman

Quote from: CJ on October 01, 2012, 04:41:44 PM

Work harder.

You're right.  I'm ashamed of how long it has been.  Same thing with all my friends.  I can't think of the last time most of my friends have gotten tickets.  For me, speeding is a way to act young.

CJ

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 04:45:49 PM
You're right.  I'm ashamed of how long it has been.  Same thing with all my friends.  I can't think of the last time most of my friends have gotten tickets.  For me, speeding is a way to act young.

Do it.  Go now and fucking do it, you old piece of shit. 

:lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: CJ on October 01, 2012, 05:01:29 PM

Do it.  Go now and fucking do it, you old piece of shit. 

:lol:

Haha, now isn't the best time.  Too much rush hour traffic out there.  Saturday or Sunday morning is the best.  My best drive ever was from Washington DC up here on a Sunday morning once.  Man, I was flying.  The fact that there were cops out there, but that they were always busy with other customers when I went by, made it even more fun than if I hadn't seen a cop.  But I slipped through the net and got no tickets, despite my best efforts.  That's how it's been for going on 14 years now.  I almost hope I get one, just to confirm that I'm not too old for it.  :frown:

Cookie Monster

Dave, go get a literbike and blast through traffic at 150+ mph.

Sure way to get a ticket (and probably a ticket to the mortuary as well).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 05:06:50 PM
Dave, go get a literbike and blast through traffic at 150+ mph.

Sure way to get a ticket (and probably a ticket to the mortuary as well).

That's a bit much for me.  I want to stay safe.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on October 01, 2012, 05:54:26 PM
NO! Really?!

Well, you think I have other reasons, but it's really just a way to fight aging and stay fun, rather than be old and staid.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 12:58:55 PM
Are you speaking from experience?  :evildude:

Well, I do do a hard 5-2 high rev downshift exiting a 90 degree turn where a police station is on the corner.  I have high confidence that I'll be over the state line before they get off their considerable doughnut fed asses and into their aging Crown Victorias if they ever decide to do something about it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28148.msg1787673#msg1787673 date=1349146415
Well, I do do a hard 5-2 high rev downshift exiting a 90 degree turn where a police station is on the corner.  I have high confidence that I'll be over the state line before they get off their considerable doughnut fed asses and into their aging Crown Victorias if they ever decide to do something about it. 
:rockon:

hotrodalex

Could have gotten a ticket on Saturday when I went driving through the mountains. Was flying down the switchbacks and only slowed down because I caught up to a pick up truck. A couple minutes later we passed a cop chillin on the side of the road.

Not sure how fast I had been going, since I was busy paying attention to the road, but I'm assuming I was speeding quite a bit. First time I contemplated getting a radar detector. Hard to spot a cop on a switchback. Although I'm not sure if a detector would have helped. I don't think he was actively radaring anyone.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 02, 2012, 01:29:47 AM
Could have gotten a ticket on Saturday when I went driving through the mountains. Was flying down the switchbacks and only slowed down because I caught up to a pick up truck. A couple minutes later we passed a cop chillin on the side of the road.

Not sure how fast I had been going, since I was busy paying attention to the road, but I'm assuming I was speeding quite a bit. First time I contemplated getting a radar detector. Hard to spot a cop on a switchback. Although I'm not sure if a detector would have helped. I don't think he was actively radaring anyone.

Can you afford another ticket?  I'm surprised you don't already have a radar detector.  You should find out if a ticket in Utah would show up on your Kentucky license.

VTEC_Inside

Its pretty much all laser herexand detectors are illegal.

Basically I see them at pretty much the same time the detector would let me know. I've pulled over 10ft past where cops were sitting, I think that surprises them, but hey when you're done, you're done.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Laconian

Laser jammers are legal in Washington State. Jammin'. :rockon:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT