Golf VII GTI

Started by Galaxy, September 27, 2012, 05:40:21 AM

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on September 29, 2012, 09:47:22 AM

Most people in their 20's didn't come from money.....

I don't consider myself as "coming from money" at all. There was just a lot of money to go around for a while, and people took advantage of it. Some of us were coming into a period where we were interested in cars during these times.

The bubble did burst, by the way, and a lot of that wealth was short-lived. My family probably fared a little better than some others in retaining it because my parents switched some of it from semiconductor/telecom stocks to real estate, but net worth went down significantly regardless.

AltinD

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2012, 07:22:32 AM
It's working for them.  My friend was about to buy a Camry, then he and his wife drove the Passat, and they both preferred it and bought that instead.  Japanizing it is getting them more sales.  Midsize sedans aren't really for enthusiasts anyway.  I mourn the loss of a fun Passat, but I understand it.  Sell more Passats, get better Golfs.

In North America .... but I don't live in North America

The US made Passat is sold here slightly more expensive then the lesser trim of the B6 offered here: The TSI with the 1.8T engine, same power BUT with DSG and of course a real German Passat. And from there wou could have jumped on the 2.0T, the V6 and the R36, while now people are stuck with the same lame engine and less available options then the B6 offered, both in tech and equipments and luxury.

So you have a car that is only bigger, is bloated, not really German, gives you not much choice of engines, trims and options .... and still not price competitive to the Camcords.

A lesser car for the same price? NO THANKS!

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

SVT666

The new Focus ST absolutely spanks the GTI in the new Road & Track.

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT666 on October 14, 2012, 01:52:50 AM
The new Focus ST absolutely spanks the GTI in the new Road & Track.

But that is the current VI GTI, not the VII correct?

MrH

Quote from: AltinD on September 30, 2012, 06:09:28 AM
In North America .... but I don't live in North America

The US made Passat is sold here slightly more expensive then the lesser trim of the B6 offered here: The TSI with the 1.8T engine, same power BUT with DSG and of course a real German Passat. And from there wou could have jumped on the 2.0T, the V6 and the R36, while now people are stuck with the same lame engine and less available options then the B6 offered, both in tech and equipments and luxury.

So you have a car that is only bigger, is bloated, not really German, gives you not much choice of engines, trims and options .... and still not price competitive to the Camcords.

A lesser car for the same price? NO THANKS!

"not really German"

Lol
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

I still don't get the psychology of the growth of midsizers. My bro's 06 Altima is cavernous, and the one that followed was even bigger. But still couldn't really sit 5 full grown adults in comfort for long distances. I'm glad that trend is dead.

2o6

Full size market died, though.

AltinD

Quote from: MrH on October 18, 2012, 11:28:12 AM
"not really German"

Lol

Yes, not really. It looks like Camcord, and is equipped like one. Thanks, but no thanks .... it will not be my next car, I don't do dullness.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Atomic

Nice car for sure... and I think Raza is right. That kind of thinking is what I got razed about when supporting Chrysler all these years... The return of the RWD, a modernized HEMI V8 and the SRT branded cars on sale at Chrysler dealerships after years of lesser offerings while GM and Ford disappointed us with their fullsize car lineup. Now will the heightened MPG figures change the direction at Chrysler? Another thing closer to the Golf GTI is the influence of the "Americanized" (and cheapened) Jetta that we may come to see across the line.

Char

Highs: VW faithful will love it, a very nice interior for the class, lighter and more powerful.

Lows: real enthusiast will hate it, looks ugly, will probably be overpriced.

Verdict: Same damn thing as a MK5/6. Call me when VW makes something worth a damn.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Galaxy

Quote from: Char on October 20, 2012, 08:27:45 AM
Call me when VW makes something worth a damn.

Pray tell, how would that look like?

Char

Quote from: Galaxy on October 20, 2012, 11:24:11 AM

Probably a BRZ, Genesis, Mustang V6 and all other cars I would have over this soon-to-be overpriced crapbox.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

It's a hot hatch, not a sports coupe.

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on October 20, 2012, 11:24:11 AM

Eh, he's just a hater.  Volkswagen makes some awesome cars (though fewer now than they did just a few years ago). 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Char

Nothing VW makes can be considered awesome if you actually enjoy driving your car.

MX793

Quote from: Char on October 21, 2012, 10:05:54 AM
Nothing VW makes can be considered awesome if you actually enjoy driving your car.

Have you ever driven a recent (mkV or newer) GTI?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2012, 10:12:45 AM
Have you ever driven a recent (mkV or newer) GTI?

Has he ever driven a VW.....ever?

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on October 21, 2012, 01:31:35 PM
Has he ever driven a VW.....ever?

I have, and I'm not impressed. And why should I be, the GTI was barely quicker than a SI is C/D lightning lap (which was abysmally slow?) I'm not talking about plaid seats, "DSG" (Automatic) that requires expensive flushes and an undefeatable traction control system, those don't entertain me. I know a few of you think you?re Fernando Alonso because you hustle your car around the neighborhood, but for some of us a hopped up Golf is not adequate, so you care about performance (and driving enjoyment), you?re not going to be looking at a GTI. Period.

Rich

Quote from: Char on October 21, 2012, 04:54:35 PM
I have, and I'm not impressed. And why should I be, the GTI was barely quicker than a SI is C/D lightning lap (which was abysmally slow?) I'm not talking about plaid seats, "DSG" (Automatic) that requires expensive flushes and an undefeatable traction control system, those don't entertain me. I know a few of you think you?re Fernando Alonso because you hustle your car around the neighborhood, but for some of us a hopped up Golf is not adequate, so you care about performance (and driving enjoyment), you?re not going to be looking at a GTI. Period.

You're such a lovely person.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

So you've never driven one?

Have you driven both? I have driven a Civic Si, it's an awesomely quick little car, and in Mugen guise it actually punches well above it's weight on the track (as does the GTI).

Char

No, it's obvious YOU haven't driven them.

Tell you what, post up a video of you doing a few Autocross runs in a GTI/SI; show me how competent they are.
Edit: Did you mention the almost 30k Mugen Civic Si? And what 30K cars does it outrun, a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry automatic? You are absolutely ridiculous.

2o6

I think you're the ridiculous one.

Char

But I'm not an idiot mouthing off without anything substantive to back up my comments.  :ohyeah: It's ok that you like the GTI, I don't and I listed specific reasons why. I was asked what cars I would rather drive than one, I named a few (to which you stated they weren?t hatchbacks. That wasn't part of the criteria). I don't like FWD, I don't like hatchbacks, and I don't like VW's shitty engineers, questionable reliability and I especially don't like the pretentious, douchebag customers.  If you?re fine with that, enjoy your new hipster-mobile.

2o6

I can tell we will all have a wonderful relationship here.

MX793

Quote from: Char on October 21, 2012, 05:11:25 PM
No, it's obvious YOU haven't driven them.

Tell you what, post up a video of you doing a few Autocross runs in a GTI/SI; show me how competent they are.
Edit: Did you mention the almost 30k Mugen Civic Si? And what 30K cars does it outrun, a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry automatic? You are absolutely ridiculous.

The guy who won the overall PAX in our region's autocross series was in a stock Civic Si.  This was against WRXs, Corvettes, Miatas, a Lotus Super7, a snowmobile-powered open-wheeler, a couple of 125cc karts...  He had the top PAX time in half of our events and never finished worse than 4th on the day.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2012, 06:00:11 PM
The guy who won the overall PAX in our region's autocross series was in a stock Civic Si.  This was against WRXs, Corvettes, Miatas, a Lotus Super7, a snowmobile-powered open-wheeler, a couple of 125cc karts...  He had the top PAX time in half of our events and never finished worse than 4th on the day.

To heck with PAX, I beat raw times of modified Vettes, WRXs, and most other things on DOT rubber in my base model 70-hp 4-speed Civic with $1700 worth of coilovers and tires. Miatas and Minis were evil, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

What car(s) do you drive?

Char

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2012, 06:00:11 PM
The guy who won the overall PAX in our region's autocross series was in a stock Civic Si.  This was against WRXs, Corvettes, Miatas, a Lotus Super7, a snowmobile-powered open-wheeler, a couple of 125cc karts...  He had the top PAX time in half of our events and never finished worse than 4th on the day.

PAX = Driver, not the car. But older Civics/Honda's are known to be excellent. The new ones not as much.
Quote from: GoCougs on October 21, 2012, 06:15:39 PM
What car(s) do you drive?
Slow boring appliances that I treat as such.
A Golf isn't a sports car, I don't even consider it a sporty car.

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 21, 2012, 06:24:26 PM
His mom's Mercury Villager.  :lol:

Only if he's done with his homework...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)