Golf VII GTI

Started by Galaxy, September 27, 2012, 05:40:21 AM

MexicoCityM3

If a 350/70Z drives similarly to the G37s coupe I tested the chassis, steering and handling would be fine (and above the GTI).

However, Raza's complaints are about the gearbox/tranny and the car I drove was an auto (which worked ok, although inferior to the latest 8-speed "feels like a DCT box" and inferior to say, a GTI's DSG). Maybe the manual in the Z sucks but I think it's more personal preference.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: 850CSi on October 24, 2012, 05:12:22 PM
Actually, the most interesting thing about this thread to me is that he has yet to respond to this accusation. :lol:

Right, because I've said it like three times. And he says he drives "Various main-streamers that I treat as such". I take that as "I drive my mom's Camry".

There's nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend you are so much better than everyone else, and you only drive your mom's Camry.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on October 24, 2012, 03:58:12 PM
Apropos fun base versions. Apparently the new base 114i is not that bad. More torque at 1100rpm then the Mini Cooper puts out at 4250rpm.

I've not driven the new 1-Series and I've not read to many reviews about them. It's a car that doesn't interest me.

But you did rouse my interest in the 114i so I checked it out and found a quick review about it from Focus.de. Looks like a decent economy model. I was expecting this car to be powered by the new 3-cylinder motor but it's a detuned 1.6-l 4-cylinder turbo motor...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Char

Quote from: TurboDan on October 24, 2012, 04:21:33 PM

The photos you posted are troll bait. Engines have been producing carbons since the day the internal combustion engine was invented. If you follow the proper oil recommendations and maintenance schedule there is no reason a TSI won't last forever. On most VW enthusiast boards, the consensus has been that the photos you posted may look alarming, but don't really mean anything in terms of reliability or performance.

I don't know how you pulled me back into this after I told myself I wouldn't respond, but I wanted to quickly correct you -
http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/blog/2010/11/technical-bulletin-is-the-valve-carbon-build-up-on-your-audi-or-volkswagen-something-to-be-concerned-about/

And yes excessive carbon build up will lower horsepower. Honest question here though, have you ever worked on a car outside of simple maintenance? Carbon build up like that is NOT normal. I wish I took pictures of my engine when I removed the exhaust manifold/Intake manifold. They were nearly spotless.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Galaxy

Carbon buildup on the valves is a problem that all direct injected engines suffer from to a degree, just take a look at older Toyota & Lexus direct injected cars. The problem results from the valves no longer being flushed with gasoline. There are several reasons why VW AG seems to be more affected. Firstly, while VW was not the first to implement DI, they were the first to crank out DI engines in the millions. Secondly VW used to use a very aggressive stratified injection method, that may have increased the problem.  

sportyaccordy

TSI engines get carbon build up, VQ35 has excessive oil consumption issues, to the point that they issued a TSB. If you buy a modern car odds are you will become a company's beta tester

Point still stands, GTI serves its purpose way better than a Z car, and with mild work can hang with even a modded Z car "performance wise" while being way more practical + cheaper to run

MrH

Yet another reason why the BRZ>GTI.  There's port and direct injection in the BRZ. :praise:  Hooray for no carbon build up.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 25, 2012, 06:57:30 AM
Yet another reason why the BRZ>GTI.  There's port and direct injection in the BRZ. :praise:  Hooray for no carbon build up.

Corolla coupe sucks.  Can't even fit an armoire in the trunk.  Also, you can't even get a roof rack on the BRZ.  How am I supposed to take my kayak up a mountain pass to my cabin?  At least under performance accessories on Subaru's BYO, they have not one, but five different license plate frames!  At least you can get a severe weather companion, which for the BRZ is just a friend with a cell phone who can call for an ambulance when you crash your BRZ because of light rain. 

:devil:  :lol:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2012, 07:25:13 AM
Corolla coupe sucks.  Can't even fit an armoire in the trunk.  Also, you can't even get a roof rack on the BRZ.  How am I supposed to take my kayak up a mountain pass to my cabin?  At least under performance accessories on Subaru's BYO, they have not one, but five different license plate frames!  At least you can get a severe weather companion, which for the BRZ is just a friend with a cell phone who can call for an ambulance when you crash your BRZ because of light rain. 

:devil:  :lol:

You sure talk up what a mountain man you are, but in actuality, you're more of a city dwelling fashionista.  We all know the truth.  Exactly why you'd want to buy an armoire in the first place. :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 25, 2012, 07:30:12 AM
You sure talk up what a mountain man you are, but in actuality, you're more of a city dwelling fashionista.  We all know the truth.  Exactly why you'd want to buy an armoire in the first place. :lol:

I need an armoire to keep my flannel shirts in at the cabin.  Duh.   :tounge:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on October 25, 2012, 06:57:30 AM

Plus it's RWD!

RWD = boner time! RWD impresses the ladies (Just whisper those words in their ear - they don't know what the fuck you're talking about but it'll turn them on!!!).  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Char

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 25, 2012, 06:40:15 AM
TSI engines get carbon build up, VQ35 has excessive oil consumption issues, to the point that they issued a TSB. If you buy a modern car odds are you will become a company's beta tester

Point still stands, GTI serves its purpose way better than a Z car, and with mild work can hang with even a modded Z car "performance wise" while being way more practical + cheaper to run
How do you come to a conclusion like this? Is the GTI potentially a more practical DD? Sure, I can agree with that, but does it mean it's a better car? No. Not even close. And I'd love to know what you consider "mild work" and "cheap" considering 350Zs are very inexpensive and a new GTI is in the 24K range.

And for Raza, I thought I was crazy, but I continued to read around about the Z car. Certainly I didn't agree with you, but the media and owners don't either. You're entitled to your opinion, so long as you realize it's such.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

I like the GTI. I'm finnding out that they're as cheap as my Yaris, now.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on October 25, 2012, 12:45:19 PM
I like the GTI. I'm finnding out that they're as cheap as my Yaris, now.

I don't, and I wouldn't buy one, no matter the price.  :huh:

2o6

I think that's foolish; every car has a place to be fun to drive.

You'd take a Ford Fiesta over a GTI? I like the Fiesta, it's a fun car. But it's no GTI.

Raza

Quote from: Char on October 25, 2012, 12:43:52 PM
And for Raza, I thought I was crazy, but I continued to read around about the Z car. Certainly I didn't agree with you, but the media and owners don't either. You're entitled to your opinion, so long as you realize it's such.

Yes, the 350Z has its fair share of supporters.  All of whom are idiots. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Well, there are forum links for pretty much any car where people have found a problem with it.

AltinD

Does the kind of fuel used (the octane), effects the amount of carbon build-up in the valves?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Galaxy

Quote from: AltinD on October 25, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
Does the kind of fuel used (the octane), effects the amount of carbon build-up in the valves?

Yes diesels do not have a problem.  :lol:

I don't know why, and it would be interesting to know. It might have to do with diesel self-combusting, and/or being very hard to vaporize. In that little diesel fumes would make it to recirculation. Maybe MX793, or someone could chime in.

But no, the type of fuel used apparently has no impact.

AltinD

But VW did have problems years back with their diesel engines, but I don't recall exactly what it was, I think cold weather related

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

MrH

I'm guessing higher exhaust temps?  They might be having problems with current diesels too.  Older diesels used a prechambers a lot of the time.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

850CSi

Quote from: Char on October 25, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
I don't, and I wouldn't buy one, no matter the price.  :huh:

bad troll is bad at trolling

Submariner

Quote from: Char on October 25, 2012, 12:43:52 PM
How do you come to a conclusion like this? Is the GTI potentially a more practical DD? Sure, I can agree with that, but does it mean it's a better car? No. Not even close. And I'd love to know what you consider "mild work" and "cheap" considering 350Zs are very inexpensive and a new GTI is in the 24K range.

So, uh, how old are you and what do you drive?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on October 25, 2012, 07:30:25 PM
So, uh, how old are you and what do you drive?

Like I said, Mercury Villager.

GoCougs

I like this Char guy. He's doing a good job at keeping you turkeys at bay - could use a bit more of that around here. The forced mob behavior is a bit unbecoming I might add.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2012, 09:47:47 PM
I like this Char guy. He's doing a good job at keeping you turkeys at bay - could use a bit more of that around here. The forced mob behavior is a bit unbecoming I might add.

Hon, you can't play both sides against the middle. Two pages ago, you hated him.

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on October 25, 2012, 02:32:28 PM
I'm guessing higher exhaust temps?

Maybe.

They might be having problems with current diesels too.  Older diesels used a prechambers a lot of the time.

However the majority switched over to DI several years before gassers did.

850CSi

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2012, 09:47:47 PM

People that say objectively stupid shit tend to mobilize other people against them.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on October 25, 2012, 10:03:29 PM
Hon, you can't play both sides against the middle. Two pages ago, you hated him.

I don't hate anyone.

GoCougs

Quote from: 850CSi on October 26, 2012, 08:55:02 AM
People that say objectively stupid shit tend to mobilize other people against them.

People by virtue of being new or of outlier option tend to mobilize other people against them too...