Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on October 06, 2013, 07:13:45 PM
My nephew keeps trying to talk me into an M5.  It may be too much money, and of course, gas and insurance will be more.

Your nephew clearly loves you and wants the best for you.

Seriously, I am in love with the looks of the current 5er. I wouldn't go for an M5 though, even more so since you won't track it. A 550i is plenty fast enough (it has 440hp now), even a 535i is fast enough. The 5er in general was recently face lifted and the steering was improved.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Blech.  Besides, if any of his coworkers saw him driving around in a lowly Chrysler, they'd think he is going through hard times and/or just had a lobotomy. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 07, 2013, 09:36:33 AM
Blech.  Besides, if any of his coworkers saw him driving around in a lowly Chrysler, they'd think he is going through hard times and/or just had a lobotomy.
I got pulled over in Dave neighborhood for not being in a new German car/Lexus/Infiniti

They would put him under surveillance

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 07, 2013, 10:10:36 AM
I got pulled over in Dave neighborhood for not being in a new German car/Lexus/Infiniti

I thought you were pulled over because you're black.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on October 07, 2013, 12:24:54 PM
But the SRT is badass.

Dave doesn't need badass, he needs comfortable and easy-to-use, with large print numbers on the speedometer, and loud speakers so he doesn't have to wear his hearing aid. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on October 07, 2013, 12:38:50 PM
Dave doesn't need badass, he needs comfortable and easy-to-use, with large print numbers on the speedometer, and loud speakers so he doesn't have to wear his hearing aid. 

Then he can order one with the Beats sound system.

Lebowski

Quote from: Lebowski on October 01, 2012, 09:34:34 AM

I've pretty much decided I will look to replace the C6 at the end of next year (CY13).  It'll be approaching 8 years old at that time (took delivery Feb '06). I won't be in a rush, so if I have to order something and wait a few months, that's fine. 

There are really only two candidates to replace it - the C7, which I'll see in Detroit next Jan, or a 991. Very likely to lean towards a vert in either case.  I really like the 991, it will be interesting to see how the C7 turns out, plus of course the price difference is huge.

Holy moly is this thread seriously a year old?

Most likely a C7 but I am in no rush, maybe next year.  Had my C6 detailed recently and meh, I still really like it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lebowski on October 07, 2013, 12:47:58 PM

Most likely a C7 but I am in no rush, maybe next year.  Had my C6 detailed recently and meh, I still really like it.
i really want the C7 but I'll probably end up in another C6 for a few years myself....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 07, 2013, 07:46:25 AM

Seriously, I am in love with the looks of the current 5er. I wouldn't go for an M5 though, even more so since you won't track it. A 550i is plenty fast enough (it has 440hp now), even a 535i is fast enough. The 5er in general was recently face lifted and the steering was improved.

The 535 would do it for me.  I don't want a real gas guzzler, as the 550 sure is with its 8-cylinder engine.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on October 07, 2013, 12:47:58 PM

Holy crap, I remember when you first got that car, man.  Time flies.  I can't believe my 5er is going to be 8 years old.  You got your 'vette around the same time.  I remember my car was brand new when I first met Ron and Greg and we drove around in it in Burlington, Mass, taking it up to 90 mph or so on the highway.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 07, 2013, 10:10:36 AM

They would put him under surveillance

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

:lol:
I'd get a letter ordering me to sell my house and move.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on October 07, 2013, 12:38:50 PM

Does Toyota still make the Avalon?  I want a bench seat.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on October 07, 2013, 09:36:33 AM

I take the train to work.  One thing I don't have to worry about is stupid peer pressure when it comes to cars.  Nobody sees what I drive, so I can drive whatever the fuck I want.

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 07, 2013, 06:36:32 AM
I would look into Audis. Bimmer kind of lost their way with the current 5.

--------------------------

I dont think I am gonna buy another car for a while. My car has a lot of miles but its solid + reliable so far. I'd rather replace the long block than get into something else, at least in the short term. Bike is annoying me. The clip ons are brutal for anything but grocery runs, and the engine vibrations are becoming a general annoyance. I like the SV but if it vibes like mine I kind of don't want it. I want a triple or 4 banger for the next one. Might even go old mannish since I don't need something nimble... this potential job I am looking at is about 35-40 miles away so I would def prefer comfort over agility. I'm thinking, VFR800, Sprint ST 1050, FZ1 etc.

I really want to get an exhaust for the Z. I am thinking custom. Dual 2.5" cat back with electronic cutouts. Also want to upgrade the headlights and get an intake. I would be good with that for a while. Maybe for Xmas if we have a good year.

I thought you got rid of your car in New York, and I didn't even think about the fact that you'd need a car down in NC.  What are you driving now?

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on October 07, 2013, 06:46:59 PM

Toyota makes the Avalon, but it hasn't offered a bench since 2004. There's no current passenger car left with a front bench seat, in fact; the last was the previous Impala. You want a bench, you're shopping truck.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on October 07, 2013, 06:49:43 PM
I thought you got rid of your car in New York, and I didn't even think about the fact that you'd need a car down in NC.  What are you driving now?
He has a 350Z!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 07, 2013, 07:09:12 PM
He has a 350Z!!

:facepalm:
I'm an idiot.  I can't keep track these days!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on October 07, 2013, 06:46:59 PM

Yeah, but the updated styling is too sporty for you, old man. Go with the Impala.

280Z Turbo

Actually, what do you even need a large car for? Go with the M3!

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on October 06, 2013, 10:07:14 PM
I wonder if the pendulum will have swung the other direction and I'll be looking to tread more lightly with my next car purchase. Getting a V6 was a real indulgence for me, but maybe the allure of the power will have worn off and the developing news about ocean acidification will continue sapping my enthusiasm for automotive excess. I really like my car but sometimes I feel like a shithead when I have fun in it.

I drive a car with blowby and no catalytic converters. You wouldn't even die if you left your car running in your garage. Don't worry about it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on October 07, 2013, 06:45:45 PM

Holy crap, I remember when you first got that car, man.  Time flies.  I can't believe my 5er is going to be 8 years old.  You got your 'vette around the same time.  I remember my car was brand new when I first met Ron and Greg and we drove around in it in Burlington, Mass, taking it up to 90 mph or so on the highway.

Yep, you and I got our cars at around the same time. Seems like just yesterday I was asking for input on what to get.

Northlands

Quote from: dazzleman on October 06, 2013, 07:13:45 PM
I really need to start working on this.  I don't want to just get another 5-er without reviewing the options.  Audi is a car I want to consider.  I don't think I want to consider Mercedes; I think the demographic image is too old for me.  The car just doesn't grab me.  I have to test drive the new generation of 5-ers and then think of other options.  I was really tempted by the Alpina I saw at the auto show, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much money.  I was pretty much turned off to Infiniti by those super long grills they're using now.  I hate them.

My nephew keeps trying to talk me into an M5.  It may be too much money, and of course, gas and insurance will be more.

I have to test drive a couple of Audis and BMWs to get a good idea of the direction I want to go in.

Try a 550i! A friend of mine owns one and it feels every bit an M5 to me. 400+ hp, but downright civil for everyday driving. 

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Northlands

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 07, 2013, 07:46:25 AM

+1

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on October 08, 2013, 09:23:19 AM
Yep, you and I got our cars at around the same time. Seems like just yesterday I was asking for input on what to get.

Time flies.  I've already had the Z4 for over a year.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Six years for my WRX. I'm planning on driving it indefinitely.