Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 18, 2013, 01:12:23 PM
Well, the Merc is a no-go. Guy won't talk to me on price, or show me a video of it running without warning lights on.

But, all is not lost. Got a car anyways, way on the cheap side.

1991 Marquis wagon.

WTF?  There has to be a back story on this.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on October 19, 2013, 09:21:09 PM
WTF?  There has to be a back story on this.

Thread in Jalopies. But no big story really. It kept creeping up in my searches and I kept ignoring it, but after a few promising options didn't pan out, I figured "what the hell?" and it was in way better condition than I expected, so I bought it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2013, 09:27:29 PM
Thread in Jalopies. But no big story really. It kept creeping up in my searches and I kept ignoring it, but after a few promising options didn't pan out, I figured "what the hell?" and it was in way better condition than I expected, so I bought it.

Are you going to work on it?

In other news, I was going to go test drive some BMWs yesterday, but my salesman wasn't in.  I'll see if he's going to be in next week.  There's no particular rush.  It actually turned out to be a good thing, because I later learned that the road I would have used to get there (I-95) was closed due to a bad accident, and traffic was backed up for miles all over the place.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

I want a Fairmont wagon

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 20, 2013, 01:14:02 PM

sporty, you can't be so technically retarded that you can't figure out how to turn off the asshole signature in Tapatalk.

In the top left of the Tapatalk screen, hit Main Menu > hit Settings in the bottom right > scroll down to Post Creation > click on Signature

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=remove+tapatalk+signature
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on October 20, 2013, 06:55:22 AM
Are you going to work on it?

In other news, I was going to go test drive some BMWs yesterday, but my salesman wasn't in.  I'll see if he's going to be in next week.  There's no particular rush.  It actually turned out to be a good thing, because I later learned that the road I would have used to get there (I-95) was closed due to a bad accident, and traffic was backed up for miles all over the place.

Your salesman? Like, how much does one of them cost and where do you keep him?

Anyways; There are a few things on it that need to be taken care of (as one would expect when buying a car for $2000), but I'm not really wanting to make a project out of it. Brakes and shocks, covering up a couple of rust spots, and a good general cleaning are all that's on the board for now.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on October 20, 2013, 01:26:18 PM
sporty, you can't be so technically retarded that you can't figure out how to turn off the asshole signature in Tapatalk.

In the top left of the Tapatalk screen, hit Main Menu > hit Settings in the bottom right > scroll down to Post Creation > click on Signature

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=remove+tapatalk+signature

Pay me

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Only assholes leave that shit on. Quit being an asshole, asshole.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Northlands

Jeezus.

Sent from my 9 year old HP Pavilion Desktop PC sporting a number of periodic upgrades.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

I can't believe how much you guys are getting worked up over a Tapatalk signature.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rupert on October 20, 2013, 03:28:37 PM
Now you'll have to pay him :facepalm:.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2013, 05:13:38 PM
I can't believe how much you guys are getting worked up over a Tapatalk signature.

:hesaid:
It doesn't bother me in the least.  I wonder if the paranoia side effect is setting in for Psilos.  Maybe he thinks the signature is spying on him, and he's going to jump out a 30th floor window as a result.

SVT666

Quote from: dazzleman on October 20, 2013, 05:35:45 PM
:hesaid:
It doesn't bother me in the least.  I wonder if the paranoia side effect is setting in for Psilos.  Maybe he thinks the signature is spying on him, and he's going to jump out a 30th floor window as a result.
There are no 30 storey buildings within a days drive of him.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on October 20, 2013, 03:28:37 PM

How could sporty NOT leave it on, after reading this???

Sporty, leave it on, and I'm serious.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on October 20, 2013, 07:13:22 PM
How could sporty NOT leave it on, after reading this???

Sporty, leave it on, and I'm serious.

I'd sure as fuck leave it on.

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT666 on October 20, 2013, 06:57:00 PM
There are no 30 storey buildings within a days drive of him.

That's lucky.  That fact might save his life.

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 20, 2013, 02:17:41 PM
Your salesman? Like, how much does one of them cost and where do you keep him?

Anyways; There are a few things on it that need to be taken care of (as one would expect when buying a car for $2000), but I'm not really wanting to make a project out of it. Brakes and shocks, covering up a couple of rust spots, and a good general cleaning are all that's on the board for now.

:lol:
I've bought two cars from him.

Northlands

Quote from: dazzleman on October 20, 2013, 07:17:10 PM
:lol:
I've bought two cars from him.

If you have a good one, keep him.

We buy vehicles for the store exclusively from a salesman a province away. He lands us a great price each time and is great to deal with in general.  :rockon:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

Rupert

Soup DeVille

The last salesman I dealt seemed like a decent fellow, and didn't pull any funny assed bullshit during the haggle. Probably the best purchase experience I've had for a car.

Still, I felt like I had to take a shower afterwards to get the slime off my hands.

Rupert

Salesmen are never to be trusted unless there is an expectation that you'll bring repeat business. And even then...

Northlands

Quote from: Rupert on October 21, 2013, 02:27:24 AM
Salesmen are never to be trusted unless there is an expectation that you'll bring repeat business. And even then...

I deal with salesmen daily. There are some good ones out there in many different industries.

Raza

I'm considering a cheap addition at some point next year.  Cars in the running are in the below quoted post:

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2013, 08:52:51 AM
Yeah, probably by next summer.  No rush; I'll be moving before winter, so I'll have no shortage of rides to work (both my roommates work where I work) if the weather gets bad. 

I also have a ridiculous amount of cars I'm considering.  I mean, ridiculous.

SVT Focus (#2 choice)
EP3 Civic Si (#3 choice)
Basic Civic
MkV Jetta 2.5
MkV Rabbit (if they're in the price range)
Various BMWs (my BMW guy collects cheap, high mileage but good condition cars, fixes any issues, and then sells them for cheap)
Mercedes C230 hatch (RWD, but I've always liked them, and they're cheap with a stick)
Audi B6 A4 sedan/wagon
Saab 9-3 (last gen before they looked like shit; I've always loved these cars and they're dirt cheap right now)
Saab 9-5 (same thing)
Saab 9-2X (preferred choice)
Mini Cooper

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

If I had to get a car today, it would be the A7 3.0T (1st) or S4 (2nd).

Rich

Reading about the new Mazda 3 has me wondering about the next Miata.  I'm liking their engines/weights/transmissions they are currently operating with.  I think the styling will work better on a Miata than the 3, too.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 21, 2013, 10:00:27 AM
Reading about the new Mazda 3 has me wondering about the next Miata.  I'm liking their engines/weights/transmissions they are currently operating with.  I think the styling will work better on a Miata than the 3, too.

I keep hearing the under 1000 kg as the target... :mask:  Around the same 170 hp.

A skyactive, 170 hp engine in under 1000 kg.  That'll get 40 mpg highway.  I love the retractable hardtop on the NC, so I'm hoping this next one is even better. 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

I can't stop checking out ads for the 2010 Jaguar XF V8 Supercharged. Fuck is it ever sweet.

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on October 21, 2013, 10:47:08 AM
I keep hearing the under 1000 kg as the target... :mask:  Around the same 170 hp.

A skyactive, 170 hp engine in under 1000 kg.  That'll get 40 mpg highway.  I love the retractable hardtop on the NC, so I'm hoping this next one is even better. 

I wouldn't count on the MX-5 being geared for efficient highway cruising, but as long as it's not still in the 20s on premium, it will be a huge step up.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on October 21, 2013, 02:15:03 PM
I wouldn't count on the MX-5 being geared for efficient highway cruising, but as long as it's not still in the 20s on premium, it will be a huge step up.

I could get nearly 35 mpg in my NC if I stayed in 6th and kept it around 72 mph or so.  Now, I usually drove at 85 mph or so, so 28 mpg was about all I got.

I hope they don't lose the gearing though.  I loved how short that car was geared.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Saw a C7 on the road over the weekend and another one today. I'm liking it.