Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Rich

I'm getting about 24-25 in the Miata now.  In my road trip around the country I was pulling 28-29. 

I'd kill for a 40mpg Miata.  I hope they give it a 6 speed the the 5 ratios of the 5 speed, and mimic the 6th ratio of the Mazda 3.  If I want throttle response I'll cruise in 5th.  I'll take 6th for highway moovin.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 21, 2013, 03:03:33 PM
I'm getting about 24-25 in the Miata now.  In my road trip around the country I was pulling 28-29. 

I'd kill for a 40mpg Miata.  I hope they give it a 6 speed the the 5 ratios of the 5 speed, and mimic the 6th ratio of the Mazda 3.  If I want throttle response I'll cruise in 5th.  I'll take 6th for highway moovin.

Next Miata will be CVT only with paddle shifters.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: MrH on October 21, 2013, 10:47:08 AM
I keep hearing the under 1000 kg as the target... :mask:  Around the same 170 hp.

A skyactive, 170 hp engine in under 1000 kg.  That'll get 40 mpg highway.  I love the retractable hardtop on the NC, so I'm hoping this next one is even better. 

Weight isn't that much of a factor in highway mileage.  Drag (which convertibles are notoriously poor for) is a far greater contributor.  That said, with a small enough engine and low rolling resistance tires and the right gearing, it could be possible.  I've gotten as much as 35 out of the Mustang on longer road trips.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2013, 03:13:17 PM
Weight isn't that much of a factor in highway mileage.  Drag (which convertibles are notoriously poor for) is a far greater contributor.  That said, with a small enough engine and low rolling resistance tires and the right gearing, it could be possible.  I've gotten as much as 35 out of the Mustang on longer road trips.
I have never hit 35 in the Accent. :facepalm:

Rich

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2013, 03:13:17 PM

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the EPA test still has some sort of acceleration at high way speeds.  Realistically, weight plays a role, albeit small, when you go to pass people, that kind of thing.

If my Mom's new Mazda6 can hit 40 mpg on the highway, I would think the next Miata should be able to get close to that.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: dazzleman on October 20, 2013, 07:16:26 PM
That's lucky.  That fact might save his life.

Well, there's plenty of 20 story tall trees he can jump off of where he's at.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 21, 2013, 03:22:09 PM
because racecar?

Yeah. It's just tuned for max power, not fuel economy.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lebowski on October 21, 2013, 02:41:25 PM
Saw a C7 on the road over the weekend and another one today. I'm liking it.
I've yet to see one!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 21, 2013, 07:54:55 PM
I've yet to see one!

Saw tmy first (manufacturer's plated) roadster yesterday.

Now that, I like.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2013, 05:13:38 PM
I can't believe how much you guys are getting worked up over a Tapatalk signature.
Fucking pedants. All the sniping and trolling that goes on here but a signature is too much. FYA
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 21, 2013, 09:25:15 PM
Fucking pedants. All the sniping and trolling that goes on here but a signature is too much. FYA

Doesn't even matter at this point. Whether you keep it or get rid of it, you're doing it because of Psilos.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Northlands

Holy shit.

Sent from my work PC.

:devil:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 21, 2013, 09:26:18 PM
Doesn't even matter at this point. Whether you keep it or get rid of it, you're doing it because of Psilos.

Owned

No Tapatalk signature used.

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 21, 2013, 09:25:15 PM

Keep the signature on.  :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: Northlands on October 21, 2013, 07:30:55 AM
I deal with salesmen daily. There are some good ones out there in many different industries.

Right, and they expect you to come back next time you need some paper.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

I'm planning to do some test drives on Saturday.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

dazzleman

Lebowski

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on October 24, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
BMW this week.  Audi comes next.

If you can, try to do multiple test drives on the same day, so the impressions of each car are still fresh in your mind. And try to jot down notes so they don't all blur together. "Shit, which was the one that felt that way?"

Rich

Quote from: ifcar on October 25, 2013, 08:12:21 AM
If you can, try to do multiple test drives on the same day, so the impressions of each car are still fresh in your mind. And try to jot down notes so they don't all blur together. "Shit, which was the one that felt that way?"

Hey, he's an old man, one make at a time!!!  He'll get confused and wonder why the BMW had rings or when Audi stated using kidney grilles

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on October 25, 2013, 08:12:21 AM

That's a good idea.  I did that before I bought my first BMW.  Not sure I can pull it off all in one day, though.  It's hard to get a full block of time.

dazzleman

Here are some pictures from the BMW dealer yesterday.  They didn't come out too well because of the strong sun through the glass.

CALL_911

Forget about the pictures, what were your thoughts/what did you drive?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 27, 2013, 01:09:47 PM

+1

Also, I have a source for off lease elements. I should be getting one soon at a really cheap price :praise:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 27, 2013, 01:09:47 PM

I drove a 535xi.

There are a few different options.  I don't want to have a 2-door as my only car, so I'm mainly looking at the 5-series at BMW.  There is a 4-door 6-class grand coupe, but I prefer the regular 5-series to that.

As far as the 5-series goes, there is a regular gasoline engine, as well as a diesel and a hybrid.  I ruled out the hybrid when I learned it is about $12,000 more than the gasoline, and the hybrid only works up to 30 mph.  Realistically, it wouldn't be much value to me, and would cost more than it saves IMO.  I'm also inclined to rule out the diesel, since it also costs more (a couple of grand), and I don't think I drive enough to get the real benefit from it.

As for engine sizes, I think I would go with the 6-cylinder 3.0 liter engine -- the 535.  I ruled out the 8-cylinder 550 because it costs more, has poor fuel economy and costs more to insure.  I don't see the benefit of those additional costs.  I looked at the M5 but I'm going to rule it out because of the additional cost with it.

Within the 535, I could go with RWD or AWD.  I generally like RWD better than AWD, though the AWD car yesterday drove pretty nicely.  It was a bad day for a test drive.  The traffic was heavy everywhere, and I didn't get to do a whole lot other than take a few turns quickly, and take it up to around 85 mph on the highway for a short distance.  I did really like the tightness of the steering.

There's also the need to pick the luxury or sport line.  With the sport line, I worry about how bad it would be in the snow, especially with RWD.  I would probably not go with sport suspension or tires, but I think I could order sport steering so that it's heavier and tighter.

I know the color I want -- a dark blue.

Now I have to check out Audi and see how they drive in comparison.

Laconian

I think you should try the AWD and RWD cars back to back, my experience is that you lose a lot of turning radius and feedback when cars go AWD.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on October 27, 2013, 04:59:46 PM
I drove a 535xi.

There are a few different options.  I don't want to have a 2-door as my only car, so I'm mainly looking at the 5-series at BMW.  There is a 4-door 6-class grand coupe, but I prefer the regular 5-series to that.

As far as the 5-series goes, there is a regular gasoline engine, as well as a diesel and a hybrid.  I ruled out the hybrid when I learned it is about $12,000 more than the gasoline, and the hybrid only works up to 30 mph.  Realistically, it wouldn't be much value to me, and would cost more than it saves IMO.  I'm also inclined to rule out the diesel, since it also costs more (a couple of grand), and I don't think I drive enough to get the real benefit from it.

As for engine sizes, I think I would go with the 6-cylinder 3.0 liter engine -- the 535.  I ruled out the 8-cylinder 550 because it costs more, has poor fuel economy and costs more to insure.  I don't see the benefit of those additional costs.  I looked at the M5 but I'm going to rule it out because of the additional cost with it.

Within the 535, I could go with RWD or AWD.  I generally like RWD better than AWD, though the AWD car yesterday drove pretty nicely.  It was a bad day for a test drive.  The traffic was heavy everywhere, and I didn't get to do a whole lot other than take a few turns quickly, and take it up to around 85 mph on the highway for a short distance.  I did really like the tightness of the steering.

There's also the need to pick the luxury or sport line.  With the sport line, I worry about how bad it would be in the snow, especially with RWD.  I would probably not go with sport suspension or tires, but I think I could order sport steering so that it's heavier and tighter.

I know the color I want -- a dark blue.

Now I have to check out Audi and see how they drive in comparison.

How about a 535d. It got a pretty good review recently on C&D. The mileage is fantastic and you lose almost nothing to the gas version.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)