Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Rich

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 27, 2013, 10:02:50 PM
How about a 535d. It got a pretty good review recently on C&D. The mileage is fantastic and you lose almost nothing to the gas version.

Quote from: dazzleman on October 27, 2013, 04:59:46 PM
As far as the 5-series goes, there is a regular gasoline engine, as well as a diesel and a hybrid.  I ruled out the hybrid when I learned it is about $12,000 more than the gasoline, and the hybrid only works up to 30 mph.  Realistically, it wouldn't be much value to me, and would cost more than it saves IMO.  I'm also inclined to rule out the diesel, since it also costs more (a couple of grand), and I don't think I drive enough to get the real benefit from it.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

What about waiting for the new M3 sedan?  It's honestly about the same size interior wise compared to what you drive now, will be so much more exciting than a 5-series, and probably around the same price.

Get a second set of wheels and snow tires, and enjoy the RWD :praise:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2013, 08:38:30 AM
What about waiting for the new M3 sedan?  It's honestly about the same size interior wise compared to what you drive now, will be so much more exciting than a 5-series, and probably around the same price.

Get a second set of wheels and snow tires, and enjoy the RWD :praise:

I'm planning to get RWD either way, if I get a BMW.  The question is whether I will get the sport suspension or not.  I know what a nightmare that can be in the snow, so I'll probably get the regular suspension with tighter steering.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 27, 2013, 10:02:50 PM
How about a 535d. It got a pretty good review recently on C&D. The mileage is fantastic and you lose almost nothing to the gas version.

They didn't have one available to drive the day I was there, but I would really like to drive it.  Still, I'm inclined against it because of the limited mileage that I drive, so I'm not sure that I will get the benefit of the great fuel economy vs. the additional up-front cost plus the higher cost of diesel fuel.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Diesel's definitely not worth it.

Sport suspension, OTOH, is!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2013, 08:47:16 AM
I'm planning to get RWD either way, if I get a BMW.  The question is whether I will get the sport suspension or not.  I know what a nightmare that can be in the snow, so I'll probably get the regular suspension with tighter steering.

The sport suspension really won't change the performance in the snow.  Might be slightly more prone to oversteer, but not really.  It's all about the tires.  Honestly, a second set of wheels and snow tires makes all the difference in the world.  I'm going into my 4th winter with tiny, light, RWD cars.  On snow tires, I've been able to get around just fine.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I'm guessing he's talking about ride quality in the snow because the DSC pretty much sorts everything, even if you're a ham fisted driver.

Laconian

I think it would be worth driving the diesel for the pleasure of it, not just the economy. He might enjoy it more. :huh:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2013, 11:41:56 AM
I think it would be worth driving the diesel for the pleasure of it, not just the economy. He might enjoy it more. :huh:

The torque on the diesel is fun in itself.  BMW Diesel doesn't really drive or sound like a diesel either which adds to it's appeal.

mzziaz

Sport suspension can deteriorate winter driving abilities because:
1) lowered
2) wider tire dimensions

also, less comfortable on bad roads.
Cuore Sportivo

MrH

Quote from: mzziaz on October 28, 2013, 12:23:04 PM
Sport suspension can deteriorate winter driving abilities because:
1) lowered
2) wider tire dimensions

also, less comfortable on bad roads.

-Snow rarely gets high and uneven enough for ride height to be much of an issue.

-Just because he's running wider summer tires doesn't mean he needs to run wider snow tires.  He can run narrow than the non-sport tires if he wants :huh:

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 28, 2013, 09:57:55 AM
I'm guessing he's talking about ride quality in the snow because the DSC pretty much sorts everything, even if you're a ham fisted driver.

The roads aren't really drastically less even when it snows around here :confused:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

What about a Tesla, Dave? BUY DOMESTIC!

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2013, 03:23:31 PM
What about a Tesla, Dave? BUY DOMESTIC!

Was your Infiniti produced domestically?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2013, 11:41:56 AM

False. Gasoline turbos are better.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2013, 03:32:44 PM
Was your Infiniti produced domestically?
Nope, Japan. I don't believe in the "buy domestic" line (esp. since domestic means Opelaewoo by way of Mexico), I was just throwing it out there as a joke. ;)

But Tesla seems to be really impressing the bajeezus out of everyone that reviews it. I think you should test one, if only for the heck of it. 0-60 in five seconds with all the torque right off the line... I bet that's a hoot!

MexicoCityM3

Tesla would definitely be on my list. Not available down here though. Dave, it seems to fityou situation well since you have said you don't do that much mileage.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 28, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Tesla would definitely be on my list. Not available down here though. Dave, it seems to fityou situation well since you have said you don't do that much mileage.
Never go to a gas station again == reinforced anti-riffraff bubble.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2013, 03:52:09 PM
Never go to a gas station again == reinforced anti-riffraff bubble.

:lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 28, 2013, 03:47:59 PM

I do mostly short drives with an occasional longer trip.  I don't know if I could go all-electric at this point.  From a personality standpoint, I'm not an early adopter of new technology or ideas.  I need to see how they work out for other people before I jump on the bandwagon, plus I like to buy something after the early version kinks have been ironed out and the technology has become less expensive.  So I don't think I'll go electric this time.

MX793

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2013, 12:54:38 PM
-Snow rarely gets high and uneven enough for ride height to be much of an issue.

Maybe not where you live.  I've had to drive home from work in snow deep enough that I was dragging the front splitter.  Not to mention that added ground clearance can make it easier getting into or out of a driveway that has a small berm of snow at the end that the road plow left.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2013, 03:58:39 PM
From a personality standpoint, I'm not an early adopter of new technology or ideas.

No, really?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Diesel's still a century too new for him

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on October 28, 2013, 06:12:55 PM
No, really?

Some people are so open-minded that their brains have fallen out.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2013, 06:17:48 PM
Diesel's still a century too new for him

Can I get something that runs on steam?

MX793

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2013, 06:37:00 PM
Can I get something that runs on steam?

Would you like coal fired or wood fired?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on October 28, 2013, 06:42:47 PM
Would you like coal fired or wood fired?

Wood is better, since I have logs in my yard.

CALL_911

Today I drove a Golf TDI for like 40 miles. Great car, really is, but I'd take the GTI over it every single day. Thing was averaging like 40 mpg, though. That's a good 10 mpg more than I get in my car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Dave check out the recent motor trend video of the new CTS
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

Quote from: 68_427 on October 28, 2013, 09:09:05 PM
Dave check out the recent motor trend video of the new CTS

Good luck trying to find it