Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2013, 03:52:09 PM
Never go to a gas station again == reinforced anti-riffraff bubble.

Buying electric = librruls
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Am I wrong for wanting a C7 now?  I'm thinking fuck it with replacing my RSX with a 4 door and just get a Corvette? 

CALL_911

Quote from: NomisR on October 29, 2013, 12:27:39 PM
Am I wrong for wanting a C7 now?  I'm thinking fuck it with replacing my RSX with a 4 door and just get a Corvette?

No, that's what you should be thinking

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 29, 2013, 12:33:52 PM
No, that's what you should be thinking

There hasn't been a car that I've really wanted since I got the Lotus... but damn.. I want one... not good.. not good at all....

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NomisR on October 29, 2013, 12:43:43 PM
There hasn't been a car that I've really wanted since I got the Lotus... but damn.. I want one... not good.. not good at all....
Go for it! I will own one in the next few years!!!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

NomisR

I'm looking for a job closer to home, if I don't have to worry about a commute, i'm definitely going to do this.. otherwise.. a HOV hippy mobile I get.. :(

dazzleman

I just took the Audi A6 for a test drive.  I was blown away by it.  Fucking loved it.  The pickup was fantastic, as were the suspension and steering.  I think this is the one!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 10:03:09 AM
I just took the Audi A6 for a test drive.  I was blown away by it.  Fucking loved it.  The pickup was fantastic, as were the suspension and steering.  I think this is the one!

Did you test the A7/A8/A5/S5/S6?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 02, 2013, 10:06:32 AM
Did you test the A7/A8/A5/S5/S6?

No, just the A6.  It's the only one I'm considering.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 10:14:39 AM
No, just the A6.  It's the only one I'm considering.

So how does it stack up against the 535i?

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2013, 10:23:15 AM
3.0T V6?

I doubt the pick up is that good with the 2.0T and Dave doesn't want a diesel, soooooo

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 02, 2013, 10:22:45 AM
So how does it stack up against the 535i?

I liked it better.  I can't really put my finger on why.  I think it's a combination of the pickup, steering and suspension.  And it's a good deal less money.

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2013, 10:23:15 AM
3.0T V6?

Yes.  I wouldn't consider the 2.0. WTF, too slow!

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 02, 2013, 10:24:38 AM
I doubt the pick up is that good with the 2.0T and Dave doesn't want a diesel, soooooo

It's not that I don't want the diesel.  It's just that I would pay more for it, and not really get enough of the main benefit since I drive so little.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 10:28:30 AM
Yes.  I wouldn't consider the 2.0. WTF, too slow!
How many cars have you considered?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2013, 10:30:25 AM
How many cars have you considered?

I've looked at the BMW 5-series and 6-series, and the Audi A6 and A7.  I have considered the diesel and even the hybrid, but I'm not sure either one really works for me.  If I drove a lot of highway miles, I would probably get the diesel, but as it is, I only drive 8,000 per year.

I like the shape of the A6 better than the A7 (just as I like the 5-series better than the 6-series).  I prefer the more square look to the coupe look.

I'd even be tempted to go smaller, but I take people in the back seat a lot, and I want it to be comfortable.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 11:06:36 AM
I've looked at the BMW 5-series and 6-series, and the Audi A6 and A7.  I have considered the diesel and even the hybrid, but I'm not sure either one really works for me.  If I drove a lot of highway miles, I would probably get the diesel, but as it is, I only drive 8,000 per year.

I like the shape of the A6 better than the A7 (just as I like the 5-series better than the 6-series).  I prefer the more square look to the coupe look.

I'd even be tempted to go smaller, but I take people in the back seat a lot, and I want it to be comfortable.
All very nice.  Have you considered Mercedes...or even Jaguar?

68_427

Dave drive the CTS v sport.  You owe it to yourself to drive the best driving car in the segment. 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2013, 11:23:25 AM
All very nice.  Have you considered Mercedes...or even Jaguar?

I don't care for Mercedes.  I worry about Jaguar's spotty repair record.

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on November 02, 2013, 11:37:08 AM
Dave drive the CTS v sport.  You owe it to yourself to drive the best driving car in the segment.

I can't get past the narrow vertical rear lights.   They always make me think there must be a dead body in the trunk.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 11:54:25 AM
I don't care for Mercedes.  I worry about Jaguar's spotty repair record.
They've had a spotty past alright but improved a great deal with foreign ownership.  Might be fun to take for a drive.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2013, 12:14:14 PM
They've had a spotty past alright but improved a great deal with foreign ownership.  Might be fun to take for a drive.

Jag improved greatly under Ford's ownership, but have they climbed further since being bought by Tata?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on November 02, 2013, 12:24:12 PM
Jag improved greatly under Ford's ownership, but have they climbed further since being bought by Tata?
Good question.  I'd heard that Tata poured in a lot of money.

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 11:56:17 AM
I can't get past the narrow vertical rear lights.   They always make me think there must be a dead body in the trunk.

Hard to argue with about 450hp and 500tq for $65K
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on November 02, 2013, 01:52:48 PM
Hard to argue with about 450hp and 500tq for $65K

There's nothing rational about car choices.  It's all irrational.  I associate Cadillac with organized crime, so to me, it's a downscale brand.

dazzleman

Is it possible that the BMW 5-series and Audi A6 are a comparable price for similar options?  Or am I screwing something up?  I "built" my own car on each of the websites, chose the options I want, and in both cases, the price is coming in a hair below $60K.

I assumed the BMW would be a few grand more expensive with comparable options.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 01:59:19 PM
There's nothing rational about car choices.  It's all irrational.  I associate Cadillac with organized crime, so to me, it's a downscale brand.

No matter how good the car is, it still looks like a Cadillac.

I will forever associate Cadillacs with old people, ghetto donks, and GM mediocrity.

It's hard to imagine them on the same level as the Germans.

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 05:48:32 PM
Is it possible that the BMW 5-series and Audi A6 are a comparable price for similar options?  Or am I screwing something up?  I "built" my own car on each of the websites, chose the options I want, and in both cases, the price is coming in a hair below $60K.

I assumed the BMW would be a few grand more expensive with comparable options.

Why would you assume that?

They're typically pretty equivalent in terms of price.  A Mercedes E-class will probably be right there too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 02, 2013, 05:52:20 PM
No matter how good the car is, it still looks like a Cadillac.

I will forever associate Cadillacs with old people, ghetto donks, and GM mediocrity.

It's hard to imagine them on the same level as the Germans.

That's the problem I have.  I also associate them with organized crime.  Any time I see those thin vertical rear lights, I picture the car pulling off from a dark deserted road after dumping a body in the marsh alongside it.