Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
Why would you assume that?

They're typically pretty equivalent in terms of price.  A Mercedes E-class will probably be right there too.

I had always heard that BMW had a bit of a premium.  I haven't done any comparison pricing for cars in a very long time.

BMW seems to have changed their marketing strategy.  A lot more seems to be standard now, rather than as an option as in the past.  With both cars, I chose very few options once I chose the model that I wanted.

I found the websites less than totally illuminating, which is a little surprising.

Bottom line though, the A6 just seemed to drive in a sportier way.  It had a lighter, faster feel to it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

And it's like you think that's a bad thing.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 10:28:04 AM
I liked it better.  I can't really put my finger on why.  I think it's a combination of the pickup, steering and suspension.  And it's a good deal less money.

I know why, it's because you fell in love with Ron('s A6)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on November 02, 2013, 06:41:53 PM
I know why, it's because you fell in love with Ron('s A6)

I doubt it.  I never drove Ron's car.

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 06:43:39 PM
I doubt it.  I never drove Ron's car.

I dunno, you had a pretty big grin when you were in that A6...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 06:07:51 PM
That's the problem I have.  I also associate them with organized crime.  Any time I see those thin vertical rear lights, I picture the car pulling off from a dark deserted road after dumping a body in the marsh alongside it.

Any real mobster knows that if its trunk space you're after, you go with the Chrysler.

I see Cadillacs as the car that the working stiff worked himself up to. It was the working class definition of "having arrived" to own a brand new Cadillac. Maybe that leaves them forever as a sort of second class car, but if it does, I don't see it as anything to be looked down on. The BMWs and Mecedes always drew with them the subtext of belonging to an image conscious social climber to me, while I associate Rolls Royce with mustard that comes in jars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

dazzleman

Quote from: CJ on November 02, 2013, 06:57:19 PM
Get a diesel A6.

I'm reconsidering diesel now and thinking seriously about that.  Do you know anything about the repair record of the diesel vs. the gasoline engine for that model?

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 02, 2013, 06:52:44 PM
Any real mobster knows that if its trunk space you're after, you go with the Chrysler.

I see Cadillacs as the car that the working stiff worked himself up to. It was the working class definition of "having arrived" to own a brand new Cadillac. Maybe that leaves them forever as a sort of second class car, but if it does, I don't see it as anything to be looked down on. The BMWs and Mecedes always drew with them the subtext of belonging to an image conscious social climber to me, while I associate Rolls Royce with mustard that comes in jars.

They all have their image issues I guess.  I'd rather be considered an image conscious social climber than a gangster, I guess.... :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on November 02, 2013, 06:50:29 PM
I dunno, you had a pretty big grin when you were in that A6...

He must have been driving like a maniac.  :lol:

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 07:00:45 PM
They all have their image issues I guess.  I'd rather be considered an image conscious social climber than a gangster, I guess.... :lol:

I happen to like that hint of dangerous dark-side associated with the brand. Audis, OTOH, seem to be cars for high-income hipsters. I do love me some A7, though...

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 02, 2013, 08:03:40 PM
I happen to like that hint of dangerous dark-side associated with the brand. Audis, OTOH, seem to be cars for high-income hipsters. I do love me some A7, though...

Haha, there's a guy I'm friendly with on the train who probably fits that description.  He's a major Audi guy, always extolling the virtues of Audi and urging me to get one.  He dresses on the hipster side -- a certain type of jeans with a suit jacket.  I wish I could dress that way for work.... :lol:

Not surprised that you like the hint of a dark side to the brand..... :evildude:

dazzleman

One thing to consider is that Audi is offering a $1,500 manufacturer's discount to buyers who are switching from either BMW, Mercedes or Lexus.

280Z Turbo

I spent $9000 on my BMW and people think I'm loaded. If I had spent $9000 on a pickup truck, I'd look like a poor hillbilly.

Image is important when choosing a car. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 02, 2013, 08:45:14 PM
I spent $9000 on my BMW and people think I'm loaded. If I had spent $9000 on a pickup truck, I'd look like a poor hillbilly.

Image is important when choosing a car. :lol:

It is.  I am ambivalent about image.  I'm relatively low key, but I clearly care about image somewhat or else I'd be driving a Ford.  I do find that some people give more respect when they see I'm driving a BMW.  That's not the way it should be, but it is what it is.

While I don't necessarily aspire strongly to any particularly image, there are certain images, even negative ones, that I don't mind being associated with, and there are certain images that I actively seek to avoid.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 08:48:25 PM
It is.  I am ambivalent about image.  I'm relatively low key, but I clearly care about image somewhat or else I'd be driving a Ford.  I do find that some people give more respect when they see I'm driving a BMW.  That's not the way it should be, but it is what it is.

While I don't necessarily aspire strongly to any particularly image, there are certain images, even negative ones, that I don't mind being associated with, and there are certain images that I actively seek to avoid.

So, what do you want to be; a lowlife thug, or a hipster twat?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 02, 2013, 08:50:34 PM
Oh he's got hipster twat all over him.

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 02, 2013, 08:50:34 PM

Given that choice, a hipster twat... :lol:

I can't pull off the lowlife thug image anyway.  I'm too old and WASPy to even attempt it.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 08:33:28 PM
One thing to consider is that Audi is offering a $1,500 manufacturer's discount to buyers who are switching from either BMW, Mercedes or Lexus.

You're actually considering those gussied up Volkswagens? :evildude:

BMW or nothing.

Soup DeVille

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 02, 2013, 08:54:49 PM
Audi it is then!

:lol:
I don't mind the hipster twat or rich prick image that much.  I find it helps set expectations because in person, I'm actually quite nice and people are then pleasantly surprised and I get a good reaction.

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 02, 2013, 08:54:45 PM
You're actually considering those gussied up Volkswagens? :evildude:

BMW or nothing.

I love the BMW too but I've already had 2 and it might be time to try something else.  Plus I really liked the way the Audi drove.  It has the edge over BMW on drive quality.  The last time I did a competitive test-drive, in 2000, BMW won hands down over Audi.  Things change.

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 08:48:25 PM

Others may see a negative connotation; I see an opportunity to stand apart from the crowd :praise:

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 02, 2013, 09:03:25 PM
Others may see a negative connotation; I see an opportunity to stand apart from the crowd :praise:

Dude, as long as you continue to drive fast and wear Pumas, I won't question your taste in anything.... :lol:

If you've taken to driving the Caddy like an old man, then I will bust your balls relentlessly!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 03, 2013, 01:20:13 AM
Definitely do not do that

Reasoning?  I'm curious to hear what you think.

280Z Turbo

STFU up on diesels everyone. Dave said he doesn't care about fuel economy. There's no reason to buy a diesel over a gas model if fuel economy is not a primary concern.

Colin

I'm inclined to agree.

In Europe, a diesel would be a no-brainer (says the person who did not follow this advice!), but as you Merrycans are not taxed on CO2 emissions (and boy, will we Europeans laugh when you are!), and as the diesel costs more to buy and Dave does not do a huge mileage, then it is not going to be cheaper. So that raises the question which is: is it "better". Certainly, the usable torque of a diesel is very appealing, but the 3.0T Audi engine is such a glorious unit that it lacks not for torque either, and it does sound that much nicer. 

So, I'd say no diesel for Dave.

(I also think that a test drive of an XF is called for - of the 3 German luxury saloons in this class, I thought the Jag at least in the version I tested, a 3.0D S beat them all).

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 03, 2013, 07:34:23 AM
STFU up on diesels everyone. Dave said he doesn't care about fuel economy. There's no reason to buy a diesel over a gas model if fuel economy is not a primary concern.

I do care about fuel economy.  That's why I won't get an 8-cylinder car.  But I don't know if I drive enough miles where the benefits of diesel will exceed the costs for me.  Diesels excel in highway driving, and most of my driving is around town, stop-and-go.