Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Colin

Well a diesel will almost always be more economical than a petrol........ but you will need to build a cost model to see if the extra cost of the car and the fuel is balanced out by the better consumption. For someone doing your sort of mileage, Dave, I'd be surprised if it is.

(You can make it more sophisticated, of course, if you add in residuals, different cost for insurance, cost of money etc)

dazzleman

Quote from: Colin on November 03, 2013, 11:20:24 AM
Well a diesel will almost always be more economical than a petrol........ but you will need to build a cost model to see if the extra cost of the car and the fuel is balanced out by the better consumption. For someone doing your sort of mileage, Dave, I'd be surprised if it is.

(You can make it more sophisticated, of course, if you add in residuals, different cost for insurance, cost of money etc)

I think you're probably right.  The one wild card that I don't know that much about is reliability an repairs.  How would you say that varies between gasoline and diesel?  What about ability to start/perform well in cold weather?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Onslaught

Petrol superior. Diesel inferior.

Colin

Reliability - probably nothing in it, certainly not for the mileage you are likely to do. There are plenty of taxis in Europe with 300 - 500,000 miles on them still performing perfectly acceptably, though some of the latest innovations (complex automatic boxes etc) may well not have that sort of inherent longevity.

Cold weather performance? If you lived in Minnesota, I might worry about a diesel, but even in your moderately chilly winters, there should be no issues with the dread diesel waxing. Most fuel companies use additives these days to remove the problem.   

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on November 02, 2013, 10:03:09 AM
I just took the Audi A6 for a test drive.  I was blown away by it.  Fucking loved it.  The pickup was fantastic, as were the suspension and steering.  I think this is the one!

:ohyeah:

I think it's a great choice for you.  Which engine?  3.0T?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on November 04, 2013, 09:45:13 AM
:ohyeah:

I think it's a great choice for you.  Which engine?  3.0T?

Yes.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

Ha!  So this morning, I drove to work with my wife because she's coming down to this area again in the afternoon, so she thought it would be easier to go home with one car.  She's telling me that I should get myself a car that can drive in the car pool lane..  Only reasonable choices available right now is the Volt and the Prius plug in... but i'm thinking to myself....  fuck that.. I want a C7....

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 04, 2013, 07:49:24 PM
S4, Dave?

Probably too small.  I think the A6 is the one for me.

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2013, 03:31:37 PM
So the Audi it is...or are you still looking?

I haven't made a final decision yet, but I'm leaning that way.  It may come down to which car I can get a better deal on.

Vinsanity

...or are we not spending that much $$$?

dazzleman

Vinsanity

holy crap...!

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on November 05, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

It's probably worth a test sit at the very least, no? What are your space needs?

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on November 05, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Worth a try, dude. What do you need all that room for? My dad sometimes regrets not having bought a 335 over his 535.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 06, 2013, 12:25:32 AM
Worth a try, dude. What do you need all that room for? My dad sometimes regrets not having bought a 335 over his 535.

Dave needs room for three 400 lb whores. He also likes Amazons so legroom is important.

Raza

S4s aren't that roomy in the back if you've got to put adults back there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

I don't blame him for wanting A6 size vs S4, as an only car plus he's older.  S4 is tight in the back (granted I haven't been in a new one).

CALL_911

Who cares if its tight in the back?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 06, 2013, 11:07:48 AM

Dave does.  He said he needed more rear seat space because he often carries adults (presumably conscious) in the back seat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 06, 2013, 11:07:48 AM

Once you're older than like 22, you care.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on November 06, 2013, 01:47:29 PM
Once you're older than like 22, you care.

:lol:

Sounds funny coming from a 34 year old who had a Corvette as his only car for years. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Northlands

He's right. Four doors and decent rear leg room make a big difference if you are the chauffeur of choice in your circle of friends.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on November 06, 2013, 11:49:53 AM
Dave does.  He said he needed more rear seat space because he often carries adults (presumably conscious) in the back seat.

Bold assumption :lol:

Quote from: Northlands on November 06, 2013, 05:56:22 PM
He's right. Four doors and decent rear leg room make a big difference if you are the chauffeur of choice in your circle of friends.

Solution: buy a 2 seater, and never be stuck being the chauffeur. One of the BRZs selling points actually.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Northlands

Quote from: MrH on November 06, 2013, 07:52:58 PM

Bold assumption :lol:

Solution: buy a 2 seater, and never be stuck being the chauffeur. One of the BRZs selling points actually.

Pfft. You still have another seat. You are now chauffeur to one!

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Catman