Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on November 09, 2013, 06:55:46 AM
Cadillac is part of Government Motors.

You should at least check one out.

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on November 09, 2013, 07:16:05 AM

That is a nightmare.  I hate those ghettolicious cars.

We had a car service last night and the guy had an escalade that must be where the idea came from. It was comfortable as a passenger but I'd never want to own one.

In my dream I was like wtf am I going to do w/ my 4 runner now ... And will this behemoth fit in my garage?

I like the tahoe and suburban, though.

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on November 09, 2013, 07:17:46 AM
You should at least check one out.

I have to think about it.  I've always been anti-Cadillac but of course it's based more on the image of Cadillacs in the past, which were often pimpmobiles or gindoloon two-tone horrors that broke down every time you drove them around the block.  It takes a lot to overcome such ingrained impressions.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on November 09, 2013, 11:49:54 AM
I have to think about it.  I've always been anti-Cadillac but of course it's based more on the image of Cadillacs in the past, which were often pimpmobiles or gindoloon two-tone horrors that broke down every time you drove them around the block.  It takes a lot to overcome such ingrained impressions.

Audi's drive themselves through the front windows of Dunkin Donuts.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on November 09, 2013, 11:49:54 AM

Funny, because my dad, who's a decade older than you, would never consider a Cadillac because the ingrained impression he has of Caddy drivers is... you.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

I unfortunately work on Cadillacs these days. I suppose they're ok cars but I'm still not sold on things like the interiors and stuff being as nice as the German cars. That I must also unfortunately work on too.

Lebowski

I think, among other things, Cadillacs don't age well. I feel like every time there's a new/redesigned CTS everyone raves about it yet within 3 years it already looks stale.  Audi/BMW have much more classic designs that age much better.  They also depreciate like shit.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on November 09, 2013, 01:53:50 PM
Funny, because my dad, who's a decade older than you, would never consider a Cadillac because the ingrained impression he has of Caddy drivers is... you.

:lol:

Jealously is such a negative emotion.  It's so much better to look down on people than to be jealous.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Vinsanity

FWIW, the only Audi drivers I'm jealous of are the ones in A7's :devil:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on November 09, 2013, 03:38:37 PM
I think, among other things, Cadillacs don't age well. I feel like every time there's a new/redesigned CTS everyone raves about it yet within 3 years it already looks stale.  Audi/BMW have much more classic designs that age much better.  They also depreciate like shit.

How can they look dated?  The new CTS looks basically like the last one, which looked exactly like the one before that.  Each one just gets a little more extreme looking. 

I wouldn't say no to a CTS-V--but I'd rather have a current (outgoing, I guess) CTS-V wagon or coupe or a first gen CTS-V sedan.  400 horsepower and manual-only....like an M5, but a Cadillac. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on November 09, 2013, 10:39:22 PM

How can they look dated?  The new CTS looks basically like the last one, which looked exactly like the one before that.  Each one just gets a little more extreme looking. 

I wouldn't say no to a CTS-V--but I'd rather have a current (outgoing, I guess) CTS-V wagon or coupe or a first gen CTS-V sedan.  400 horsepower and manual-only....like an M5, but a Cadillac. 

Most domestic cars IMO don't age well, including every previous CTS. I can't really explain it, it's just something that is.

There are only a handful of domestic cars I'd buy, of which the Corvette is the notable standout. Other than that, maybe the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon if I needed the size (I don't). I would never buy anything from a domestic luxury mark, Cadillac included, the brand mismanagement there has been truly remarkable.  I don't blame Dave one bit for not considering it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Lebowski on November 10, 2013, 05:35:47 AM

Most domestic cars IMO don't age well, including every previous CTS. I can't really explain it, it's just something that is.
They lost their way trying to rediscover their new look in the '90s...when the imports found theirs.  They're doing better now but GM still looks a bit too cluttered with bits that don't flow with the overall design, imo.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Catman

I think the last CTS model looks good. I wouldn't call it dated.

Northlands

Well, we're very close to buying a car. It's no BMW, but we found a mint condition 2010 Elantra Touring (wagon ) GLS Sport. Only 26,000 kms and a clean insurance history. They're asking $12800 for it.  Fully loaded, still has warranty,  auto ( for my wife, going to be her car ). If all goes well tomorrow and everything checks out, I could have some new photos to post in a couple of days time.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Northlands

It looks like this: 

Pretty much a spitting image of the car. The dealer just got the car in over the weekend, so no pictures of it yet on the website. We test drove it today, and I was surprised at how well it drove. Fairly tight little wagon and competent power. It felt a lot different than driving the sedan version of the car. It handled much better.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

CALL_911

That's a good looking car

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on November 12, 2013, 06:50:55 PM
It looks like this: 

Pretty much a spitting image of the car. The dealer just got the car in over the weekend, so no pictures of it yet on the website. We test drove it today, and I was surprised at how well it drove. Fairly tight little wagon and competent power. It felt a lot different than driving the sedan version of the car. It handled much better.

That actually looks pretty good.  Is it different from the version they sell in the US?  I thought Hyundai only sells their slash-and-gash styled cars here. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on November 12, 2013, 09:12:09 PM
That actually looks pretty good.  Is it different from the version they sell in the US?  I thought Hyundai only sells their slash-and-gash styled cars here.

That's the previous gen Elantra Touring. It was sold here.

It also IIRC, shares very little in common with the Elantra Sedan. The Elantra Touring is the wagon version of the european i30. It also drives pretty nicely, whereas the sedan does not.

MrH

Interesting. Didn't even know those things exist here really. I don't think I've seen one on the road before.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  on November 12, 2013, 09:12:09 PM

I don't think it was different. They stopped making them in 2012 I think. Current wagon-ish Elantra sold now is the GT. But the Touring models I think were the same here.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Northlands on November 12, 2013, 06:50:55 PM
What's the engine specs?

Imo, Hyundai is the second most desirable everyday brand for us middle-class people.  The only problem I have with it is the emblem.  I have an inane prejudice against automotive emblems that are not symmetrical.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Colin

Quote from: Northlands on November 12, 2013, 10:12:57 PM
I don't think it was different. They stopped making them in 2012 I think. Current wagon-ish Elantra sold now is the GT. But the Touring models I think were the same here.

Rest of world's 1st gen i30 Touring was sold as Elantra Touring in US (complete with engines to stop you all wingeing about underpowered 1.6 petrols and diesels). Now you get the rest of world's second gen i30 5 door hatchback as the Elantra GT (again with different engines from the Euro spec cars). Europe gets a 3 door and an estate version of the i30 as well.

Northlands

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 13, 2013, 04:54:27 AM
What's the engine specs?

Imo, Hyundai is the second most desirable everyday brand for us middle-class people.  The only problem I have with it is the emblem.  I have an inane prejudice against automotive emblems that are not symmetrical.

Heh heh.

Engine output is 138 hp. 2 litre. I think the EPA is 23 city 30-31 highway.

Quote from: Colin on November 13, 2013, 07:46:46 AM
Rest of world's 1st gen i30 Touring was sold as Elantra Touring in US (complete with engines to stop you all wingeing about underpowered 1.6 petrols and diesels). Now you get the rest of world's second gen i30 5 door hatchback as the Elantra GT (again with different engines from the Euro spec cars). Europe gets a 3 door and an estate version of the i30 as well.

I wish we'd get to see a little more of what's offered in Europe. I'd certainly be interested in the Kia Cee'd as well. Or at least my wife would.

MrH

Working on the details right now, but looks like I'll be adding an '09 Element to the collection in the next week or two.  I plan on waiting until the spring before I decide whether I'm going to keep the BRZ or sell it and get something more fun (maybe an Elise, 987 boxster-s, or cayman-s). I'm leaning towards keeping the BRZ for awhile.

It's the cheapest and safest route and is more likely to get driven than something like an Elise.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 04:41:06 PM
Working on the details right now, but looks like I'll be adding an '09 Element to the collection in the next week or two.  I plan on waiting until the spring before I decide whether I'm going to keep the BRZ or sell it and get something more fun (maybe an Elise, 987 boxster-s, or cayman-s). I'm leaning towards keeping the BRZ for awhile.

It's the cheapest and safest route and is more likely to get driven than something like an Elise.

Forget the BRZ, get the Elise!  YOLO

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on November 13, 2013, 04:57:29 PM
Forget the BRZ, get the Elise!  YOLO

All aluminum body that could be totaled on a pot hole makes me nervous.  Roads here aren't kind.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 05:20:50 PM
All aluminum body that could be totaled on a pot hole makes me nervous.  Roads here aren't kind.

Insurance dude
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 04:41:06 PM

You got any interest in motorcycles, or are you strictly a four wheel guy?