Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 13, 2013, 05:34:07 PM
Insurance dude

Yeah, that's the fear.  I haven't gotten a quote yet.

Quote from: J86 on November 13, 2013, 05:52:49 PM
You got any interest in motorcycles, or are you strictly a four wheel guy?

I know I will undoubtedly want a liter bike and will kill myself in a week.  4-wheel motorcycles I'll do.  Tried to follow a lead on an ariel atom years back in Cincinnati.  Sold before I could even look at it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 05:20:50 PM
All aluminum body that could be totaled on a pot hole makes me nervous.  Roads here aren't kind.

And I've heard they're particularly frail as they get older.  I was talking with some of the local SCCA guys about maybe looking for a used Elise and got a few horror stories.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

It's not so good to have a gingerbread car.

MrH

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/tips-buying-used-elise-exige-including-information-salvage-titles-26509/

AHHH.  That is terrifying.  Sounds like a Cayman or Boxster is a much safer buy than the paper mache Elise.  You know it's a fragile car when a Porsche is considered the "safer" buy.  But Caymans and Boxsters seem impossible to work on.

The more I dive in, the more the BRZ seems like the real winner. :wub:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 07:32:53 PM
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/tips-buying-used-elise-exige-including-information-salvage-titles-26509/

AHHH.  That is terrifying.  Sounds like a Cayman or Boxster is a much safer buy than the paper mache Elise.  You know it's a fragile car when a Porsche is considered the "safer" buy.  But Caymans and Boxsters seem impossible to work on.

I looked into used Caymans in the past. Getting into one it's that bad but having anything done to them cost an arm and a leg. Any sports care will cost you but those things just seemed like too much to me.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 05:20:50 PM
All aluminum body that could be totaled on a pot hole makes me nervous.  Roads here aren't kind.

Yeah, that was pretty much why I walked away from the one I test drove.

MrH

E92 m3 seems like the best idea if I decide to replace the brz.

For now, I plan on getting the element on Saturday and keeping the brz for fun snow dorifto.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on November 14, 2013, 10:15:00 PM

E92 m3 seems like the best idea if I decide to replace the brz.

For now, I plan on getting the element on Saturday and keeping the brz for fun snow dorifto.

Why would you replace the brz you just got it?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Lebowski on November 15, 2013, 06:33:38 AM

Not enough power to cure tiny penis syndrome.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on November 15, 2013, 06:33:38 AM

Just considering it.  For now, the plan is to keep it.  We'll see.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 15, 2013, 08:03:20 AM
Not enough power to cure tiny penis syndrome.

The butthurt is strong with this one...
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 15, 2013, 08:06:48 AM
Just considering it.  For now, the plan is to keep it.  We'll see.

The butthurt is strong with this one...

You can sleep in the bed you made, with your tiny penis, your extraordinary ego, and your complete lack of how automotive suspension works.

Raza

I still don't get spending 20K on a low mileage beater cute ute. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 15, 2013, 08:29:26 AM
You can sleep in the bed you made, with your tiny penis, your extraordinary ego, and your complete lack of how automotive suspension works.

I can't tell if this is an attempt to troll, or a grown man throwing a tantrum.

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2013, 08:40:47 AM
I still don't get spending 20K on a low mileage beater cute ute. 

Not spending anywhere near $20k.  I own a house.  A two seater as an only vehicle in this situation doesn't really work.  Think of it more as a cargo van that can also carry people when need be.  It's far more utilitarian than something like a CR-V or Rav4.  They're damn near bullet proof, so I'm getting the newest, lowest mile example for the cheapest price I can.  Plan is to keep it around for as long as it'll run, and then I'm free to play with my fun car all I want.  I can keep the BRZ on jack stands for a few days while working on it and still have a way to get to work.

It's worth the cost in my mind.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on November 15, 2013, 09:18:23 AM
Not spending anywhere near $20k.  I own a house.  A two seater as an only vehicle in this situation doesn't really work.  Think of it more as a cargo van that can also carry people when need be.  It's far more utilitarian than something like a CR-V or Rav4.  They're damn near bullet proof, so I'm getting the newest, lowest mile example for the cheapest price I can.  Plan is to keep it around for as long as it'll run, and then I'm free to play with my fun car all I want.  I can keep the BRZ on jack stands for a few days while working on it and still have a way to get to work.

Still think a Forester 2.5XT would be a better overall experience.  That way your second car could still be fun to drive. 

But, if the Element works for you, it works for you.  Hope everything goes well. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 15, 2013, 09:18:23 AM
I can't tell if this is an attempt to troll, or a grown man throwing a tantrum.

Yeah I'm smashing my keyboard and foaming at the mouth. I just can't wait for you to be a bigger asshole. :wanker:

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on November 13, 2013, 07:32:53 PM

Most of those problems aren't really problems...

The body problems are pretty much mostly due to the cost of replacing the front and read clam shells than anything.  I think they're about $5000 each, so as long as you don't run into anything, you're fine.  And just remember, these do not have 5mph bumpers..

Toe links aren't really an issue either for daily driven cars, if you track it though, I would recommend an aftermarket upgrade which is pretty cheap as well.  Or if you car has a track pack, it's not much of an issue. 

Pretty much, most of the recommendations are what you would look out for with any used cars.  As long as you don't get a 05, most of the problems are avoided.  The standard items are no more expensive to maintain then a regular car and is really easy to do yourself.  Oil change is kinda a pain to do w/o a lift though simply because you have to remove the rear diffuser but it's cheap and easy. 

Actually, I would say the biggest pain i've had with the car was replacing the headlights because you have to pull off your front wheels to do it.. :lol:  Other than that you're ok... oh and the fact that you'll likely have to replace your rears every 5000 miles if you want stock quality performance, and 7500 to 10000 for the fronts.  You'll most likely heat cycle them out before you run out of treads. 

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2013, 09:42:01 AM
Still think a Forester 2.5XT would be a better overall experience.  That way your second car could still be fun to drive. 

But, if the Element works for you, it works for you.  Hope everything goes well. 

Yeah, it'd be a lot more fun to drive, no argument there.  They're really tough to find though.  I've got a coworker who's been looking for one and he can't find a clean one anywhere.  There's quite a substantial difference in cargo space between the two too.  I'll give up some fun in exchange for practicality at this point, sadly.  Hauling things like dry wall and flooring is much easier in an Element.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on November 15, 2013, 10:49:18 AM
Yeah, it'd be a lot more fun to drive, no argument there.  They're really tough to find though.  I've got a coworker who's been looking for one and he can't find a clean one anywhere.  There's quite a substantial difference in cargo space between the two too.  I'll give up some fun in exchange for practicality at this point, sadly.  Hauling things like dry wall and flooring is much easier in an Element.

Do you put up a lot of walls?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Two car lifestyle I found to be a PITA. More insurance and state taxes, more work to keep cars clean and maintained, and then of course sacrificing parking and storage. The G37x pretty much fills that role for me, what with ski and bike racks, and dedicated snow tires. I will say I no longer do my own house and lawn work, so in the couple times a year I do need to haul stuff I have a handyman that will do it.

My alignment was out (wandering really bad on the freeway) and the local tire shop said the alignment can't get much worse - was super bad. I do a lot of gravel road driving, and have hit some massive pot holes at speed, so the G is taking a bit of a beating. I'm surprised that with 18" wheels and 45 series tires I have blown a tire or nuked a rim. Meh, small price to pay. All in all though it's holding up well to the (ab)use.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2013, 11:32:20 AM

There's a lot of home ownership type stuff where it's just handy to have a midsize (or larger) truck.  Drywall is just one example.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: MX793 on November 15, 2013, 01:10:55 PM
There's a lot of home ownership type stuff where it's just handy to have a midsize (or larger) truck.  Drywall is just one example.

Renting a truck from Home Depot for an hour would actually be way cheaper than paying insurance, maintenance, taxes, gas on a dedicated truck.  Unless that truck only costs $500 and you have plenty of garage space and so forth..

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2013, 11:32:20 AM

I'm redoing my garage and basement, so yes, I do :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Northlands

Well, we pick up the Elantra Touring on Tuesday.

2010 GLS Sport
26500 kilometers.
Clean vehicle history. One owner, zero accidents. Recent trade in.

Also comes with a set of winter tires and rims. Command start too. 

My wife is thrilled. It's replacing her car.

Photos to follow. 

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

MX793

Quote from: NomisR on November 15, 2013, 01:24:59 PM
Renting a truck from Home Depot for an hour would actually be way cheaper than paying insurance, maintenance, taxes, gas on a dedicated truck.  Unless that truck only costs $500 and you have plenty of garage space and so forth..

If your only other vehicle is a 2-seater (or near-2-seater), having a second, practical vehicle makes sense.  Useful for hauling stuff, useful for carrying passengers when you need to, and you can buy something that's better in the snow if you live where it snows (as well as save your fun car from a salt-induced corrosion death).  I'd maybe save $300 a year (most of that being insurance) if I ditched the Mazda and ran the Mustang year-round.  But looking under at the underbody of the Mustang and seeing no rust at all, I consider that a small price to pay.  Not to mention that the Mustang has a lot of features that would make it miserable in the snow (windshield washer nozzle placement is such that they're sure to ice up and potentially be damaged while removing ice/snow, windows are extremely prone to freezing shut due to the way the seals are designed, among others).

Maintenance is a wash since when you're driving one car, you're not driving the other (and therefore not putting any wear and tear on it).  By my owning a winter car and a not-winter car, I drive each car less than if I drove either year round.  I doubt my annual maintenance costs with two cars are any higher than with one since I only drive one at any given time.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MrH on November 15, 2013, 01:25:33 PM

Ah, then I get it.

But still, you should have let them finish building your house before you moved in.   ;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on November 15, 2013, 01:24:59 PM

Or a goddamn utility trailer that any car can pull

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2013, 01:54:33 PM
Ah, then I get it.

But still, you should have let them finish building your house before you moved in.   ;)

That was actually one of the reasons I bought this house.  The garage has drywall up on half of it.  The basement is studded and wired in (but that needs some work), but no drywall or floor.  It's 2, simple, relatively low cost projects that'll add instant equity.  I kind of view it as risk assurance that if I need to sell quickly, I have justification for listing higher than I bought.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

Quote from: MrH on November 15, 2013, 01:25:33 PM

Use plywood for the garage walls instead of drywall. Better for hanging tools and stuff.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Quote from: Rupert on November 15, 2013, 02:26:17 PM
Use plywood for the garage walls instead of drywall. Better for hanging tools and stuff.

I'll end up just hanging racks from the studs.  Plywood does not make for good resale.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

Psh, weak. Paint it or something, then. Maybe use hardwood plywood or some other finished stainable plywood.

IMO, a garage with drywall is just a place to park a car, and a garage with wood walls is a place to work.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA