Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  on November 17, 2013, 12:36:57 PM
Boxes. Small boxes. Medium boxes wouldn't fit in my trunk.

But I fit 12 boxes! And other stuff.

Just an FYI. There are plenty of businesses out there that will give away cardboard boxes. I guess it would depend if you are looking for specific sizes of course. Otherwise many of these things are just tossed into recycling bins everywhere behind many warehouses. Some of these stores ask a lot of money for cardboard.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Rupert

For real. I actually keep my boxes from move to move so I don't have to fuck around with trying to find more. I have some really nice boxes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on November 17, 2013, 02:57:48 PM
Just an FYI. There are plenty of businesses out there that will give away cardboard boxes. I guess it would depend if you are looking for specific sizes of course. Otherwise many of these things are just tossed into recycling bins everywhere behind many warehouses. Some of these stores ask a lot of money for cardboard.

Thanks, but those boxes are literally 74 cents each. Not a big expense.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on November 17, 2013, 04:00:57 PM
For real. I actually keep my boxes from move to move so I don't have to fuck around with trying to find more. I have some really nice boxes.

The boxes I used to move last time were already used twice before, so I tossed them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

I think I've used some of mine for four moves. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on November 17, 2013, 07:22:41 PM
I think I've used some of mine for four moves. :huh:

:huh:

Oh well.  I wouldn't have had enough boxes anyway.  When I moved three years ago, I didn't have nearly as much stuff as I do now, apparently.  I'm shocked at how much stuff I have. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Depends how often you move I guess, storing a bunch of boxes to me is a far bigger pain than the minor cost of buying new boxes. 

Rupert

Storing boxes is more of a pain than driving to the store to buy boxes at least once? Sure, if you don't have the storage space to spare; otherwise, no way.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on November 18, 2013, 07:45:00 AM
:huh:

Oh well.  I wouldn't have had enough boxes anyway.  When I moved three years ago, I didn't have nearly as much stuff as I do now, apparently.  I'm shocked at how much stuff I have. 

Yeah, shit does accumulate. I get rid of stuff whenever I move and there is still a huge pile.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on November 18, 2013, 02:31:10 PM

Storing boxes is more of a pain than driving to the store to buy boxes at least once? Sure, if you don't have the storage space to spare; otherwise, no way.

Storing shit in general is a pain and a waste of space, hoarder.

Moving co I've used delivers boxes and buys back any unused ones, so no "pain" of driving to the store.

Rupert

MrH

Even though Im not rich enough to use a moving company :lol: I agree with lebowski. Storing a shit ton of boxes is just a bunch of clutter. I'll just buy new boxes when it's time to move again.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I can get them for free from work.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on November 17, 2013, 12:36:57 PM
Boxes. Small boxes. Medium boxes wouldn't fit in my trunk.

But I fit 12 boxes! And other stuff.

No trunk liner? Poor man's BMW. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 18, 2013, 06:17:11 PM
No trunk liner? Poor man's BMW. :lol:

Trunk liner? Like a trunk mat? It's there, it's just buried under stuff.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

On the trunk lid. It's just steel.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on November 18, 2013, 03:47:48 PM
Storing shit in general is a pain and a waste of space, hoarder.

Moving co I've used delivers boxes and buys back any unused ones, so no "pain" of driving to the store.

Last time I moved (10 years ago) I had the moving company do all my packing, so I didn't need boxes at all.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on November 18, 2013, 07:17:36 PM

Last time I moved (10 years ago) I had the moving company do all my packing, so I didn't need boxes at all.

You're an even bigger snob than me.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on November 18, 2013, 08:06:38 PM

You're an even bigger snob than me.

Not a snob, just lazy.  I had too much stuff and was too busy at work.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on November 18, 2013, 08:13:07 PM

Not a snob, just lazy.  I had too much stuff and was too busy at work.

I know, I hate that shit. Main reason I packed my own stuff this time was I saw it as an opportunity to go through everything and throw shit away. I threw a lot away, but still have too much shit.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on November 18, 2013, 08:21:56 PM
I know, I hate that shit. Main reason I packed my own stuff this time was I saw it as an opportunity to go through everything and throw shit away. I threw a lot away, but still have too much shit.

My mistake was not going through my stuff before.  I ended up throwing out a lotn of stuff after I had paid to pack and move it.

Rich

The moving company puts the shit in their boxes for me :huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

NomisR

I've been looking at the Chevy Volt and it's beginning to look like a reasonable proposition.

MSRP at $39995 for a 2013, and you can reasonably negotiate down to about $35500, plus cash back of $7000, so you're looking at $28500, and then add in $7500 federal tax credit, and then $1500 state tax credit.. i'm basically looking at $19500 + TTL for a 2013 Chevy Volt, plus some decent fuel savings and HOV lane usage.  What do you guys think?

I'm mainly looking at the HOV lane usage which will save over an hour a day in driving time, and everything else +  new car is just an added benefit..

Laconian

ChrisV likes his and he's owned a bazillion other cars, though he seems to have a high tolerance for automotive idiosyncracies.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on November 19, 2013, 03:54:58 PM
ChrisV likes his and he's owned a bazillion other cars, though he seems to have a high tolerance for automotive idiosyncracies.

He like's the PT Cruiser.. nuff said.. :lol:

But I actually didn't mind the Volt when I drove it.  It's steering was nicely weighted, not stupidly light nice majority of the cars today.  It's brakes is actually normal and not like a Toyota hybrid where it feels like it has a piece of wood for brake pads.  Good acceleration.  The only major downside is really the trunk space and not a lot of backseat room, but then it's a 4 door, and overall interior room is the same as my RSX right now. 

It's just... bland...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on November 18, 2013, 07:17:36 PM

That's my next move....

-----------------------------------------------------

dream next car= red with sunroof, seats 7, and can tow > 3000lbs.  Thinking Flex, Highlander, Pilot, etc...
(someday want to do camp trailer)

------- ------------- ---------------- -------------------

Seems Volts should be sold in crazy crazy colors to attract attention (plus the boring silver/greys)
-I'd rock one. I could probably do 90% of my commute without gas...
Will

Laconian

My parents started down the route of a midsize SUV but apparently towing trailers really needs a Big Truck, especially if you're going up and down mountains.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on November 19, 2013, 03:00:19 PM
I've been looking at the Chevy Volt and it's beginning to look like a reasonable proposition.

MSRP at $39995 for a 2013, and you can reasonably negotiate down to about $35500, plus cash back of $7000, so you're looking at $28500, and then add in $7500 federal tax credit, and then $1500 state tax credit.. i'm basically looking at $19500 + TTL for a 2013 Chevy Volt, plus some decent fuel savings and HOV lane usage.  What do you guys think?

I'm mainly looking at the HOV lane usage which will save over an hour a day in driving time, and everything else +  new car is just an added benefit..

Meh, the next one will be much better, but it's still a ways out.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on November 21, 2013, 06:15:23 AM
Meh, the next one will be much better, but it's still a ways out.

Yeah, I know.  But I can't wait.. since the HOV stickers in CA are limited in availability so most likely they won't last that long.

Plus I can use them till 2019.  And hell, at $20k... seems reasonable for since cars that price are around the same size.