Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Rich

Quote from: NomisR on November 21, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
Yeah, I know.  But I can't wait.. since the HOV stickers in CA are limited in availability so most likely they won't last that long.

Plus I can use them till 2019.  And hell, at $20k... seems reasonable for since cars that price are around the same size.

And the new one won't have the same discounts and may even have a higher sticker price.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on November 21, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
Yeah, I know.  But I can't wait.. since the HOV stickers in CA are limited in availability so most likely they won't last that long.

Plus I can use them till 2019.  And hell, at $20k... seems reasonable for since cars that price are around the same size.

Well, then yeah, I'd jump on it.  They aren't bad cars by any means.  Since I have no idea how HOV lanes work:  Does it stay with the car, or the driver?  Can you eventually replace the volt with something like a Model S in a few years and transfer it?  Can you sell it years down the road when they've stopped giving them out?

When I was in San Diego the other week, I was blown away by the "express lanes".  You pay a few bucks, and you get to travel in 2 lanes that the peon traffic doesn't get to drive in.  It was bizarre.  We don't have anything like that in Ohio.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on November 21, 2013, 12:58:54 PM
Well, then yeah, I'd jump on it.  They aren't bad cars by any means.  Since I have no idea how HOV lanes work:  Does it stay with the car, or the driver?  Can you eventually replace the volt with something like a Model S in a few years and transfer it?  Can you sell it years down the road when they've stopped giving them out?

When I was in San Diego the other week, I was blown away by the "express lanes".  You pay a few bucks, and you get to travel in 2 lanes that the peon traffic doesn't get to drive in.  It was bizarre.  We don't have anything like that in Ohio.

HOV lanes usually works with 2 or more and sometimes 3 or more in CA.  CARB allows cars with ZEV to be able to drive in the HOV lanes which currently includes EV, and plug in hybrids, Hydrogen, and CNG vehicles. 

The stickers are non-trasferable as they go with the car, there's currently 2 types, Green and white.  The green ones are recent that only came out when the Plug In Hybrids came out which replaced the yellow hybrid ones that expired.  The white ones have been around for 10+ years now that are only available to EV, Hydrogen, and CNGs.   The white ones will most likely still be around after 2019 while the Green ones will simply expire. 

There's also Express Lanes that you can use to avoid traffic like you said which also applies to car pool eligible vehicles, but you need to actually have Express Pass to be able to access it. 

So pretty much, if I get the Volt, it'll be around until the HOV sticker expires.  With the cost of $20k though, it seems like an worthwhile upgrade.  At 30 or $40k... not so much.

dazzleman

I plan to buy the A6 in mid-December.  I'm just waiting for my bonus number now.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

Quote from: dazzleman on November 23, 2013, 11:14:55 AM
I plan to buy the A6 in mid-December.  I'm just waiting for my bonus number now.

How are you going to option it out?

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 23, 2013, 11:19:26 AM
How are you going to option it out?

I think the Premium Plus or something like that.  I have the information at home.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

Quote from: dazzleman on November 23, 2013, 11:59:45 AM
I think the Premium Plus or something like that.  I have the information at home.

Interior/exterior color?

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 23, 2013, 12:03:42 PM
Interior/exterior color?

Moonlight blue exterior with naugat brown interior.

Rupert

Yay for not grey/silver!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

I might have to get the new Mitsubishi Mirage, as long as someone makes a trailer hitch for it. Them MPG, them sticker price. No fun cars until my shop is built.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on November 23, 2013, 12:16:45 PM
Yay for not grey/silver!

I know.  I like darker cars so much better.  I always regretted getting silver on my current car.

CJ

Diesel or no?

dazzleman

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on November 23, 2013, 07:53:37 PM
x2

I'm trying to be more ecologically friendly with the smaller engine.  It has all the power I need.  More is a waste of money for the initial purchase,  gas and insurance, and can only get me in trouble.  I'll get in enough trouble with the 6 cylinder.  That thing is FUN to drive and begs to go fast.... :pullover: :lockedup:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on November 23, 2013, 08:51:35 PM
I'm trying to be more ecologically friendly with the smaller engine.  It has all the power I need.  More is a waste of money for the initial purchase,  gas and insurance, and can only get me in trouble.  I'll get in enough trouble with the 6 cylinder.  That thingnis FUN to drive and begs to go fast.... :pullover: :lockedup:

Yeah but it's your money, so I want you to spend it on the S6.

Lebowski

That's cool, can't wait to see pics.

Rupert

I'm trying to be more ecologically friendly with the smaller engine.  It has all the power I need.  More is a waste of money for the initial purchase,  gas and insurance, and can only get me in trouble.  I'll get in enough trouble with the 6 cylinder.  That thingnis FUN to drive and begs to go fast.... :pullover: :lockedup:

Look at this fuckin' hippie.

CALL_911

Who cares, it's not like money's a problem for you. What are you going to remember more when you're 90, your TT V8 S6, or your little economical supercharged V6 A6

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on November 24, 2013, 12:12:36 AM
Look at this fuckin' hippie.

I'm a rebel to my last breath.. :praise:

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 24, 2013, 12:35:33 AM
Who cares, it's not like money's a problem for you. What are you going to remember more when you're 90, your TT V8 S6, or your little economical supercharged V6 A6
I'll be very happy with the A6.  I am a guy of low-key and modest tastes.

J86

Nice, I like the Audi.  blue on brown will look great.

SVT_Power

I just went on the Audi website for the first time in a long while, wtf is this "Progressiv" and "Technik" trim level bs?  :wtf:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT_Power on November 24, 2013, 02:30:54 PM
I just went on the Audi website for the first time in a long while, wtf is this "Progressiv" and "Technik" trim level bs?  :wtf:

They've been hiring displaced Ikea designers.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: J86 on November 24, 2013, 12:19:10 PM

I vote for brown with cream leather interior. Ultra classy.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on November 24, 2013, 12:19:10 PM

Thanks man.  I want a dark colored car.  I think they look sharp.  And I like the brown interior.  I've had grey the last two cars, so this will be a nice change.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on November 24, 2013, 08:00:12 PM
Thanks man.  I want a dark colored car.  I think they look sharp.  And I like the brown interior.  I've had grey the last two cars, so this will be a nice change.

Yeah it will.  Plus, it's a lot easier to keep clean than lighter colored leathers. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I am seriously thinking I will need a pickup truck for towing and hauling stuff for my land.
Cheap
Rugged
Common
Easy to repair/upgrade
I believe GMT400 is the answer.
A reg cab, long bed, 2wd V6 5-speed would be ideal.

Rupert

Ha, I'd be looking for an old Ford Highboy 3/4 ton.